Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Screaming & vibrating makes riding unpleasurable
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Avid Elixir CR – the rear one’s getting on my nerves. Any ideas as to how to stop the noise, vibration and harshness?

wwaswas

don’t brake 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clean ( abrade?) both pads and disc. Bed in again.

Check alignment using the hope method.

Copaslip on back of pads

Chamfer leading edge of pads

nockmeister
    Free Member

Change to solid disks

Get brake mounts faced

Ear plugs…

organic355
    Free Member

Mines the same, I find the vibrations quite enjoyable! 😀

Kamikirk
    Free Member

If the above fails hit them with a heavy hammer.. may not fix it but will make you feel better:)

Big-Bud
    Free Member

i too have this problem & im yet to cure it .will try the above methods cheers.

on a side issue ive never got on with avid brakes

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it’s a known issue

Avid’s ‘fix’ was the solid rotors.

I’ve just bought a pair cheap off’ve merlin and only found out about the issues after i’d got them 🙁

Apparently Avid have done a fair bit of research and have failed to make the issue replicate itself consistently, it happens on some bikes but not on others. it happens on some frames of the same type but not other identical ones 😯

shedfull
    Free Member

If the rotors are the same size, you could also try swapping front and rear. You could also try flipping round the rear rotor and braking heavily a few times (not locking up) to smooth out some of the ripples in the rotor.

dazzlingboy

same issue here with Magura Louise. Currently in LBS getting sorted along with a few other bits and bobs – fingers croosed.

nosedive
    Free Member

I had exactly the same problem with a juicy 3 which I never solved, in the end I replaced the brake. I lent the brake to someone else and it worked fine for them. go figure

only problem is that I replaced the brake with an elixir so now I’m hoping I dont get a repeat performance

Big-Dave
    Free Member

When I saw the title of this thread I initially thought it was about a girl I used to know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

An off the wall suggestion. If the problem is caused by resonance – change the resonance of the system or damp it. Lead solder around the spokes of the disc. rubber blocks on the chainstay, that sort of thing I know of someone who had success with this approach

organic355
    Free Member

Anyone know if those solid rotors and organic pads in the link by mrmichaelwright are free if you suffer from this problem?

iwatajim
    Free Member

Solid rotor and pads are free when you send old ones back. Never solved my problem so my friendly neighbourhood mechanic contacted specialized and talked them into swapping them for hope tech x2’s under warranty! I am positive the problem is the caliper.

mangoridebike

I’ve got this issue with a Shimano rear brake & hub. I’ve convinced its the hub rather than the brake caliper, I’ve changed the pads and the disc with no improvement,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Screaming & vibrating makes riding unpleasurable’ is closed to new replies.