Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Saris Solo – Anybody using one yet?
  • ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Looks like the perfect solution for the Fiesta. Usually only transporting one bike. Is it as good/secure as it looks on the Saris demo vid ?

mark.laird
    Free Member

Anyone tried one on an MX5

Paceman
    Free Member

I like the design of these, looks quick and hassle free, not used one in anger though.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

The blurb from Saris is making out that the Solo is a 'get you to and from the bikeshop' accessory but I'd like to know if it has issues on a longer run. Only lacks two side straps compared to the Bones series.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Too and from the bike shop? If your mechanical skills were that bad that you had to take the bike to the shop often enough to justify a rack specifically for the purpose, I'm not sure I'd trust that person to fit a rack to a car! However, it looks like a nice bit of kit of one bike.

TheFlyingOx

Not used a solo, but I have a sentinel(?) that I used on my old MR2. Worked fine and I went from Edinburgh to Sheffield and back with 2 bikes on. I did use a separate ratchet strap as well as the rack straps for peace of mind, but it holds up pretty well. Works fine on my gf's mk1 MX5 as well. Hooks onto the back edge and bottom lip of the boot.

rootes1

Hiya flying ox what Mr2? Mk1 ? Got any pics of the rack on the car? Was thinking of getting a solo as we are an unpractical MX-5 and Mr2 household!

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

DON'T BUY ONE! First trip out. All secured on the car with extra paranoid straps and the thing just wandered all over the back of my car. Yes it was fitted right-tried all possible variations and the thing was fine and secure at a standstill. After 6 miles it began to move about and lift one of the supporting arms. No matter how tightly I secured it, no matter where I positioned it or the bike, it went wandering. It's too flimsy in it's construction and the bike supporting arms are not wide enough apart. Very short trips-very light bike might be ok.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That is bizarre marketing –
    "Whether you need to safely transport your bike to and from your local bike shop or annual charity ride"
    Doesn't exactly inspire confidence but i've never seen a strap on rack that looked safe.

zigzag69
    Free Member

I've been using a Saris Bones one my MX-5 for over a year now ('NC' model, '06). Things you should know:

1. Get some heli-tape down first on the bootlid where the feet will go.
    2. The boot-lid is made of aluminium and it has bent upwards at the rear and now sits a few mm's proud of the body. You can see the lid moving up and down as you drive, very disconcerting.
    3. I've taken two bikes on it several times, but given the way the boot-lid flexes, and with more weight making it worse I try to avoid it.

Having said all that, so far so good, pretty much every weekend a bike gets strapped to the car and off I go.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Saris Solo – Anybody using one yet?’ is closed to new replies.