Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Righto – Pentlands ride Sunday 8th November
  • Kit
    Free Member

I got told to start my own thread, so here I am (you happy now Rob? Well, are ya?!? 😉 )

I thought this time that we could start from Harlaw Visitor's Centre, so that the Balerno riders can more easily join us. If folk are passing through Bonaly on their way, perhaps we could arrange to meet earlier and bike round.

Say, 10am at Harlaw? Don't forget snorkel and life jacket!

Kit
    Free Member

Bump this up for the morning crowd.

robgarrioch

I'll be in for this Kit, hoping we cover this 'nail trail' I haven't ridden yet

13thfloormonk

Haha, I can tell you now that the nail trail will consist of a lot of puddles, and the top section is a bit swampy at the best of times.

Always felt it should be a summer only trail of the likes of Black Hill etc…

Kit, I'm definitely up for riding, will have to see how the weekend pans out though (already got a big ride planned for Saturday)

Kit
    Free Member

I wondered what the Nail Trail would be like at the moment, having ridden it in the dry – there'll be some boggy bits for sure! We'll see how the weather progresses over the week.

AlasdairMc

I would avoid it at the moment as it's going the way of Pistachio woods, i.e. a churned up mess. If you feel you must ride it, avoid the top section by continuing West parallel to the road and taking a right when you can go no further. This adds on another mile or so, but avoids the boggy top part.

This trail is best in summer and darkest winter, and nowhere inbetween.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I tend to agree with AlasdairMc. Its either that or drainage needs sorting / repairs need to be done.

Kit
    Free Member

I've only ridden it once, so didn't know what it was like. Best avoided by the sounds of it (like much of the Pentlands at the moment 🙁 )

13thfloormonk

I'd wondered about doing repairs, but given the militancy of the local anti-bike brigade, i didn't think it would be wise to broadcast our presence!

AlasdairMc

true, it ain't called the Nail Trail for nothing!

Drainage would be an idea, there are some parts that sit pretty low and would benefit from a run-off of some sort. Perhaps it would be an idea for a non-riding working party to head up there sometime with no mention of the fact we're bikers and see what can be done.

13thfloormonk

Alasdair, I'm in for that, but can't provide any tools. Are you local, can you get hold of a spade or two?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I cant make Sunday unfortunatly.

I was up last week and some of the bits I know were getting pretty muddy.

I began to wonder if there were more "suitable" winter tracks that are still interesting?

Anyone got any pointers (apart from my usual loop of Harlaw, Maidens, Green Cleugh, Red Road, Beech Ave)?

Edit: apologies for the hijack!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I might be up for the ride, will see how my week (and the weather) pans out. Anyone got a route/distance in mind yet?

robgarrioch

Nail Trail – haven't ridden it, don't know exactly where it is, but I'll muck in with any underground improvements (am a construction manager so could get hold of a few implements / pipes / theodolites etc.)

Paul – I guess the route will stick to resilient paths, us being the responsible types (esp. with mud-chopper tyres on..!) or those already shredded beyond repair – Dreghorn army road, anyone..? 😉

Northwind

Think I have a family thing on sunday though maybe I could do both.

As for a bit of ninja gardening, definately count me in, I've even got me own little spade. If anyone can figure out any way to keep pistachio a bit more intact this year- other than hiding in a bush and jumping out and whacking any knobber riding through it when it's hib deep in mud- that'd be another one worth looking at, I've done wee bits there myself but it's going to go to hell again over the next few months anyway

(there's a rideable diversion round each of the 2 really muddy patches in pistachio btw, first one's obvious- hop the tree root on the left- but the second one just beside the big fallen tree needs a bit of imagination…I did some ground clearing in there early in the year, might reopen it some quiet weekend, but it'd need some effort to make it actually good to ride)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to say I don't mind pistachio getting churned up – there is an alternative path if you don't want the mud and its nice to be allowed some mud to play in given that I tend to avoid other bits when wet.

ojom
    Free Member

In complete contrast to this – we were planning a Road-Lite ride on Sunday. Kinda out to North Berwick for chips and cake and tea and then back to town.

We would be aiming for a relaxed to comatose pace and all would be welcome if they fancied it.

2 rules:
    1. No Heros
    2. If you want to speed off and do some sprints or something you must stop and wait at the next junction for the last person.

