• This topic has 28 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Scratch on Lyrik's stanchion- Rockshox- advice
  • hora
    Free Member

Rough enough to feel under your finger. Forks look like they've fallen against a wall or 'down' something similar. I know with Fox's it means new upper assembly as soon as possible but on Rockshox. Is it possible to get away with it? With of course a self-lowers service alittle more frequently?

http://www.cycletherapist.co.uk/step-by-step-guides/rock-shox-lyrik-lower-service/

lowey

Your Back. Did you get lost over the weekend then ? 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They are borked. I'll take them off your hands for £10.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I guess it depends on the scratch, pictures?

If it was me, I'd give them a service, ride them a few times and strip them down again to have a look at how there doing. You've nothing to lose.

I had a set of Talas that the stantions started to show wear (my fault cos I hadn't serviced them every 5 minutes). I just started to strip them down every few weeks and they never got ant worse (after 2 more years).

Good luck.

rj
    Free Member

I've got the same thing on mine. I just took any burrs off with a bit of wet n dry and then left it. No problems 6 months later.

hora
    Free Member

Ah Lowey yes. Me and binners were 'lost' for a while. He did well holding in his swearwords. 4.5hrs in the saddle and it was getting dark when we rolled back into Wheelbase carpark 😆

Found on another thread- will try the back of the spoon first then fill with nail vanish and soft sand with wet n dry. I only bought the forks last night and stupid me forgot to check them in the light before handing over the money (seller described them as not scratched). Oh well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is the back of a spoon method?

Hooter
    Free Member

Dunno about rockshox, but I've got a set of Marzocchi's with scratched stanctions and they've been fine for 3 years without a service. Given that Rockshox longevity (from my limited experience) is now close to where Marzocchi used to be, you'll prob be OK.

hora
    Free Member

Found it on this thread:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scratched-stanchion-on-my-pikes

Knocked my belief in the bloody STW classifieds though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

who was the seller who knocked your belief then and welcome back you were missed

robgarrioch

A virtually identical thread, from Alpin who'll probably be along shortly without reading previous posts… 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scratched-fork-stanchions-is-there-a-fix

Followed this advice after an unwise & premature foot down on the Lee Quarry 'chute' (foot down into thin air 🙄 )

Few sanding / varnish sessions & couldn't feel it under finger-nail. Doesn't seem to be causing any deterioration either.

alpin
    Free Member

is the scratch on the casting or on the stanchions?

i put a 15mm scratch on my Lyriks when they rubbed against a wall.

using really fine wet'n'dry i took off the burred edges. let it dry completely. then using a clear (hindsight says light gold would have been better) nail lack put a thin coat over the affected area. let it dry overnight. then again with the wet'n'dry go up and down till you touch the anodized surface and have got it smoothed out.

have been fine since then.

hora
    Free Member

alpin when you say casting- what do you mean? Good idea on the light gold nail vanish. Will pop mince into Boots at lunchtime.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he means NOT The stanchion the other bit – black bit above in pic – the bits your stanchions sit in now name and shame dont make me search

Dont say you have turned over a new leaf and now think of the consequences before posting 😉

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard- emailed you off forum. It was a dark/wet night. Stanchions described as no marks. So I took them without checking. I've emailed the seller. Its a private sale though.

hora
    Free Member

Quick question. After a few compressions on the forks- they are leaving a fair bit of oil (rings) on the stanchions. If I carry out the following service would it be suffice or do the forks need a proper full on service (all oil changed etc):

http://www.cycletherapist.co.uk/step-by-step-guides/rock-shox-lyrik-lower-service/

On this last pic you can just see alot of dirt/grit under the seal (theres alot)

Even though it was a private sale. The damage is obvious. I expected some scratches on the stanchion (fine)- there were more than expected. However the damage is consistent with the bike being dropped down a wall etc.
    What would you do? Take it on the chin and put it down to experience or discuss with the seller?

st

The service you need to do is the easy DIY lower leg service, the only oil leaking out through the dust seals is the few ml of lubricating stuff in the lowers. Easy peasy and about 2o minutes start to finish job.

wwaswas

me, I'd send them back and ask for a refund (before I posted a thread on here, tbh).

hora
    Free Member

wwaswas they werent posted though. I asked all the questions. Assured, then picked them up at an arrangement-spot on a wet dark night.

scraprider
    Free Member

um bugger , they are damaged mate ,seller said not scrached , you need
    to ring him asp mate.he should have been more honest, as you said , you should have looked at them wit ha light , good luck.

hora
    Free Member

– Could the damage have happened after collection?
    No. I saw the scratches on the lowers and thought 'the forks are secondhand-scratches on lowers isnt a biggy'.

The scratches are consistent with being on a bike/fallen down the side of a wall.

– Could I have propped the forks on their own up against a wall and the same damage happened? No- the wall would have to be a pigmy-wall. i.e. very small for the angle/fall wouldnt it?

– Could I have dropped them whilst carrying them? No- they would have to have slid along the floor on their side. If I dropped them they have have landed and bounced. The scratches are all in the same direction.

It was the same evening I recontacted the seller.

I'm guessing here but it its either wall-damage or a bike rack. Where another bike has been rubbing against the forks?

I've contacted the seller with a compromise.

nickegg
    Free Member

Didn't you have Lyriks on the 5? and then changed to Revs?

so back to Lyriks hey?? On the 4x?

You'll never stop searching will you? 😉

hora
    Free Member

For me – the Five felt better with lighter/140 travel forks on. When I changed frames though I've come to realise its the Lyriks for a 4x. With a crystal ball I'd have kept the Lyriks.

Funnily I emailed the guy (STW'er) who I sold the Lyriks to asking him if was happy and if he'd punt them back. Not a chance- he loves them and even sent me a pic of him riding them.

Olly
    Free Member

i used nail varnish to fill the scratch, and then bit the bullet with the wet and dry once the varnish had both dried and hardened.

i was expecting the W&D to scratch the surface, but it worked brilliantly.
    cant REALLY feel the scratch now without properly trying to pick at it.

the seals might be less than optimal now i suppose, ill worry about that ome other day.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looks like wall damage where the bike has slid down a wall or similar. Its not massive damage and a bit of TLC should see them good to go.
    BUT, hate to say this, forks sold as seen, you should have looked closer. Buyer beware etc.
    You should have contacted the seller well BEFORE posting on STW. Given seller is on here i would be surprised if you get much joy back from them now.

hora
    Free Member

With a fair bit of time and patience its barely visible. I used gold nail vanish (thanks for that tip). Forks serviced carefully and slowly. I am quite proud of myself 😀

Thanks guys for all your help :mrgreen:

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

"after" pics to show off your handiwork? gold nail varnish I'll have to remember that if I scratch my lyriks thats really tarty 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well done with the servicing Hora, not that bad, is it? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Will take some pics this evening whilst fitting my innertube mudguard 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Scratch on Lyrik's stanchion- Rockshox- advice’ is closed to new replies.