Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • SemiOT: Tell me about cargo bikes vs trailers for kid + grocery duties
  • infradig
    Free Member

In the early stages of investigating cargo bikes as a way of doing the local shopping with jr., but it occurs to me a trailer would do the trick as well. Any experiences with either or both?

Also would appreciate any recommendations on cargo/utility bikes. Tops on my list are the Kona Ute or Surly Big Dummy but the new GF Transport looks quite nice.

AlexSimon

I’ve got the xtracycle conversion on an old Clockwork Orange.
    It’s great. I love having a dedicated bike for transporting stuff.

I use it for the school run and for doing post office, tip, co-op runs.

The only problem for me is I have to carry it up/down 30 steps for every ride 🙁
    They weigh a fair bit.

A friend has the Big Dummy with Stokemonkey motor in it. It’s even more great, but I can’t lift the thing, so it’s a no-go for me.

The Kona Ute rides a bit smoother and stiffer than my frankenbike, but I don’t like the pannier style as much, and the rear platform is higher off the ground, which I didn’t like for carrying 2 kids (4yo and 8yo now).

SSB_UK
    Free Member

I’ve spent a few months with an xtracycle and have found it to be perfect for day to day use – I’ve fitted a bike seat to the rear rack (GMG classic) and could fit another if needed. freeloader bags are very adaptable and easily accommodate shopping, recycling or whatever you want. As a child carrier it seems ideal as it the child is up with you, but not hanging off your seatpost. I suppose the downside to an xtracycle or other longtail is that they take up more space than a normal bke, but on balance I felt that was better than a trailer which would also need storing etc.

Both the Ute and Transport look good if you don’t want the expense of a Big Dummy. Only the latter struck me as an all round load carrier, which is why I’m currently building a Big Dummy (I’ll sell the xtracycle ;-))

You might want to look at:

http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/ (Rob)

http://www.practicalcycles.com/ (Zaynan)

I’d also recommend looking at the Yuba Mundo (at both), Workcycles at the former or Dutch ID at the latter.

infradig
    Free Member

thanks for the tips. I have to say I prefer the idea of a complete bike rather than the xtracycle add-on, but everything I read about the xtracycle is overwhelmingly positive. As I understand it the Big Dummy is basically an xtracycle fully welded into a Surly frame. Cost is probably going to win out (as it often does) in determining my choice. I’ve seen some good offers on 2010 Utes.

My gut tells me a trailer is probably to much hassle to setup to use regularly.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Yes, cost is definitely the buggeration factor. Cheapest big dummy frames in europe work out about £750 and you still need a longtail kit for the freeloaders and racks, which is another £225, so that’s pretty much a grand spent without wheels and all the other essentials.

Freeradicalise (xtracycle) a bike for £399 + donor bike is the cheapest option by far, although I’ve seen some very good prices on the Ute, which would make it a quite attractive.

If you are reasonably flush, bikefix (london) had a pre-built (18″) big dummy with alfine chainset available reasonably recently. It might still be about. That worked out about £1600 with the longtail kit, which is dangerously close to cost price territory to my eye.

If you’re passing cumbria at all, you’d be welcome to have a tootle on my xtracycle.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I can’t comment on child carrying but I currently have a Ute and would favour it every time over a cargo trailer (I have a bob-style Edinburgh Bike Coop trailer).

Prior to the Ute I used to do shopping runs with the trailer – weeks worth of stuff at a time. Its shape means fragile stuff tends to die as it gets stuffed in corners etc and actually you are pretty limited at soon as you start to buy big packs of anything. Taking it on and off is, as mentioned, a pain!

