Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Seat Ibiza 1.2 16V – any opinions – Mrs Coolhandluke's possible next car.
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

the A class is going – its been a great car and clocked over 100,000 miles in it without much of a problem, but steering is a bit "odd" due to worn steering linkages and is a £1000 fix.

Up for discussion is a Seat Ibiza 1.2 or a Fiesta 1.2 as she wants to spend £6500 (assuming £1500 for the Merc).

Any opinions – Blue oval or VW stuff put together by Spaniards?

tthew

A new one? Nice, I've had a couple of them as hire cars over the last few months. Good spec, including alloys and cruise control and I think they were lower-down-the-range models. Well put together and comfortable on a jouney. 1.2 is really SLOW though, and IRRC 3 cylinders (??)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Second hand one I'm afraid, 2006 or 2007

I've tried to talk her towards the 1.9 diesel or 1.4, 100 BHP sporty versions but she's sure she doesn't want to go fast. 🙄

Not that that ever stopped here in my old Saab 9-3 Turbo clocking up 130mph on a German Autobahn or burning folk off at the lights in Blight in it…. 😯

or giving it large in my Skoda Octavia Vrs for that matter…

Dai
    Free Member

'02> shape Ibizas are prone to eating their lower arm bushes, parts are cheap but the labour to change them adds up. A new design of bushes have now been issued to help cure it.
    The 1.2 engine has a timing chain, which is great as long as you keep the oil topped up. It uses a hydraulic tensioner so no oil = bad.
    Other niggles are the rear washer pipe popping off, servo pipes splitting and coil packs failing.
    Other than that, very good little cars.

HTH 🙂

Dai (Seat tech.)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dai, cheers, sounds like you know what you're on about…

Is the 1.4 a dog compared to the 1.2 then? reports say the 1.2 is best?

Dai
    Free Member

Wouldn't call it a dog tbh. It's better at low revs as the 1.2 is a 3 cyl and needs revs to get it moving. Your good lady certainly shouldn't worry about the 1.4 being too quick. Test drive both if you can, she may prefer the torque of the 1.4

Bullet

We had an 04 1.2 (3 cylinder) and it was good, clocked up 90,000 without any issues apart from the rear washer pipe as Dai says. Suspension is a bit clonky on bumps but not bad. Strong as well, survived the mrs launching it into a field without much damage 🙂 Got a new shape 1.9 diesel now and love it to bits, loads of grunt and 55mph.

tthew

55 miles per hour. Really living up to your handle there Bullet 😉
    (I'd be guessing 55 MPG?)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i had a 2002 1.2 and it was THE WORST QUALITY CAR i have ever had the misfortune to own.

regular engine management issues, egr valve clogged lots, coil pack broke on one cylinder, chain drive pulleys broke – they are plastic ffs!! both front electric windows failed – again plastic pulleys and guides.

All in shit and cheap to buy – expensive to maintain

for that money/size – corrolla pre 05

Bullet

tthew – no, I'm a very careful driver – 55mph on the outside lane of all motorways. I never have anyone in front of me and loads of people behind who seem to be waving at me – I assume to congratulate me on my careful driving 🙂

Doh- meant 55mpg which is double what I get in my scooby but I'll never part with that!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Seat Ibiza 1.2 16V – any opinions – Mrs Coolhandluke's possible next car.’ is closed to new replies.