Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a MTB friendly rucksack!
  • tom496
    Free Member

Hi, I am doing the coast to coast this summer and need to find a decent MTB friendly rucksack around the 25 to 30 litre capacity mark. I borrowed a friend’s Berghaus free flow 30 last year to do the Sarn Helen (Wales coast to coast) but it proved to be a really uncomfortable.

Can anyone suggest other models/ manufactures that could help? I have looked around but most modern packs seem to be thin and long which is not ideal when sat on a bike plus look forward whilst wearing a helmet.

Any help appreciated, cheers Tom

joolsburger
    Free Member

CRC have a couple of 30L packs made by Evoc maybe OK??? Or maybe a Dueter they have one that big.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Osprey?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I bought a north face “Hot shot”. Probably more waterproof than the Evoc bags, and I use it on my bike all the time.
    Got mine here: http://www.routeone.co.uk/Store/keyword-is-hot+shot/product-is-50657
    You can get it in all black aswell if you don’t like the colour scheme.

aP
    Free Member

OMM
    Inov8
    Lightweight

Dogsby

Deuter due a good range of packs in this size. I have a 30l one and it is excellent

Dogsby

sambob
    Free Member

Inov-8 race pro FTW. The hydration bladder is inside the hip straps so it’s really comfy and weight is kept low down. Waterproof as well.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno if it’ll be big enough but Dakine bags are great.

pondering_panda
    Free Member

I’ve has a Deuter ‘cross bike’ rucksack for about two years and use it for everything. Goes with me to work, biking, walking, swimming – everything. Still in one piece and works like a charm. I would definitely recommend Deuter.

StuE
    Free Member

I have an 2.5 and 3.0 which are the best bags I have used. http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Enduro-colour-option-of-all-black-or-red-black.html

singletracksurfer

another vote for Wingnut – especially for heavier loads as the weight is distributed onto the hips which is a real back saver. Enduro or Adventure.

danceswithcats

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op’s own brand: it’s done two years’ commuting and weekend mountain biking and nothing’s torn yet. I think it’s made by a famous German brand but it was only forty-odd quid, as opposed to nearly a hundred for the branded one. The mesh panel is brilliant when I’m not wearing a coat; not sweat-free but much less claggy than with my previous ruck sack.

Tiger6791

Love my HAWG deluxe..

It’s 18L but not sure I’d want more than that on my back if doing long days.

Can you not put more weight onto the bike? and have a smaller pack?

stumpy01

I’ve got a Vaude bag which is 20L, expandable to 25 and it’s very comfortable.
    I think they do a bigger one which is 25, expandable to 30L.

Actually, just clicked on danceswithcats link above & that is the bag I’ve got (the red one). It’s a Vaude Splash Air 20+5.

Compare this: http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?site=index.html&prod=7835&vid=94979&function=set_lang&lang=en with the link above.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought one of the Edinburgh Bike Co-ops sacs. They’re made by VauDe. I’ve got the 25 + 5 litre one with compression straps which I think are essential on a sac this size that’s going riding with you
    here

The thing that really appealed about this is that it seems to be a rare example of a sac with a dedicated and easy to access map pocket.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Another shout for vaude, got it for a 7 day trip to Scotland, used it for everything from walking trips to going down the shops since. Strong, light, big and cheaper then some more fashionable brands

WEJ

I use an Osprey Talon (25L?) and an Ortlieb waterproof bag on a seatpost rack. Works well off road as you can split the weight between the rucksack and the bike. You can bias the weight to suit the day, eg, if you think it’ll be a lot of pushing and carrying, then put most of the weight in the rucksack with the bulky, light stuff on the rack. Otherwise place the weight on the rack, and have a lighter rucksack.

I’ve used this combination a few times and works well for me.

BigJohn

I know it shouldn’t be, but it is…

…my Vango Canyon 25 from a local walking shop is incredibly comfortable when fully laden, and it has a pocket for a bladder too.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Osprey Talon 22. Specifically designed as a “multi activity” sac. It’s very comfortable on the bike (or walking), with weight taken by the hip straps rather than shoulders, very clever design, adjustable back length, good bladder system, good back venting. Just the best designed pack I’ve ever come across

thomthumb
    Free Member

try and get some weight off your back and stick with a smaller pack. large saddle bags / frame bags etc etc. you will be pleased of it.

tom496
    Free Member

Wow, cheers all for the info; it looks like I have some serious research and trying out to do. Thanks again..

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I have a Lowe ALpine Crag Attack daysack which suits me fine. Its comfortably, holds a respectable amount of stuff, has pouches and holes for a camelback…only problem so far discovered is that it’s not terribly waterproof so a daysack liner is required. I recommend the Ortlieb drybags. Whilst they are expensive for what they are, they are absolutely guaranteed to keep your stuff totally dry. The lightweight nylon ones have a tendancy to give up at a certain point and start absorbing water rather than repelling it.

erny
    Free Member

Osprey talon 33 works very well for me,2 different back lengths so you can get a reaally good fit for your height

thomthumb
    Free Member

Osprey talon 33 works very well for me

i have the 22L. excellent bags.

stayhigh

I have a Deuter FUTURA which is great. Its very comfortable even when fully loaded and is cavernous to say the least.

Very happy with it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a MTB friendly rucksack!’ is closed to new replies.