Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend some good tunes
  • Stranger
    Free Member

I’ve got plenty of listening time – what should I fill it with?
    I have no taste – apart from a dislike of R&B.

Just don’t waste my time suggesting tunes I’ve already got 😀

Thank you

MrNutt
    Free Member

just listening toGiant Sand proVISIONS, goes ok with a nice coffee

13thfloormonk

Two of my current favourites, both of which are very good accompaniment on long solo road rides, are Magic Potion by the Black Keys, and Passover by the Black Angels.

Black Keys are like the White Stripes but a bit dirtier, and the Black Angels do some good psycadelic wall of noise droney guitars with some thumping drums and great vocals.

MrNutt
    Free Member

the Black Keys are a decaffinated blend when held up to the light next to the mightly JSBX

13thfloormonk

Noted MrNutt, although I’d mentally labelled the JSBX as kinda dad-rock. 🙂

Care to recommend an album?

And if they’re like a caffeinated version of the Black Keys then they should be pretty damn good (although lets not make any comparisons to the Black Keys latest, which is **** lame, stupid over produced nonsense)

MrNutt
    Free Member

Now I Got Worry ~ Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (June 23, 1999)

that should do for starters?

Stranger
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas – I’ll check them out later, dad rock actually sounds OK to me, I might be able to dance to them!

More suggestions?

bassspine
    Free Member

have a look here aurgasm
    ‘your favourite music you’ve never heard of’

MrNutt
    Free Member

I am astonished that I neglected to mention “Land of Talk” they are very very very god indeed.

Stranger
    Free Member

“very very god”
    I normally find assertions like that a bit over the top, but I’ll give them a try.

Any non-rock suggestions?

If I said I liked Blood, the Franz Ferdinand remixes, would that help someone make a recommendation?

chvck
    Free Member

Have no idea if this is your sort of thing but:

Streaming goa trance

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Alabama 3 – no idea what label to give it, but it makes me smile. Turn it up loud. Zero 7 for some laid back stuff.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m quite into Ladyhawk at the moment.

13thfloormonk

Hmm, just picked up “Now I Got Worry”. I suppose you could call the Black Keys ‘decaff’ compared to this, if only because they play more slowly and the lead singer isn’t quite so, um, hyperactive. 🙂

Still think the black Keys edge it for raw, weighty blues tunes, wrenched out of tortured guitars and long nights on the bourbon and cigarettes etc etc…

For a bit of rolling-stones-meets-oasis-meets-a-lot-of-drugs-and-ego, check out the Brian Jonestown Massacre “Take it from the Man”. Lots of people say these guys are over-rated, and they’re probably right, but people never mention this album, which i reckon is by far and away the best they’ve done.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

seamonsters – TWP

rob2
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow – good choice!

Try IAMX (ex Sneaker Pimps) or Postal Service

Or go retro with Pop Will Eat Itself ‘Def Con One’ or Soup Dragons!

Stranger
    Free Member

Some interesting suggestions there, thanks everybody.
    Any suggestions where I can get JSBX and Brian Jonestown Massacre from cheap on-line?

baa
    Free Member

The Two Gallant alt country/punkish.
    The Riverboat Gamblers, underneath the owl.
    Nick Cave, dig lazarus dig
    The Hold Steady, boys & girls in america.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Calexico – Feast of Wire
    Owt by the Futureheads or Rammstein

nickc

Son Lux: At War with Walls and Mazes.

The Early Years: All Ones and Zeros

Grouper: Dragging a Dead Deer up a Hill

Bon Iver: Blood Bank

All pretty much non-rock (apart from the early years)

If you like any of those try also Passion Pit : Chunk of Change, their new album is out soon I think, guaranteed you’ll be hearing it all summer, you may as well be ahead of the curve.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Answer – great new rock band out of Oirland.
    The Four Horsemen – Just imagine ZZ Top, the Black Crowes, AC/DC and the Stones all out on the piss and you’re nearly there…!
    Oh, and for a total change, Copeland’s Appalachian Spring. Lovely.

RustySpanner

Uzual Suspectz – middle aged Manc muso’s – superb, check ’em out on itunes.

Little Feat – . Music that sounds like a snake moves – funkier than James Brown’s wedding reception.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZsSydzQjM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOlTZGuLKM
    Think Lowell may have had a smoke before these…….and we must NEVER allow those trousers to happen again.

Stranger
    Free Member

I went to see Little Feat years ago, must have been in the seventies, at the Apollo in Manchester I think. Top band!

dawson

+1 for Brian Jonestown Massacre.
    Have a look for ‘Dig’ its a documentary type film that shows what kind of person Anton Newcombe is.

Also, Doves – manchester band – i’ve got the new album and its great!

andrew
    Free Member

+2 for Brian Jonestown Massacre (and for Take It From the Man and also Satanic Majesties Second Request and Give it Back!.

But AN was extremely insulted by Dig: he contends that it was edited to make him look like an asshole and bore little similarity to actual events. I’m inclined to believe him as he’s a nice guy – very chatty on myspace.

Never really took to JSBX – for head-on blues’n’roll you’ve got to walk 47 miles of barbed wire to beat The Gun Club’s “The Fire of Love”; what followed was an evolving sound always heavy with the degenerate South. With a little swagger thrown in Tav Falco’s Panther Burns also mine that vein pretty well. But I digress as I’ve not listened to them in years.

Julian Cope’s monthly ‘Address Druidon’ at Head Heritage usually throws up some interesting stuff (although I can’t support his choice of an imaginary Kiss compilation as album of the month – tho’ I guess it was 1 April and they are beloved by his missus).

The reviews at Terrascope are usually pretty varied and interesting.

My most recent purchase is Æthenor’s “Faking Gold and Murder” but that’s not so much ‘good tunes’ as ‘disturbed Italian movie soundtrack’.

And having said all that, The Earthling Society are well worth checking out for a variety of psych-inspired songs.

chewkw
    Free Member

ABBA.

😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some good tunes’ is closed to new replies.