Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Riding Glasses recommendations
  • richc
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend any riding glasses? as I don’t generally ride with mudguards and have had a few issues recently with crap in my eyes.

Only thing is I am a sweaty bugger, so I seem to fog up most glasses pretty quickly which kinda defeats the point of them if you can see anything. So what do people recommend?

The Adidas evil eye climacool’s, like these:

seem to have potential but I noticed they have stopped making them 🙁

FOG

I have got some of the Adidas evil eye which are excellent. I am a sweaty fat sod and they don’t seem to steam up except on very long very slow climbs and even then they clear as soon as you get the slightest breeze over them

kimbers

i got some nike haul e viz and theyve been outsanding so far good choice of lenses too

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4695

i got mine on sale for much cheaper than the rrp and they are my least misty glasses yet

fwiw i find my head too big for smith glasses

richc
    Free Member

cool, I will have a look around at the Nikes.

How are the adidas ones standing up to abuse FOG?

Houns

The new Oakley vented Jawbones will be supoib. Full review when mine get delivered

Wally

I have some adidas evil eyes with prescription insert. They are as new, no scratches, and just this week been replaced by some optilabs. Lenses are yellow and a dark multicoloured tinted set. Can not see a reason to have two pairs of prescription glasses. Prescription bit just clips in, so unclipped are fine for you. If interested e mail me. I need to review the silly price I paid for them though, it may be the prescription part was 60% of price so you would be better off new.

The-Beard

I use vented m-frames, works a treat and you can pick up spare lenses pretty cheap these days.

richc
    Free Member

Hmmm, can’t find anywhere selling the Nike Haul.Es online at the moment but they look to be good option (if I can track them down) at £40->£50 as that way it isn’t the end of the world when you lose them.

kimbers

i just looked and couldnt find any either think i payed 35 from je james

richc
    Free Member

just found some at yorkcycleworks (?) they look OK, so I reckon I will give them ago.

29erKeith
    Free Member

google ‘sunwise’
    uk company got some nice new designs
    good quality and not too pricy either

clubber
    Free Member

I use m-frames (which you can pick up relatively cheap now that they’ve been ‘replaced’ by Radars) which have never fogged while ridding and have lasted years, making the value rather better than it would seem based on the initial cost.

psyclone1976
    Free Member

just ordered some evil eye’s too as they take a prescription insert. vision3k do a rimless insert which is better than the standard one. Alot of lens options too. only problem is that they are expensive.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Bolle Spider safety glasses from eBay. £6/pair with anti-fog lenses.

yoshimi

Any advice for someone with a wide head and nose…….glasses advice that is

Taz

Big head and nose here

Just bought a set of Tifosi Envy. Only used on the road so far (many times). Photochromatic lenses (change depending on light).

Very happy! Initially they looked a little small.

Off road tomorrow. Will be interested in how steamed up they get at slow climbing speeds.

£55 – your LBS should be able to get a set.

Surfr
    Free Member

Photochromatic work going in and out of the trees? I’m torn between a clear lens and photochromatic. Can the photochromatic ones be worn at night?

jfeb
    Free Member

Taz – when you say “big ..nose” is your nose broad? I have a broad ridge to my nose so find glasses often sit too high on my face and I usually have to go for glasses with wire nose pieces that I can open up a little. Do you fit this description (and therefore the glasses might fit me)?

Taz

Yes broad nose apparently. Optician has said that in the past and usually has to pry the nose piece wider apart!

The Envy clear to 12% so pretty much go clear (as far as I can tell!). Not done it but reckon they will work at night.

Tomorrow will tell how good they are in and out of trees.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve never met anyone with photochromatic lenses who thought that they were any real advantage (for off road at least) and most seemed to think they were too slow to react making them dodgy at times…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Second the Bolle safety gear for around £6. Just goes to show what an incredible ripoff Oakley et al really are

Taz

My Specialized transitions were more than capabaly of changing quickly enough. Only small issue I had was in Morzine on le Pleney. Down the fastest section and straight into dark heavy wooded area. It took a few seconds to adjust. Only time I ever noticed

Will see how the Tifosi ones cope on a regular ride

crikey
    Free Member

Just goes to show what an incredible ripoff Oakley et al really are

Presumably you buy the cheapest food, alcohol, clothes etc., that you can because the other stuff is a “rip off”?

I used to buy cheap glasses for riding in, then tried some Oakleys and never went back.