On the other hand I have rarely encountered a load that the Ute cannot shift. I agree with the comments above regarding the panniers being a bit silly but it simple required a little bit more ingenuity. The ute gets ridden to work pretty regularly and does the weekly sainsbogs shop (two large reusable bags usually plus very big stuff, juice, bog roll, strapped onto the deck)

I do alot of other load carrying as well as I don’t have a car. Loads that I have recently carried include:

– 6 foot xmas tree (this got some funny looks from the man I bought it from: “would you like me to help you load this onto your car sir…?”
    – full size lawyer (he’s a big ‘un)
    – microwave, hoover and BIG suitcase (all in one go)
    – another big suitcase
    – all my gear required to support BigDummy at Hit the North (this included two full size folding dining chairs)
    – pretty girl back from pub
    – commuting bike with irreparable puncture (at least twice)

It rides really well laden and I’ve done some reasonable distances on it. It’s not done much off-road except a couple of laps of the Boggart Hole Clough CX course.

If you’re anywhere near Manchester you’re more than welcome to have a gander and a test ride. Mine came from Eddie McGrath cycles in Urmston.

This is the Ute at Hit the North (It didn’t bring the Gazebo but the chairs are in evidence)

toys19
    Free Member

I’m gonna get a ute, this could be my do everything bike, shopping, dh, taking kids to school, riding to and fro work, xc, fixing leaks in the student houses, am, going to the tip..

toys19
    Free Member

Handsome dog, what year is yours and did it come with panniers both sides as it seems a bit confusing..

kcr
    Free Member

SSB_UK
    Free Member

I could happily own a whole garage full of different cargo-bikes – you start off by thinking that there aren’t many choices, but quickly realise that there are alot of colours in the cargo-bike spectrum …

KCR – nice Bakfiets, I bet the little one loves it.

Here’s my current xtracycle:

I’ve since swapped the handlebars, saddle and dropped the seatpost to a less vertigo inducing height. The frame’s just big enough for me – I’m over 6 foot. The Big Dummy’s a 20″ which should be more sensible.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Toys,

Mine is a 2009 bought on C2W. It didn’t (probably still doesn’t) come with two panniers which I didn’t find out in time to put the other one on the C2W bill!

I forked out the 75 quid or so for the other one as it isn’t all that much use without it.

ourmaninthenorth

I think I may well convert my SS MTB to an Xtracycle, though I admit that having seem Handsomedog’s Ute several times in the flesh with all sorts of useful stuff attached to it, I can certainly recommend one. His brother has a Big Dummy, though I’ve only ever seen that pictorally.

SSB_UK – let me know when you’re selling your Xtracycle. Might be perfect timing for me to buy one… (I wonder if I can make an Isofix attachment for the nipper’s car seat…)

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Its available now(ish) – I’ll get my bits and bobs removed by domestic management if there are two conspicuously long bicycles in the garage when the Big Dummy lands!

Isofix is just a couple of metal hoops at a specific distance apart – although you’d want to make sure it was 110% secure (precious cargo an all).

ourmaninthenorth

SSB-UK – drop me a line (email in addy) to let me know more. Cheers, Tom.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I think I may well convert my SS MTB to an Xtracycle, though I admit that having seem Handsomedog’s Ute several times in the flesh with all sorts of useful stuff attached to it, I can certainly recommend one. His brother has a Big Dummy, though I’ve only ever seen that pictorally.

Big Dummy’s Big Dummy can be viewed on his Flickr page at this location. A much more versatile bike but IMHO at far too high a price.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve used a trailer for kid+shopping. It’s pretty good really, although you can’t stack that much in it and get the kid in it at the same time. Last time out was lil Grips, two large bags of shopping and a strimmer.

The advantage is of course that you can use your existing bike(s) to tow, and do stuff like ride somewhere, convert the trailer into a pushchair and wander about shopping or whatever, then ride home.

Steps are a bit of a pain tho since you need to find a way of dragging the thing up them. Sometimes you have to unhitch.

It is versatile tho. We are planning a ride with my sister’s family, where there 4yo and 10mo will go in the trailer and lil Grips 18mo will go on their normal bike rear seat.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

The logical step forward is clearly to buy a cargo bike and a trailer…. 😀

toys19
    Free Member

So anyone know where to get the big kona ute bags who has stock?

