Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Rebound
  • boxxer7
    Free Member

I built up my NP mega about two weeks ago and have been out riding on it, and im finding the shock very lacking and mostly in the rebound dampening.

First ride was a 12 mile XC based loop taking in everything from road to a short DH. Found the shock perfectly fine, so next ride was a day out at Puddletown Forest nr Dorchester. First thing i notice was im running out of travel, so that was easy put a bit more air in, shock was a little harder so started to have a go at a couple of drops and faster runs with bigger hits and the shock is keeping up but there is very little damping control even on its slowest setting I would still put it as fast as a result i get thrown off my intended line.

Im about 13.5stone and running 200 psi in the shock, if i let it down to about 100psi the rebound seems fine but It is way to soft its almost like it cant cope I also realised its the high Vol version too? Anyone had any similar problems? Im contemplating a DHX 5.0 air now?

Cheers

Dave.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Bump

Deveron53
    Free Member

Check the shock body and see if it heats up. A mate of mine had a reboundless Monarch on his Mega and the shock was warm after a very short trip. It should run totally cold. Get it sent back via your dealer to Fishers. 4 days and it’ll be back with a full fail sheet and list of corrective action.

boxxer7
    Free Member

OK will give it a check later on today when i go out, Thanks for your reply. 🙂

Dave.

Blower
    Free Member

did you sort this Boxxer7?

boxxer7
    Free Member

Yeah I bought a CCDB! 🙂

To be more helpful it went back to fishers and they rebuilt and returned it, was exactly the same! then started to leak 🙁

What sort of pressure are you running and what sort of riding?

I think I replied to your other thread too.

Dave.

Blower
    Free Member

Running around 190.

riding i dunno really,any kind of riding,all round goodness.

cheers

Blower
    Free Member

this shock is utter shite!

retro83
    Free Member

more likely you are running the wrong tuning, any mainstream shock would be the same in that case

Blower
    Free Member

hmm dunno,ive played about loads with it..no rebound adjustment

now got 200psi in at 30%sag,for mi hard hitting stuff,but rebound none the different.

BlobOnAStick

What causes you to say that Blower?

I don’t know if this is any consolation, but I run mine at about 220psi (which is by far the highest pressure I’ve ever run in a shock) and the platform at minimum and rebound damping at about a quarter (i.e. on the faster side). This means the sag is at about 25%.

I haven’t felt the need to reach for the adjusters at all – the pivot point position means the rear is completely bob-free when riding up/along and the rebound feels spot on – springy on the jumps without being too lively on the bumps.

To be honest I’ve found riding the Mega to be an absolute scream, an experience I will repeat in about 2 hours time!

There is surprisingly little info on this shock though – I’m not even sure if the platform damping should have a lock-out setting or just 3 levels for instance.

Blower
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong im no expert on suspenion,yes the megs is sweet,

but i like mine slow on the rear and for the drops-jumps,which cant seem to get like i can on a rp23.
    i have my rebound set 3 clicks from the slowest and hardly any difference between that and the fastest or the slowest 😕

what weight are you running that at 220psi? and you mean your rebound is set a quarter away form the fastest setting?

cheers

hughjengin
    Free Member

My Mate has the same shock on a brand new Titus rockstar from On-One, and the things didnt work at all, it had what appeared to be full compression damping and full slow rebound dmaping on, and all the adjusters in the world didnt make a scrap of difference

BlobOnAStick

I’m about 14 stone with camelbak and clobber on.

I’ve just popped down to the basement where my bike is and had a fiddle (fnar!) and I agree there’s very little adjustment at all.

I also realise that I’ve been running it on the fastest setting, not about 1/4 as I stated (I think the tuning adjustment fairies may have been fiddling – i.e. the kids)

I guess I’m lucky that it suits me! I like a lively bike, and I’m chunky enough for the rebound to be about right.

Maybe the oil weight in the damper is too light? I seem to recall that at a lower pressure the damping works OK, so maybe as the pressure goes up the wieght of oil needs changing?