I will make you all a cup of tea before we go if we go ahead with this (weather permitting!)

Mark
    (if its a rubbish day for road then we might come up to the Pents)

GlenMore
    Free Member

Mark – perhaps a new thread would be in order.

ojom
    Free Member

on you go.

Kit
    Free Member

Bah, I'd actually be up for that Mark, however I have my adoring fans to think of and couldn't let them down.

Kit
    Free Member

Time for a thread resurrection

Proposed Sunday route, in an anticlockwise loop starting from Harlaw (or Bonaly, depending who's coming). Click the link for a proper sized version.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingerfox/4078477839/sizes/o/

Open to suggestions, but I think this will be a decent loop in what will undoubtably be very wet and muddy conditions.

Kit

Northwind

Looks good to me… Still not 100% sure I can make it, but assuming I do either Harlaw or Bonaly works as a start point, it's not like they're far apart after all. I like this route more, no riding up puke hill :mrgreen:

13thfloormonk

Looks like a good loop Kit, although I might slope off when we get to Torduff…

10am at the Harlaw Car park?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'll be up there sometime tomorrow morning to give a new build it's first try out so wave if you see someone on a Van Nicholas as it'll probably be me.

Kit
    Free Member

10am, Harlaw Visitor Centre, Sunday 8th.

Will you be coming up through Bonaly Ian? Rob (assuming he's coming) and I can meet you there about 9:30ish.

13thfloormonk

Yep, I'll meet you there.

(assuming the Uni club don't rip my legs off on Saturday that is)

Kit
    Free Member

Ian, YGM (hopefully)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Looks good. When you say visitor centre, is that the Ranger centre on the map? I'll more than likely be going up the WOL from Stockbridge area to Balerno the on the road to Harlaw.

Kit
    Free Member

Hi Paul, yes the Ranger Centre.

I'll be heading up the WOL to Colinton then up to Bonaly. Drop me an email if you want some company.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Kit YGM.

robgarrioch

Will catch you around Bonaly whenever yer passing guys – is Ian suggesting a detour down white hill?? Might take the pitch then, can't look totally inept without a decent bike, can I? 8)
    Will 'mail you my mobile no. Kit, I presume you'll be heading for Torduff / Clubbiedean…?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

take the pitch then, can't look totally inept without a decent bike, can I?

Steady there Rob! I'm expecting to see some super extreme gnarlyness now!
    😀

13thfloormonk

Um, i wasn't, although I have no objections…

Depending on how people feel, and the weather, I thought going across the top of Capelaw then descending might be a bit more fun? Short sharp climb for a longish fast descent. Admittedly in the wind and rain thats a stinking idea.

Kit
    Free Member

Oi! MY ride. MY route. 😉

Indeed, we shall see how we are doing on the day. Weather's supposed to be decent, or so I've been told.

I'd actually considered Capelaw, Ian, but its been years since I've done that singletrack across to Green Cleugh. However, if the weather's braw, then Capelaw it may be 🙂

robgarrioch

I'm going to regret putting that smiley in…
    Worry not Paul, this aint a case of the podgy kid saying 'don't really play the guitar much', then laying down some jaw dropping solo riffs
    This is proper 'some-gear-no-idea' ineptitude!

Can I propose Ian is restricted to a slick road tyre out the back, to give us half a chance…

13thfloormonk

Sorry Kit, don't mean to hijack! Although… are you confusing Green Cleugh with Phantom's Cleugh?

Rob, you do me too much credit, but as it is I'll be on the singlespeed, seriously restricted climbing (and I won't miss Puke Hill, thats for sure!)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Ian doesn't need that slick to get the back end out! photo evidence too… 😀

Kit
    Free Member

are you confusing Green Cleugh with Phantom's Cleugh?

Errr…. maybe? 😳

AlasdairMc

I forgot to say that I'll be along too. I'll see you at Harlaw at 10.

Al

robgarrioch

So far, due to warm beds & central heating, it would appear we have;
    Kit
    13thfloormonk
    Paul Gillespie
    AlasdairMc
    RobGarrioch

Possibly;
    Northwind
    Friend of Robs + friends brother, both on rigid s'speed 29rs (Just added by me! Sibling competitive streak will see them keeping the pace hot!)

Any more for any more?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Righto – Pentlands ride Sunday 8th November’ is closed to new replies.