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Give Zaynan at Practical Cycles a call http://www.practicalcycles.com/ – he should be able to get them in.

toys19
    Free Member

SSB_UK – Member

Give Zaynan at Practical Cycles a call http://www.practicalcycles.com/ – he should be able to get them in.

Yeah done that, he wasn’t..

rootes1

get a trailer that you can also go round the shops with self scanning…

then pay wheel outside and hook up and ride off…

some waitrose stores let you borrow a trailer like this based on the Bikehod trailer..

http://www.bikehod.com/bike-hod/shopping.html

http://www.bikehod.com/bike-hod/index.html

as for cargo bikes, rode an 8Freight once – rides well but a bike bike to store….

molgrips
    Free Member

Kids won’t go in that Waitrose trailer tho 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Handsomedog – Member

The logical step forward is clearly to buy a cargo bike and a trailer….

I’ll be honest I was/am thinking this myself..

downshep

Bought a Ute through cycle to work and have just modified the rear deck to carry our two girls (4 & 7) on the school run. The wee one sits on a GMG classic while the older one sits on a padded mat with stoker bar and BMX stunt pegs. They love it but the high deck does make starting / stopping quite tricky. Best to use a wall / fence for stability when climbing on or off. Fine once moving tho’.

Great fun and will pay for itself in a year. Less hassle than a trailer as I can commute at near normal speed and tackle paths, kerbs, bollards without a second thought.

Glasgow area, if you want a look.

PS unused (still in packet) Kona Ute Large pannier for sale, can’t fit it with all the kiddie gubbins bolted on.

toys19
    Free Member

Downshep I’ll have that off ya right away. will pay now toys19@hotmail.com

euanr
    Free Member

I think that the new 2011 Ute looks great. Quite tempted when it comes to new commute bike time.

Now comes with 2 panniers now and they’ve raised the sides a bit and stiffened the bottom panels. The front brake now also has a bigger disc.

2011 Ute

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Rear mudguard too, a definite improvement by the look of it.

Shame the bags aren’t orange anymore, they look rubbish in brown

Edit: rear disc too y the look of it:

toys19
    Free Member

2010 also has rear disc and mudguards.

toys19
    Free Member

does anyone know downsheps contact details? I want that bag baby..

orena45

Here’s my 2010 Ute…

More close up pics HERE

😀

midlifecrashes

This hard bodied trailer was great for us for kids and shopping.

Sold as Phillips Cleveland, but have seen them with other branding.

leffeboy

Used a trailer for kids + shopping as well. You can only get a couple of bags if the kids are in but loads if they aren’t. Possibly more even than on the xtra but i guess it depends on the panniers.

Pieface

£750 for the Bigdummy frame?

You could buy a proper ute for that much

lardman
    Free Member

hey.. you should definitely check out the Yuba Mundo…. I’m going to be getting one of them pretty soon. They look just right for my two kids, and shopping etc, and can take alot of weight.

£450 for the frame is pretty good price too!

I’ll post up some pics and views when i have it.

Pieface

On a serious note, how well do the kickstands work? They’re always a contentious issue in the touring world.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

£750 for the Bigdummy frame?

You could buy a proper ute for that much

No denying it. Vive la difference, eh? 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone used a bakfiets? Very popular in the netherlands now

http://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart7.htm

downshep

@ Toys 19

YGM.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I find the Kickstand on the 09 Ute to be pretty poor, basically the main weakness of the bike. You get used to ensuring that the bags are properly loaded and that you always check it isn’t going to fall over when you park it though so not a huge issue.

I tend to load and unload it from the back as well so I can support the bike with my legs. I’ve not dropped it in a long time.

toys19
    Free Member

@Downshep. Have replied. Do you have any pics of your ute with kids on board?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘SemiOT: Tell me about cargo bikes vs trailers for kid + grocery duties’ is closed to new replies.