LoCo
    Free Member

I belive the shock is specced in a specific state of tune to work with the linkage on the bike.
    It maybe that at lower pressures the rebound damping is sufficient to control the shock but at higher pressures it is overwhemled.

I found the rebound a little quick on the Fox fitted to my Ariel when running higher pressures for less sag when riding XC and before I lost a bit of weight.

It all depends on what area the shock has been tuned for i.e a ‘joe average tune’ which means slightly heavier riders running a bit more pressure may find the rebound a bit quick.

BlobOnAStick

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/rear-shocks/product/review-rockshox-monarch-rt3-11-45242

Above was posted yesterday and backs up what LoCo is saying. Maybe some shocks have been fitted with the wrong tune?

hughjengin
    Free Member

I think my mates shock was just a plain baddun. It was beyond a tuning issue. He returned it to one one and is waiting to hear back. But it was plain unrideable.

Blower
    Free Member

Cheers Loco makes sense that,
    im 13.5ish stone withough my gear on, wanting it set more for agressive type stuff i suppose, roughly 30% sag and slow rebound which does’nt seem possible.the average joe must be a bit lighter than me.

mtbr a bit deep for me Blobonastick ha!

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have a similar issue.

30 percent sag
    rebound as fast as possible, but still feels dead and when preloading then jumping not much happens and very nearly came a cropper on a largeish gap jump when i cased the landing big time. Is it possible to get the rebound faster ??

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have now put my Van R on the back of the mega which has transformed it. But I still want to be able to use the Monarch for trail duties etc.

I really find the shock dead in the rebound department even at the fastest setting 😡
    Any other mega owners had this problem? Think it may need to be sent back to fisher for a look?

LoCo
    Free Member

If you’re not happy and think there is something wrong I’d pop it back to them, then at least you should know whether it’s a fault or that the shock doesn’t suit you.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Thats true – wondering whether its just that i prefer the “bounce” of a coil and that cannot be replicated?

LoCo
    Free Member

Possibly but the shock damping systems will vary significantly between models and brands as well as the ‘springing’ medium

BlobOnAStick

Interesting – I’m sure my shock has an ‘H’ in that code (as in HL3)

Unfortunately I won’t be able to check until I get home tomorrow….

LoCo
    Free Member

NIck, The M refers to the rebound tune and L to the compression tune.
    The Monarchs come with two types of comp tune L,M and H as well as L3, M3 and H3.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Blob – yes please report back, interesting to know if they put different shocks on the mega (presume you have a mega?)

brant
    Free Member

The H is a high volume shock.

freeridenick
    Free Member

brant – should the mega have the high volume shock?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Maybe I will get fisher to change the tune to a LOW tune – maybe more coil like afterwards.

LoCo
    Free Member

The tune is a low 3 so maybe worth a try, if it’s not got any other issues, I think Brant will have tested all the tunes and found the L3 to suit the mega best though, Brant?

freeridenick
    Free Member

So I should ask for an “L” tune.?

BlobOnAStick

Oops! Forgot about this ’til I read another thread, sorry!

My shock definitely has the code ‘MH3’ on it, so different tune by the looks of it.

I wonder who’s got the correct one?

freeridenick
    Free Member

ah, just double checked mine is a an MH3 as well!! going to have a proper fiddle with it and see how i get on…

boxxer7
    Free Member

Mine was a MH3 too…..

freeridenick
    Free Member

Shock on its way to fishers… see what happens. Mega was awesome on DH trip to Italian riviera (running coil shock though)
    New swingarm being fitted as per Nukeproof free replacement.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Shock back from Fishers. Rebound Unit was faulty and has been replaced. A quick hour loop yesterday and it seems much better now 😛

BlobOnAStick

Is there much rebound adjustment though?

Mine adjuster doesn’t seem to make much of a difference at all to the amount of damping available (I remain perfectly happy with the set-up however!)

freeridenick
    Free Member

Not a great deal of adjustment no. But before there was no rebound what so ever!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Rebound’ is closed to new replies.