Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • riding the HONC?
  • sheldona
    Free Member

We’ve been out today and ridden pretty much the 50k route and the going is fantastic. Mostly dusty trails so if the weather this next week is good next weekend will be quite easy going compared with last year.

grahamh
    Free Member

I’ll start the rain dance :mrgreen:
    On second thought I’m riding it this year, better cancel that rain dance.

sheldona
    Free Member

Nooooo, it’s the best condition I’ve seen the Cotswolds in for a couple of years!

singlespeedstu

sheldon.

You’re going to struggle to even make the start after we’ve got you hammered on Saturday night. 😛

sheldona
    Free Member

Points and laughs @ stu, maybe but I won’t be spending the night in my garden!

singlespeedstu

I’m in getting in with Paddi and Pozo.

I’ll be safer in there……

sheldona
    Free Member

LOL yeah!

patentlywill
    Free Member

was up pootling around Cleeve Hill Saturday – dry and dusty – but just a dash of driving hail for 10 minutes as a reminder of past years…. should be good

grahamh
    Free Member

For those waiting to get their grubby little mitts on the route,
    they are now available from :-

http://www.honc.org.uk/ and
    http://www.thecorrective.com/downloads/downloads.php

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

I did a fair bit of last years 50k today too, I agree, it was great, nice solid trails with some interesting ruts and runs.

Should be fun

No/471 signing off!

clubber
    Free Member

Comparison of 2008 100k, 2009 100k and 2009 50k
    http://www.clubber.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/honc_08_09.JPG

Glad to see that road climb from the start last year has been dropped (though I wonder what the replacement will be like…)

Looking forward to it and now considering the longer routes since the conditions sound better than last year (where I did 75k on what I then thought was zero fitness but now realise that compared to this year, I was as fit as superman…).

MrAgreeable

Clubber, if you’re looking for a hideously unfit companion to bimble round the long route with, I’m your man. 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

looking at the route card, your going to love the first climb…. Not steep, just seems never ending.

clubber
    Free Member

I think that LVIS might be fielding a whole peloton for the 50k…

IHN

Glad to see that road climb from the start last year has been dropped (though I wonder what the replacement will be like…)

From memory (it was the first climb three years ago), this year’s is similar to last year’s, a tarmaced single lane track

Not steep, just seems never ending.

That’s how I remember it.

Overall, this years route strikes me as a bit, well, tarmac.

aracer
    Free Member

Overall, this years route strikes me as a bit, well, tarmac.

Remember it’s not supposed to be a mountain bike ride.

weaty
    Free Member

Some advice please from those in the know. Would it be best to use a cx bike this year or an mtb ?

I used a cx last year for the 100k, thought I might go mtb this year.

IHN

Remember it’s not supposed to be a mountain bike ride.

Yeah, I realise that, it’s just that this year seems to be particularly roady. Last year, by comparison, wasn’t.

I appreciate that a lot of work goes into sorting out the event, it wasn’t meant as a criticism, just an observation.

Weaty – Given the amount of tarmac, I’d CX it (in fact I am).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bugger!

*joins grahamh in the raindance*

Think of my poor wrists! 😡

sofaking
    Free Member

so doing it on a singlespeed monstercross isnt a good idea then ?

IHN

Since when did that stop you?

MrAgreeable

I think that LVIS might be fielding a whole peloton for the 50k…

Are any of the non-whippets thinking of giving the long route a go?

clubber
    Free Member

Having ridden it several times on mtbs, I rode it on my cross bike last year and reckon it’s around 134 times better – fast on the road and the relatively non-technical stuff for an mtb is much more fun on a cross bike 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

MrA – there’ll definitely be some LVISer on the longer route – basically the fast boys (and TBH I wish I was fit enough to do it too…)

aracer
    Free Member

It was rather wet last year though, clubber. The last time I rode it was on a crosser, but not sure I’d do so again when it’s very dry (as it was then). Good on tarmac and fun on a lot of the off road, but the rutted stuff baked solid – of which there was a considerable amount – was not any fun at all.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, fair point – I’ll take a view on that depending on the weather/conditions.

weaty
    Free Member

I had a bit of a spill last year and knackered my bike, I guy called pat alexander who was looking after the marshals I think, lent me his spanking new whyte out of his van to do the rest of the course on.
    Does anyone know if he is involved this year ?

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t know if Pat will be their but due to his job(whyte bikes) and his role in Cheltenham and County i would suspect he will be somewhere,

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

MrA I’m doing the full 100k – I don’t know that I come under the category of ‘whippet’ or ‘fast boy’ though.

Do I have my own category of ‘wannabe’?

grahamh
    Free Member

Pat will be out on Sunday.
    If conditions get any dryer then some of the lumpy fields are
    going to be really interesting for those with not suspension.. 😈
    Oh and if he has the Whyte 19 team he was riding the other week end, you would kill to ride it.

MrAgreeable

Do I have my own category of ‘wannabe’?

Nope, that definitely describes me too. You MTBing it or ‘crossing it?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

My choices are ‘CX’ bike (i.e. my rather sturdy commuter with some CX tyres on it), a woefully undergeared (though still rigid) singlespeed or a stupidly overweight and overbiked full sus.

I think I’ll go CX and just grin & bear it.

MrAgreeable

You mean, go CX because all the vibration damping you need is provided by your enormous pulsating man-orbs.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep.. I’m doing the 100k. God knows why as i’ve only ever ridden a max of 54k before! 😯

I’m not a race whippet by any means. (need to dig out some racing ralphs then)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Regretably, my comendable man breasts utterly failed to damp out the highly unpleasureable resonant frequencies in the bumpy fields last year.

I’ll be honest, I’m only doing it for the cake.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing the 100K MrA.

grahamh
    Free Member

You don’t need to be a race whippet, its endurance that counts not speed.

trickydisco
    Free Member

ooopss.. i was replying on Mragreeable’s post

Are any of the non-whippets thinking of giving the long route a go?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

At least it looks like it isn’t going to rain – looked at the weather yesterday and it was dry all week except for just Sunday morning when it was going to tip it down!!! All changed today!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Anyone think it’s doable on a road bike or are the off road sections too nadgery?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘riding the HONC?’ is closed to new replies.