Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Santa Cruz Superlight Build
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Shortly going to be building up a Superlight (08 newer shape). Wondered if there was anything to be aware of, I think I have everything that should work well on it, 100mm Rebas, XT group with exception of brakes – I have some Juicy 3s (?). Any thoughts on a 100mm stem on it?

Either way I guess I just build and have a play.

z1ppy

Nothing out of the ordinary to the build IIRC, got mine setup the same spec (except hope brakes). They run best @ 100mm forks (IMO of course), though will run 120mm happily (even 130mm). Got U-turns on mine, so I can move between 100 or 115mm

damo2576
    Free Member

Thanks, never been happy with the Juicy brakes but they’re just good enough not to warrant an upgrade.

Wheels are Mavic Crossrides which I’ve been v happy with.

stooo
    Free Member

Mine’s a bit more of the hooligan than your XC looking build…

120mm Reba XX with 20mm bolt through, 80mm stem and wide bars… and a Joplin post. Light enough to kick most folks ass on the climbs and stiff and nimble enough for some lunacy on the descents.

Check you other “Show me….” thread for pics and a link to my old thread asking for pics.

damo2576
    Free Member

Thanks, just found it! Looking forward to this build!

batman11
    Free Member

Hi damo congrats on a great frame choice there nothing wrong with your component choices either, but like stooo i would think about a shorter stem i started with a 90mm and ended up at 80mm for everything, mainly because there such a capable frame. You just want to help it pop up and over everything in your path such a shame i sold it on.

Bats.

zerolight
    Free Member

I built up mine the other month. 100mm will probably be fine on it, but it’s superb with a 90mm. The REBAS will work great on it too, though I’d recommend the 120mm (or 115mm) travel option – my local bike shop did it for me via instructions I found on the web, in 20 mins.

shortcut

I will have a second hand large 09 frame and some 100mm reba’s available for sale soon if you are interested. Could post next week. All in good nick, the frame is lime green.

Email in profile.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Will be watching this thread with interest. Think I’ll be changing my Cannondale Carbon for a Superlight in the nearish future.

Pics pics 🙂

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

slowjo
    Free Member

I run mine with 115mm Rebas otherwise similar build except I have got DT240 hubs to make up a nice and light wheelset.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Luuuuuurrrrrrrrvvvvly
    White with my white F120’s I think would definitely work 🙂

robob
    Free Member

love mine with 80mm stem and running c 120mm on a set of Rev u-turns… 120mm bolt thru Rebas would be my ideal though.

they really are far more capable and fun than they have any right to be 😀

stooo
    Free Member

Mine is basically Robob’s ideal bike 🙂

Here she is:

Santa Cruz Superlight by StoooPotter, on Flickr

Light where it can be, strong where it needs to be. Soon to have slightly wider, tougher rims and I keep bending the 517s – lovely as they are, they’re not as tough as that stiff frame and bolt through fork needs them to be.

vrapan
    Free Member

I’d skip the Juicy’s really… Three pairs and they have all been rubbish. Now happily on XTs.

TimCotic
    Free Member

I’ve got 120mm Reba Maxles on mine and an SLX drivechain (except for the xt shifters). I also swapped from 90mm to 80mm stem when I found I was understeering quite often (I guess that’s cos the SL is designed for 100mm travel not 120.) I may possibly reduce the travel by 10mm to see what that does but I’m fairly happy with things as they are. I like the Hope Mini’s but then maybe I never do anything extreme enough to want more power. As a previous hardtail diehard, I’m pretty impressed with the Superlight. I love the low maintenace single pivot too. Recently I test rode a Yeti 575 and couldn’t wait to get back on my SL.

stooo
    Free Member

The SL definitely pedals like a hard tail with some cushioning out the back… it’s strange, you hardly notice the suspension is doing anything, till you go back along the same section on a hard tail. It really jumps out the block when you sprint out the saddle.

bakey

Reba 100-115mm on mine, feels best at 115mm IMO. Juicy 3s here, which I’ve had for 4 years (and not bled) and work just fine. Carbon Easton bars and 70mm stem; SLX drivetrain.

Top, top bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Superlight Build’ is closed to new replies.