Alb
    Free Member

For the month of June there’s an offer on the new Giro glasses – buy any Giro helmet and get any item of eyewear at half price (at participating Giro eyewear dealers). Pretty good deal if you’re in the market for new lid and glasses. You could even stash the helmet away until needed to take advantage of the cheap glasses. Some of the glasses come with Zeiss lenses etc so quality-wise they’re some of the best around.

james
    Free Member

“I don’t generally ride with mudguards and have had a few issues recently with crap in my eyes”

A front mudguard?
    Either one that also stretches to in front of the fork, a removable RRP one that fastens to the fork crown and arch or a piece of inner tube tiewrapped on?
    At least then you don’t have to clean some glasses?

simon_g

Bolle Silium for me. Also about £6 a pair, no VAT as they’re protective equipment, and the reassurance of meeting all the relevant impact testing standards.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Endura spectrum’s are excellent, and a bargain at £15. I tried some bolle glasses from ebay but didn’t get on with them.

jfeb
    Free Member

I like the Bolle saftey glasses but they scratch really easily and fog up. So when I say I like them I mean that they fit and they are cheap! Functionally they are a bit crap IMO.

I’ve used Bolle’s before and actually have a couple of pairs sat with my bike stuff. I’ve always found them ok, but they do fog and do scratch quite easily, despite being tagged as scratch resistant.

However, I bagged some Specialized Singletrack Adaptalites dirt cheap (£20) and they are streets ahead – only fog when stood still and you don’t even notice the lens change.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

top tip for bolle wearers…

rinse them them put a dab of neat washing up liquid on both sides of the lenses. rub em around and gently rinse off. leave to air dry. they should dry streak free but if not a light rub with an old tshirt will do.

no more fogging!

izakimak
    Free Member

i’ve got specialized adaptalite’s too, i smear a little bit of washing up liquid on the lenses and wipe it off with a lens cloth this stops them steaming up.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a pair of Specialized san Remo. Very comfy and they don’t suffer tooo badly from fogging.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Presumably you buy the cheapest food, alcohol, clothes etc., that you can because the other stuff is a “rip off”?

I used to buy cheap glasses for riding in, then tried some Oakleys and never went back.

and some people live on caviar and shit money…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Call me a cheap skate if you want but I don’t see any point in spending £50 on a pair of riding glasses because no mud guards means lots of mud on the glasses and how often do you correctly clean them and make sure they are grit free before buffing them on your dirty jersey?

My answer is ALDI! I purchased 5 pairs of their £3.76 tripple lens set glasses made by crane. They come with clear, dark and yellow lenses, bag, polish cloth and a flipping fantastic value for money.

I came off in the woods last week and face planted the ground, snapped my glasses and didn’t worry over my £3.76 investment. If it had been my driving Oakleys I would have been close to suicide!

aP
    Free Member

I have a pair of Rudy Project frames with the ImpactX photochromic lenses – they’re great. The only place that was bad was descending off the Col de Lauteret through all those tunnels, but fortunately as I have very poor eyesight I have the flip up lenses so could see in the dark tunnels in a pack at over 30mph.

paradigmshift
    Free Member

Oakleys will fix or replace glasses for a minimal amount of money, or at least they did previously.

A couple of years ago they fixed a 10 year old pair Oakleys and all it cost was the renewal warranty fee, which was just over £10.

Although if you are prone to losing or smashing glasses then cheap ones that you don’t care about are always better.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Presumably you buy the cheapest food, alcohol, clothes etc., that you can because the other stuff is a “rip off”?<

You presume wrong my friend – I have 3 pairs of Oakleys as a matter of fact. Good sunglasses, nice fit, look cool but scratch pretty easily ime. So, for keeping the ‘crap out my eyes’ per the OP I find the Bolles just as good and I’m not really fussed if I drop them scratch them when wiping with my glove etc etc

crikey
    Free Member

and some people live on caviar and shit money…

I’m sure they do, but some of us just work hard…..

Del

+1 for spesh adaptalites
    +1 bolle safety specs for night riding.
    +1 for pi55 flap/beef curtain on the forks.

it’s not often that i can use ‘i couldn’t see’ as an excuse for falling off! 🙂

nicko74

This thread has got me thinking now – my Racing JAckets just don’t cut the mustard when it comes to venting, and fug up like…. a very foggy thing. I’m tempted by the Spesh ones (possibly Berms) but can’t find many reviews. Opinions?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Riding Glasses recommendations’ is closed to new replies.