Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a light weight 1 /2 man tent – ta
  • s8tannorm
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new tent. It’ll mainly get used solo for wild camping trips but the option of fitting in a small GF or biggish dog would be good. It must have a porch for wet gear and brewing up out of the rain.

Terra Nova Laser seems to fit the bill but is expensive and I’ve heard can be difficult to pitch well.

Wild Country Sololite is cheaper but I think could only ever be a solo option.

Vaude stuff only seems to have a very small porch area.

Vango tempest 200 or Spectre 200 are much cheaper (under £100) but both weigh around 2.5KG.

They’re the options so far. I’ve looked at lots of others but they’re either too small, only have mesh inners or too heavy. Anyone any other ideas or experience of using any of the above?

Cheers
    Stuart

DickBarton

Which half of your body do you want under the tent?

davidrussell
    Free Member

Hilleberg akto – fits all the criteria above but its expensive c. £300 great piece of kit though.

you’ll have to make some compromises along the way regardless i’m afraid.
    cheap = heavy (mostly) or single skin (condensation issues)
    big porch / lots of room = expensive or heavy

The TN is very light but reflected in materials i.e. you can spit peas through the groundsheet. Apparently if you’re picthing on rough ground you have to be careful not to tear the groundsheet. Also for bike camping you’d have to pack it well in case of a tumble, because it would shred the tent if it was exposed in a fall.

I bought the Akto after looking at the TN laser, Vaude Hogan ultralight argon, a vango one man single skin job and a north face job. The hilleberg is heavier than some (pack weight c. 1.35Kg) but its massive and so well made I know i’ll have confidence in it whatever the weather. I think you’ll have to make some calls on what you really want out of the tent and examine all the products out there. It like Keith bontrager said – cheap, light, strong – pick two. 🙂

See this website for useful info – ultralight gear

Joxster
    Free Member

The mad persons outdoor shop

Have a look here for good, lightweight tents, Martin who runs it a complete loon and likes to do silly ultra marathons in the Artic circle. If the stuff isn’t up to his standard he won’t stock it.

boblo
    Free Member

Depends really what you’re doing:

Ultra light solo backpacking: TN Laser Comp or Photon. No frills, no room for dogs/girlfriends/full size companions

‘Luxury’ Backpacking: The Akto above or good value; North Face Tadpole, now around £150. Lots of other stuff around at ~1.5kg – 2kg

Bike packing: See ‘luxury’ backpacking

I use a TN Laser Comp for superlightweight one person backpacking and a Robert Saunders Spacepacker if I have a mate along. Yes you need to be careful where you pitch (as you do with all nylon groundsheets) and space is limited that’s how they’re light…. Don’t expect frame tent levels of space but revell in the lack of weight.

I use a North Face Tadpole for bikepacking (or backpacking when I can get someone else to carry the extra weight :-)). Fantastic tent, loads of room, bit cool in winter as there’s lots of mesh (‘merican design).

Lastly, a TN Quaser is used for carcamping, winter mountaineering and times when weight is not an issue. These are bomb proof (almost) and have loads of room. I used to use a Phoenix Phortress, double A pole tent for these types of uses. Very strong and reliable though heavy and not as roomy as modern domes.

So, if you want superlightweight one person+smal dog/midget, go for a TN Laser otherwise the Akto or Tadpole if £££’s are a consideration.

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry… the MSR hubba gets good press. Similar use as Laser.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Saunders Jetpacker / Jetpacker plus

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Cheers folks … it’ll be 80% bikepacking. I’m wondering if 2 tents might be a better idea, something for me solo which will get used more often then a 2nd cheaper/heavier tent for when I’m not alone. I’ll be solo most of the time and the GF or dog will only come along when the weathers good.

I’ve taken a look at the link Joxster… theres some good stuff and prices on there, cheers.

Stuart

stufield
    Free Member

North Face Tadpole 23, its great little tent doesn’t weigh much, packs down small and has a lot of space when up. The DL version has less mesh and is redesigned for the UK market. I take a trailer when bikepacking so although there are probably lighter tents, for the money its perfect.

singlespeedstu

We went for the MSR Hubba Hubba HP.

Been very please with it so far.

Pippin
    Free Member

As a shameless plug, my hennessy hammock is on fleabay at the moment…

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Hennessey hammocks in much use at the Welsh Ride Thing a couple of weeks ago … very impressive.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a light weight 1 /2 man tent – ta’ is closed to new replies.