Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Scotland- wheres rideable at the moment?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

OK, based in Edinburgh.
    Glentress looks like its still snowed/iced over.
    Same with Inners?
    Bonaly/Pentlands?
    Cambursbarron (Stirling)?
    Braefoot?
    Falkland?

Ta, Duane.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Evanton Wood is lovely. Was in there tonight 😛

bruneep

Aberdeen no snow

Northwind

Glentress still screwed, Innerleithen's probably worse. Kirroughtree is apparently ice free and lovely, shame it's in the middle of nowhere really.

The ice was shrinking in the pentlands on sunday and most trails were rideable in a manner of speaking, but it'll be mud central now- so time to avoid all the good, fragile trails. I could see people were still merrily riding through the mud on pistachio and the nail trail, makes me a tad annoyed that, it's not even remotely fun when it's muddy so why mess it up for when it dries? You could still put together a loop of surfaced/durable trails though, it'll just not be very exciting but it keeps the legs moving.

househusband

Did 32km in snow-free East Lothian on Sunday – but then this wouldn't be the sort of riding you're after, Duane!

forge197
    Free Member

Not so local to you but Dalbeattie is rideable, couple of very small ice patches left.

Kirroughtree also according to the 7 Stanes site is looking good.

http://7stanes.blogspot.com/

epicsteve
    Free Member

I was up in the Pentlands last night and can confirm that it was pretty muddy. It's still rideable but I'd advise staying away from places that cut up when wet, including the Nail Trail.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Innerleithen's starting to clear, still plenty of icy patches but loads of riding to be had under tree cover. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

innerleithen's always rideable if you know where to look and don't mind pushing

organic355
    Free Member

what about Carron Valley? anyone been up there in the last week?

Dougal
    Free Member

Just been round Blairadam. The usual in the trees (mud and roots, ace). Ice on the forestry roads, but nothing that isn't rideable.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Cathkin Braes is as far as ive made it. Fine and dandy. 😆

Johnbot
    Free Member

Anyone know how Mabie is by the way?

acorlett

Bump this. Would love to know if CV is rideable – starting to get bored of flat local woodland routes. Need some proper downhills!

italspark
    Free Member

pentlands was passable with care last night
    scottish mountain biking with mud………duuuh !

stuartm555
    Free Member

Bump this. Would love to know if CV is rideable – starting to get bored of flat local woodland routes. Need some proper downhills!

??? CV described as having "proper downhills"

Beagleboy

A couple of mate were up at CV on Monday night. The top section was clear of snow, but the bottom two were still icy. Everything has been slowly clearing away though, so it might be Ok now.

Alternatively, there's a bunch of us meeting at Costa's Coffee tomorrow morning at 9am for a 9.30am kick-off. We'll be heading out looking for some muddy fun and you're more than welcome to join us.

B.

falkirk-mark

Mate was up at CV yesterday he says its still quite icy just now

acorlett

I knew someone was going to comment on me writing "proper downhills". No, it's not the Alps, but it's better than the low-level country parks and woodland routes that seem to be all that's clear of ice at the moment. It would be nice to ride something where the speed wasn't entirely self-generated…
    Thanks for the open offer, Beagleboy, but I've only got the Sunday morning unfort. It would be great if you could update this post after you've been to let us know how it's thawing, though…

organic355
    Free Member

Anyone been to glentress or Mabie in the last week, all the snow gone there?

Kit
    Free Member

I was up in the Pentlands last night and can confirm that it was pretty muddy. It's still rideable but I'd advise staying away from places that cut up when wet, including the Nail Trail.

So… basically everywhere in the Pentlands now that even the descent down Maiden's Cleugh to Glencorse is getting bad? Great!

Anyone want to give me a lift to somewhere? 😉

stuartm555
    Free Member

acorlett – is north third not rideable?

there's a ride organised on uk-mtb for there on sunday morning which you'd be welcome to join … i won't be there but it's an 11am start at quarry road

acorlett

Thanks for the info., stuartm555 – I might see if I can make that. I don't really know that area, but have read very good things.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Probably worth saying hello here if you plan on going – just in case their plans change:
    http://www.uk-mtb.com/index.php?topic=1195.0

epicsteve
    Free Member

So… basically everywhere in the Pentlands now that even the descent down Maiden's Cleugh to Glencorse is getting bad? Great!

Afraid so. I was last up on Wednesday night and even getting up to Maidens from the Harlaw side was a problem as there was still a fair bit of snow on the track after then 2nd gate.

I'm hoping it's clearer by the weekend, but my route's will probably just be stretching the legs over Maidens Cleugh and back via Green Cleugh, with little in the way of singletrack etc.

I'll probably spend most of the weekend building & re-building bikes to cheer me up.

Johnbot
    Free Member

http://7stanes.blogspot.com/2010/01/dalbeattiemabie-and-ae-snow-reports.html

http://7stanes.blogspot.com/

a few updates on there for today, still looking for an update for maybie if anyone has one

aviemoron
    Free Member

Trails lethal here. Road bike at front of bike stable.

iain1775
    Free Member

Mabie clear apparently (local confirmed to me last night ) as I might head there on Thursday

Dougal
    Free Member

acorlett – is north third not rideable?

there's a ride organised on uk-mtb for there on sunday morning which you'd be welcome to join … i won't be there but it's an 11am start at quarry road

Ah, so those trails are going to take yet more beating from mincers. Grew up riding those trails, all the man-lines are now overgrown, and the straight-down lines are rubbish and/or chewed to nothing.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Cheers Iain, thats where il be Sunday then 🙂

stuartm555
    Free Member

dougal i grew up riding them too … and that was before you did 🙂 can't really see you're more entitled to ride there than acorlett is

latiric
    Free Member

Did Inners tonight, no problem in the trees, still a fair bit of icy snow in the open areas. Just great to be out.

Glentress getting better, but still icy in patches.

Go on, give it a go.

gordi
    Free Member

Was at Carron Valley 2 day still very icy but bottom of the Runway is clear, no ice.

AlasdairMc

Dougal,

why don't you clear the man-lines if it's such a problem?

Al

Johnboy373
    Free Member

anyone been up Carron valley this week?

Kit
    Free Member

Attempted the Pentlands yesterday – was dreadful due to slush over ice, or masses of water and trails cut to shreds. The only highlight was Poet's Glen which is now strewn with rocks 🙂 Otherwise, avoid avoid avoid 'til May 🙁

zigzag69
    Free Member

Aye, was up yesterday. Rideable – don't let the initial icy ride up to the start of the trail put you off. Slush, a bit of ice and snow on the land rover tracks (still manageable though), and the majority of single track is fine too – clear under the trees, with clear wheel lines through the snow with plenty of grip for the majority of the rest of it.

I hadn't been up since middle of last year, so was pleasantly surprised by the amount of work that's been done to the top of Eas Dubh and the Runway too! Still had my usual 2 punctures though 🙁

Badger9913
    Free Member

Mabie was ok last Saturday night. A bit muddy but fine

scotabroad

Went round a chunk of Mabie yesterday and it was fine, a bit soft in small areas where the frost is coming out but all rideable. Not many folks there so not getting cut up.

ps. the new bit below the ridge is now open.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Innerleithen DH trails below the quarry are all clear, didn't go any higher at the weekend so not sure what the top is like. The roads still had about 4" of heavy snow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Scotland- wheres rideable at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.