Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rear light that works.
  • BadlyWiredDog

Any suggestions for a bright, weatherproof rear light? So far the Peak has killed pretty much everything I've thrown into its cage, generally the combination of wet and grit kills connections and switches – micro-switches not so good once they're full of fine grit.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

julianwilson
    Free Member

blackburn mars 3.0. A faff to get open to change batteries (you even have to undo three screws) but the upside is that it's very weatherproof indeed.

zaskar
    Free Member

Cateye LD 1100 is the best rear light I've found on a budget.

I used to use a LD-600 cateye which was great prior to the above.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/cycle/7/Cateye/Lights_-_Sets/

I coummute and train in the worst of weathers and none of them have stopped.

I don't like my front light EL-530.

BadlyWiredDog

No, killed two of those, the press button above the switch lets water in, it's really not sealed properly. The momentary switch on the one on my kitchen table is clogged with grit. But cheers for the suggestion.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I use one of those mini Exposure jobbies, but you need an Exposure light.

markd
    Free Member

The NiteRider Cherry Bomb is the one you want. HTH.

BadlyWiredDog

Actually I lied, it's corroded to buggery, the switch that is, obviously got wet 🙁

woffle
    Free Member

I use one of those mini Exposure jobbies, but you need an Exposure light.

not strictly true – although I occasionally run my RedEye from my Maxx-D I popped into Maplin and picked up a switch, a 2-AA battery pack and appropriate wire – cost about £2.50. A bit of soldering and electrical tape later and it works fine, independently from the smart port and nice and waterproof in my saddle pack.

it's very bright!

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Ah, good idea, i run mine from a joystick on my helmet (the micro one)
    Wish i had a Maxx D so i could run the big redeye rear., but i run an Enduro Maxx with no smart port.

woffle
    Free Member

well, 2 rechargable AA-s, a cheapo saddle pack and a trip to the maplin website or similar and away you go! I prefer not to have the wire running the length of the bike so the Maxx-D is there as 'backup' incase the batteries run out and I forget to take spares…

thomthumb
    Free Member

my mate has a light that has no 'switch' it's completley sealed. it has a magnet on the bracket that you swipe past to switch on/off. dunno whatit is tho. sorry.

BadlyWiredDog

Cheers for all the input, just ripped the Mars 3 to pieces, dismantled the microswitch and scraped the corrosion off the contact, works fine again now. Going to get some silicone grease around the switch opening, but it's frankly just not a very bright design.

BadlyWiredDog

Oh, and I'll look into the Exposure light idea, looks like a good 'un.

BadlyWiredDog

In fact I have an Exposure Piggy Back battery just sitting around doing nowt, I wonder if it'll run straight off that???

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Holy Hand Grenade of Cateye. Great light.

grahamb
    Free Member

If you have a lumicycle front light, their back light is worth a look. No switches to go wrong, it just plugs into the existing loom from the battery.
    Nice & bright too.

zaskar
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member
    No, killed two of those, the press button above the switch lets water in, it's really not sealed properly. The momentary switch on the one on my kitchen table is clogged with grit. But cheers for the suggestion.

I've got 2 of these and one of them has better sealing than the other but never had a problem with either of them but I don't go off road with them.

I've dropped one in a bucket of water and it was still working!

matt_outandabout

blackburn mars 3.0

I can confirm that even after multiple 20' jumps into a Scottish Loch whilst in my buoyancy aid pocket, these are still waterproof…

Spud

I'm using a Knog at the moment which seems to be standing up well to all weathers.

CountZero

I favour the Knog Bullfrog myself, incredibly easy to fit to the bike, and everything is encased in flexy silicon. Bit of a pfaff to change the batteries, but there's no problem having to have a bunch of brackets if you've got several bikes. Very bright, with a bunch of different modes. Got a Toad as well, for town riding and dull days. Again, self-mounting, so I don't worry about stupid brackets or different bar sizes. Perfect commute lights.

woffle
    Free Member

In fact I have an Exposure Piggy Back battery just sitting around doing nowt, I wonder if it'll run straight off that???

They're both male connectors so you'll need a male>male adaptor but it should do…

BadlyWiredDog

Holy Hand Grenade of Cateye. Great light.

Killed one of those 🙂 The rubber boot over the switches comes off, water gets in, the connections die, only one row of LEDs working now. Great when it's working, but again poorly sealed.

I've just used some silicone sealant in the switch opening on the Mars 3.0, if that doesn't sort it, then nothing will.

Exposure here I come for winter. Or back to my home-brewed red P4 Dinotte :-/

nickc

Smart mini LED

These seems reasonably well sealed, mines been running happily for a couple of years now (admittedly not in your neck of the woods though)

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I still use my ~8 year old Vistalite Total Eclipse

It's taken everything i have been able to throw at it and is still going strong

Not that that's any help to you since I dont think you can buy them anymore 🙁

zangolin
    Free Member

Smart Superfalsh 1/2 watt LED rear?

Had a couple for 2 years survived 2 winters + nothing in this price range comes near for brightness (not yet?).
    Have you tried a thin bead of silicone or smear of grease around seal.

epicyclo

AyUP have a red clip on reflector that goes on their lights. A set of them facing backwards should do the job 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

BWD – I've had a problem with loosing rear lights (They fall off on bumpy bits) and I've come to the conclusion that buying the cheapest I can get hold of is best. There's a discount shop near us (£1 shop-type place) that sells some half decent ones for £1.99, and I cable tie them to their mount now, which helps. You can easily take them apart and clean the contacts, too. Maybe try something like that rather then wrecking expensive ones?

smiffy

same here, several cheap ones zip-tied all over the place, bin-on-failure. I reckon cheaper than changing batteries.

grumm
    Free Member

Great attitude – ever heard of rechargeable batteries?

FWIW my Blackburn Mars has been fine but I don't use it off-road.

clubber
    Free Member

I've found the most reliable lights to be backupz. I've got two (the 6 led model) which have been through winter training, mtbing and cxing right through the year in all sorts of foul, muddy weather. If you're worried that they're a bit small, for the same price as most other lights, just get two though I've found a single one to be plenty bright enough. They're easy to fit (no mountings to fit to the bike) and they never come loose.

Perfect IMO

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8749

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rear light that works.’ is closed to new replies.