Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RL853 owners – seat clamp query
  • iainc

I have noticed that when I have the bolt done up tight enough to stop the post slipping (which is pretty tight), the bolt has quite a bend, with both ends pointing forward a few degrees as the steel frame lugs are pushed in under tension. Any likliehood of the bolt breaking ? think i might get a spare one…..

(newish Thomson post, dry and clean, no wear and a tightish fit to push into frame)

Thanks

iainc

just seen a pic on another thread where someone has put a QR clamp on – looks like a salsa maybe ? might try that if someone could advise size etc and how it works with the lugs

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rock-lobster-853-riders

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm, I used to have an RL so understand what you are saying. I definitely got a replacement bolt from Merlin, used a Thomson seatpost too. Must confess to being rather paranoid about slipping seatposts!

PeterPoddy may be able to help as Mrs Poddy had one too.

iainc

cg – thanks for that, think I'll order a spare bolt for bottom of my camelback !

yeah, I reckon PP will have an idea -) I sold him my first RL853 frame which he singlespeeded after I damaged the mech hanger dropout !

iainc

now where is peterpoddy when you need him ? 😆

Kahurangi

iainc – my (bought in '09) RL853 came with a 'normal' seat tube so that I used a 'normal' QR collar, much like the one in the photo, I suspect.

iainc

JonT – mine is an 06, and has a couple of lugs brazed on the tube which take a bespoke bolt – sounds like they have updated, cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm on holiday when you need me! 😉

Actually I never had a problem with the normal bolt. Kirsty had a Lobster too, and we dud fit a QR to that for a while, but it was only cheap and never worked too well. I reckon your best bet us to make sure you have a decent seatpost ( that's not worn in the clamping area) and get either a new bolt from Merlin, or a really good quality replacement from somewhere else: I.e. Not a bike shop!

iainc

cheers Peter – the Merlin bolt that is in is ok, it just takes a bit of a bent banana shape when tightened up enough (good Thomson post, not worn, tight fit, 12.5 st rider 😆 There is actually no way the bolt cannot bend, as the faces on the lugs lean in towards each other at the front when tightened. I think the lugs have maybe stretched a bit over time. I guess as long as the bolt holds the post it will be okay, as it is made of steel – just a bit worried about eccentric loading on the threads. I think I will just get a spare incase and then forget about it !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RL853 owners – seat clamp query’ is closed to new replies.