• This topic has 65 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Read any good books lately?
  • cbrsyd
    Free Member

I am currently reading ‘We must talk about Kevin’. It is rather heavy.

If you’re more than halfway through, perservere – it is worth it by the end. If you’re less than halfway through… you could just skip to the end and not miss a huge amount in terms of plot development.

Don’t skip to the end, stick with it.

Brilliant book and her next one “So much for all that” is really good too.

gecko76

‘The City and the City’ by China Mieville at the moment. Good, if a bit generic so far. ‘The Scar’ is properly awesome.

london_lady
    Free Member

Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein – exposing the extortion, racketeering, prostitution and gambling rings associated with Japan’s yakuza.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein – exposing the extortion, racketeering, prostitution and gambling rings associated with Japan’s yakuza.

What, you mean there’s a link between gangsters and organized crime? Amazing! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Saw Iain Banks at the book fest last year in Edinburgh he was great, although his favorite of this books is “The Bridge”

I might agree although it was a while ago and one of the first few I read. It was outstanding.

Surface Detail was heavily layered with loads of stuff though – topical social issues, a sort of meta-allegory and secular evangelism too.. if that makes sense… I wonder what Banks thinks of Dawkins and co..?

Whilst in the middle of reading about the Culture I looked up.. glanced at my top end laptop sitting there and thought ‘we are just pathetic…’

Anyway, before that the last book that properly sucked me in was the Poisonwood Bible by Barbra Kingsolver. Different, but good. Quite mainstream for me too 🙂

yoshimi

Europe: A History by Norman Davies

Epic but engrossing :-

benman
    Free Member

Way behind the times, and probably a bit mainstream for many but I’m on the final part of the millenium trilogy – ‘the girl who kicked the hornets nest’. Enjoyed all 3 books so far.

Also halfway through the Bourne trilogy. Can highly recommend ‘Endurance’ about Shackleton by Alfred Lansing. Slow to get going but an incredible tale.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Way behind the times, and probably a bit mainstream for many but I’m on the final part of the millenium trilogy – ‘the girl who kicked the hornets nest’. Enjoyed all 3 books so far

Currently on book two, great series.

Oh another favourite is London Fields, especially as when I read it I lived there.

englishbob
    Free Member

+1 on Jo Nesbo

Read the Snowman and Red Breast and am now on Nemesis.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

+1 on Iain (M) Banks.

William Gibson does it for me. The older ones are technically a bit out of date now, but still a cracking read. The last 3 are more contemporary, but still fantastic.

Alastair Reynolds is pretty good too. Only read the one so far – Chasm City – and enjoyed that.

…and of course anything by Terry Pratchett…

cupra
    Free Member

Helmet for My Pillow – Robert Leckie, having just finished With the Old Breed by E B Sledge. Sledge book is superb. Both follow US marine campaigns in the pacific in WWII.

househusband

Another Nesbo fan here; may I suggest ‘Jar City’ by Arnaldur Indridason in a similar vein.

Joe Abercrombie’s ‘The Blade Itself’ looks good – thanks to whoever suggested.

CountZero

+1 William Gibson. Love everything he’s written, but particularly the ‘Bridge’ trilogy, and the ‘Bigend’ trilogy.
    Attended a talk by him at the Brighton Worldcon in ’85, I think it was, the most incredibly laid-back bloke you can imagine. Practically horizontal. Nice guy, too.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I started “The Count of Monte Cristo” at New Year, but put it aside to read some cycling books. So far I’ve enjoyed:

“We Were Young and Carefree”, Laurent Fignon’s autobiography. Very candid and revealing.

“The Rider”, Tim Krabbe. Contains the unforgettable lines

“Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me”

“The Escape Artist” by Matt Seaton. Very poignant.

samuri
    Free Member

Normally I’m of the opinion that 99% of STW forum posters are as thick as shit and not afraid to make it obvious.
    But this thread has nicely highlighted the fact that there are bright people here and despite their sometimes socially inept choice of book, one or two of them do have a modicum of intellect.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Samuri,

You must be brainier than me because I thought it was only 93%.

samuri
    Free Member

well I only get to see English posts so that probably pushes the stupidity index up.

2bit

+1 China Mieville

Just finished reading the Kraken. Intersting weirdly good but not as good as Perdido St station or the Scar.

I love m Banks and rate Peter Hamiltons Commonwealth Saga (Pandora Star & Judas unchained) & Nights Dawn Trilogy right highly. Both are epic sci-fi & up there with my favourite Banks (no piss taking 80km ships though)

IdleJon

stuartie_c – Member
    I started “The Count of Monte Cristo” at New Year, but put it aside to read some cycling books. So far I’ve enjoyed:

Dumas is still one of my favourite authors, and this is one of his best.

Just finished Forever War, Joe Haldane. Excellent read. I’m amazed that I missed it when I went through my teenage sci-fi phase in the 80s.

Before that I read Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing. Another excellent book. One of the best I’ve read in a long time, I’d say. Somebody mentioned a sense of loss after finishing Surface Detail (which is in my ‘to read’ pile!). I had the same sense of loss after finishing The Crossing. Never mind, I’ll read Cities of the Plain soon.

I read JG Farrell’s The Troubles at the end of last year, which I’d recommend although it is a slow burner!

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Another one for ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’ – I’m not much of a reader (short attention span) but it was properly awesome 😉 Also agree on persevering with ‘We Need to Talk About Kevin’, but I actually quite liked it from the start..

Everything else I’ve read is either probably considered a classic or will be writings on the New York school/abstract expressionism or Zen Buddhism.. (Zen in the Art of Archery is quite good). Glad I was obliged to read One Hundred Years of Solitude because it has one of the best endings to a book I’ve ever read, and The Naked Ape is good for bed-time reading

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK – must get back to “The Count…” and make time for it. I’ve spent the afternoon trying to read “Reflective Teaching” for my masters – holy jesus, it’s hard going…

IdleJohn – agree on The Crossing. Great book with a haunting ending. Have you read “Blood Meridian”? My all-time favourite book, probably.

noteeth
    Free Member

I had the same sense of loss after finishing The Crossing

Snap. The she-wolf’s final stand especially so – and the closing scene is about as sad as anything I’ve ever read.

Easily one of my favourite books of the last few years.

andywarner
    Free Member

I’m nearing the end of the Sharpe series. It’s easy-going and stereotyped to the hilt but it’s a damned good yarn. Also started “I, Claudius” last night, which looks like it might take a bit more staying power! I don’t think you can beat Sebastian Faulks though as far as contemporary literature goes.

djc1245
    Free Member

Just finished Operation Mincemeat, great book. Now reading Saints of New York by RJ Ellory.

derp
    Free Member

Last two I have just finished.

Moe

The tent the bucket and me – Emma Alexander, hilarious!
    Why Does E=mc2 (and why does it matter) – Prof Brian Cox, brain overload
    Good Morning Nantwich – Phil Jupitus

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Read any good books lately?’ is closed to new replies.