Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Seriously considering heading down under – Mount Isa
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

So the the geotechnical industry is on its ass and my company is seriously struggling. I took a 20% pay cut and its still not looking good.

A couple of friends have just got jobs in Mount Isa, Oz with no experience they will be on double what I earn here. With my 6 years experience and a lot of it very relevant to what they are going to do I should be able to get a job as well. The contracts are for the region of 12-24months.

One of the only things that has ever stopped me going is they upping sticks and heading half way round the world on my own, however It looks like I might be able to head out with a couple of friends and share a house etc.

The only other issue I have with OZ is the poisonous critters and my luck or lack there of. Everyone I speak to says ‘If anyone will get bitten its going to be you’ which doesn’t inspire confidence.

Anyone worked in that part of Oz or got any comments on moving out to oz etc.

psychle
    Free Member

Mt Isa is a bit of hole mate… would you be ‘fly-in/fly-out’ or based there permanently?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not been that far North – worked in Brisbane for a while and all things considered I quite liked it 🙂

Bitey things aren’t really such a problem; I’d be more concerned about the intense heat in Summer and the prospect of being stranded in the annual flooding in the Winter in that part of QLD.

Do it. If you don’t like it, come back.

psychle
    Free Member

prospect of being stranded in the annual flooding in the Winter

Other way round up there mate, flooding occurs in the Summer in the North (tropical wet season), winter is when it’s rather nice, sunny, warm, blue skies and no rain 😀

Mt Isa is a country town built on mining, you’ll see plenty of ‘real life’ ‘salt of the earth’ type aussies there, very different to Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne. Think country and western music, rodeos, thick country Queensland accents, that sort of stuff…

Garry_Lager

Depends how old you are – if you’re younger and want to get stuck in to some hard work, build your career etc then it sounds great – worth making some sacrafices for.
    If you’ve already got the experience, skills etc in that field – it’s just a job, basically, then it’s hard to see the appeal. The money would need to be off the charts to merit re-locating to an Australian backwater IMHO.

psychle
    Free Member

If you’re looking to make money, and see some great parts of Oz, then check on the North of Western Australia (Kimberley/Pilbara type area), beautiful place! Still country and remote, but the scenery (and the fishing!!) makes up for it 😀

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I imagine i’d be based there perm – the jobs would be exploration geology so lots of field work in the sun.

Done fieldwork in 30-40C heat in Portugal sure I could adapt to oz sun.

Wage is 50% more than I could earn here at best for my industry exp level.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wheres my passport??

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Im 29, 30 in 4 months. I don’t own a house, I have no savings, no disposable income and im single.

The geotech industy in the uk is struggling – after 20% pay cut i earn less than 19k a year.

£40k a year min with no experience so would be looking at £50-60k with my experience level compared to at best here £25k.

At the very least 12-24months would clear my debts.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

EDITED due to re-reading that and realising that it was a bit wrong….

psychle
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t understand question right, living in perth fly in / fly out 9 on / 6 off.

For Mt Isa??

flyingmonkeycorps

Can I have a job there please? I don’t know anything about geothingy but I watched Crocodile Dundee once and I like Vegemite.

wrightyson
    Free Member

9 on 6 off and living in the city during the 6. Get that flight booked, my best mate went out when he was 22, now 36 has oz and nz passports, own business and house. Looking at living in Sydney For their summer now and back up to cairns for the winter, where he reckons the climate is perfect at that time of year! I’d up sticks tomorrow if it wasn’t for upsetting the kids grandparents!!

hels
    Free Member

“poisonous critters” no don’t worry Mel Gibson lives in LA now.

Go for it I reckon – treat it as a savings scheme, try and pile some money up and get a house when you get back. You should take the chance and do this kind of thing while you can – before family and mortgage etc prevents you.

MrTall
    Free Member

I passed through there whilst backpacking many moons ago and it’s really a rather bleak place but if it’s only for the shorter term then why not go for it? You seem to have no ties here and at the very least it’ll be an interesting experience and it’ll help you financially.

It might lead to better prospects either back here or staying out there.

RobHilton
    Free Member

prospect of being stranded in the annual flooding in the Winter

Other way round up there mate, flooding occurs in the Summer in the North (tropical wet season), winter is when it’s rather nice, sunny, warm, blue skies and no rain

Oops! Quite correct.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member

Im 29, 30 in 4 months. I don’t own a house, I have no savings, no disposable income and im single.

…………………………..
    At the very least 12-24months would clear my debts.

In that case I would go. You have nothing to loose and a lot to gain. Even a hick town in Aus will be very different to what you have here and you will have the opportunity to travel around Aus and even to south east asia in your time off.

As regards the critters – I lived rough in aus sleeping in the bush and in parks for nearly a year – and never even saw a poisonous critter

Go

Limy
    Free Member

I have already said you should go while you have no ties here and are young enough to do it.

Gor for 12 months and scope out the riding then we will come over next year with bikes for a hol instead of going to Canada.

DO IT.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve been to the Isa and there’s a reason why it’s well paid. (There are stories of truck drivers making $50-100k though that could be apocryphal). But I’d go for it and approach it like an adventure – you will get time off and that part of the world is an incredible place to explore, especially with a few dollars in your pocket. Tho, again, I’d prefer the Kimberley and Pilbara.

Don’t worry about poisonous critters – they’ll be warier of you than you them (I say that as someone who’s nearly stepped on a tiger snake). If you’re in doubt, just grit your teeth and think of the current exchange rate.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Im currently feeling very stuck in a rut. I think maybe a change is in order and I think if I don’t do it sooner rather than later then I never will.

CV is being tailored and I have spoken to a couple of people regarding references.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Best of luck!! Go for it!

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do anything for a short term contract 🙂 It’s not like emigrating.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Seriously considering heading down under – Mount Isa’ is closed to new replies.