Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Seriously P'eed off with my new Stan's 355 rims
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

thanks Eldrik

[not to self must re-install firefox spell check dictionary]

njee20
    Free Member

I would wholeheartedly recommend Schwalbe as being the most compatible, I've never had any problems getting any of their tyres to install.

Not had the problems some folk have with ripping tyres either!

dreednya

I had the same problem with a Flow and 2.2 Rubber Queen that I ran initially with tubes not realising my mistake. Two pinch flats during the Brecon Beast and taking over 25 minutes to get the tyres off soon had me converting the tyres to tubeless. No problems since 🙂

willsimmons
    Free Member

Typical STW response to plea for help on this thread. The OP 'must' be doing it wrong because I/my mate/etc has done this blah blah.

FWIW I have had trouble in the past with Bonty tyres on tubeless rims, Stans and Mavics. I had to get the Pedros screwdriver handled tyre lever out to get them on and off which I don't like doing. There seems to be a bit of variation in the sizing/bead diameter of Bonty tyres though because I've had other sets that have gone on by hand with ease. I've also had Continental UST tyres that are bloody tight too. These are the only ones that I have had trouble with and believe the OP when he says he's having real trouble and doubt that it is just down to technique after having similar problems. Oh and I've worked in bike shops for 10 years, can I have a medal?? 🙂

I would recommend getting a Pedros DH tyre lever so that in the event of a puncture you can take them on and off.

willsimmons
    Free Member

I would wholeheartedly recommend Schwalbe as being the most compatible, I've never had any problems getting any of their tyres to install.

Not had the problems some folk have with ripping tyres either!

I have… Schwalbe tyres are overpriced, overrated and wafer thin! They are easy to remove and mount though which is useful because if you get some you'll be doing that often, even with the 'proper' UST ones….

If you're going to buy UST tyres then stick with Maxxis, they are durable and there are enough tread compounds out there to choose one to suit where you ride. The only issue I ever had was with the inner delaminating after quite a few months of heavy use, they warrantied it though so I got a brand new tyre when I needed to buy a new one anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

Careful you don't fall off that high horse Will 🙂

My experiences are my own, perhaps I'm better at fitting tyres than you, perhaps I've not come across any of these tight Bonty tyres! I must say I've struggled with a set on some Race X Lite rims with Bonty's own rim strip, but never on Stan's rims of any flavour.

I've used the full range of Schwalbe tyres for about 3 years without a single notable flat, a couple when I've gone back to the bike and it's been flat. That's good enough for me! They're also not expensive when bought from Germany.

Conversely I know of at least one person off the top of my head who's destroyed a whole raft of Maxxis tyres when running them tubeless. Guess it depends how/where you ride!

willsimmons
    Free Member

I was giving my best STW style response with no consideration that my opinion/experiences could not be true of every situation 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Can't argue with that, it was a true STW response!

willsimmons
    Free Member

I gave up running non-ust tyres tubeless when I was riding along a fireroad and my Racing Ralph tore itself in two almost. I got mine from Germany also but they're all 'expensive' when you damage it beyond repair without much use out of it. Since then they're gone up in price, even the cheap sources as far as I am aware.

The Maxxis tyres I've had have been LUST, not tried them in non-ust variety.

Quite confident that my tyre fitting skills are up to the job but I've still had problems with a couple of Bonty ones. Problems that I've not had with other Bonty tyres. My point was that I reckon it is perfectly possible that the OP has a tight set rather than writing him off as some tyre fitting numpty. I should find another forum though really as that sort of balanced opinion is a bit unusual here!!

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! Well I thought, in this situation, my more 'Communist' approach was better than a liberal suggestion that he may indeed have stumbled upon some tight tyres.

You being oop north tends to mean rockier terrain I guess, not much of that down here! I probably wouldn't use them so much if I lived somewhere like that, although I've still never had any problems at Afan/CyB etc, must be my mince-tastic style!

willsimmons
    Free Member

Well I had never ripped or damaged a tyre until I left the South. Things just kept breaking after then, not just tyres either. There is a long list, of mainly weight weenie parts that broke including 4 Spark shocks, a bent set of Cobalt cranks (at Laggan noless), a Tune hub/freehub, Pace RC39 forks and lots more. So I've left all that weight weenie stuff behind, tyres included.

njee20
    Free Member

Gravity's stronger further north, so you land harder. Fact.*

*may not be true.

singlespeedstu

Fit one of these.

With one of these in it.

Then come back and tell me it's hard to change a pushbike tyre. 🙄 😉

thekingofsweden

Stu your on fire 🙂

Sounds like making a very simple job difficult then blaming the equipment to me

Simple Stans 355's
    3M mylar tape off ebay £5 for about 30 metres
    Stans valve either type will do
    Tyre on
    Sealant in
    Pump up
    Shake rattle and roll
    Leave on sides for a bit
    Shake rattle and roll
    Turn over
    Then go for a ride

Bingo

Thats the SSS way to perfect tubeless every time

br
    Free Member

I use to have these in my m/c tyres…, was it a job

Security bolt

singlespeedstu

b r – Member

I use to have these in my m/c tyres…, was it a job

Security bolt

No need to use them in the front and only need one rear one when using a mousse. 😉

megastream
    Free Member

Managed to get the tyre off, put it on the radiator to warm up, fixed the pinch flat, tyre went on a little easier this time round being warm.

I'm going to get the bits to go tubeless tomorrow, no way on earth could a tube be fixed out on a ride as it is.

fackit
    Free Member

I had exactly the same problem with Flow Rims on Pro3s – My advise is to send them back.

I sent them back after spending an entire morning trying to get them on without success.

Sent them back for EX500s which I were easier to mount a tyre on.

To those ignorant **** saying "why use tubes with tubeless rims", why post such a stupid bloody question FFS..But here's the answer anyway.

STANS ARE TUBLESS 'READY', NOT TUBELESS 'ONLY'.

thekingofsweden

Touched a nerve there oops !

Funny that I am sure the trading name is quite heavily based around the theme 'NO TUBES'
    not only in case of emergency' remove tubes' sorry to be so ignorant !

ononeorange

Got my new wheel yesterday with Stan's Flows, tried last night to put on a Bonty ACX as a test. Half an hour of swearing and grunting and a broken tyre lever later, but I did it! Boy was it tough. It's true that you have to get the bead down the middle channel, but it won't stay there easily. Took an age to then remove, I agree with the OP that it would be a farce to do at the trail side.

Going to set it up tubeless tonight. One question – if I try and fit tyre with Stan's fluid in it, it's going to go everywhere during the tyre-fitting wrestling match. Can I just pour it in through the valve instead, or will the world end? Or is that what the removable core is for? Stan's videos always show him putting the fluid in (ooo-err missus) into the tyre.

thekingofsweden

Indeed you can use the removeable core
    You will get more air in for popping the tyre up on to the bead also
    And only pour the fluid in just before you fit the final part of the tyre then turn 180 degress to keep the fluid in the beaded section of the tyre not all over the wheel tyre and yourself (Like i did the first time)
    😀

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Built up a Flow rimmed wheel last night and popped a Kenda Blue Groove onto it by hand. Wasn't really any more difficult than any other rims I've had to be honest. Perhaps a little bit tight but nothing major. One thing I did notice though is that it was more difficult to get the tyre seated nicely (admittedly, with a tube) all the way round. There were bits of the sidewall that were sitting too far down in the rim which I usually solve on other rims by inflating to about 15-20psi then grabbing and pulling the tyre by hand. Pumping them up really heard to see if they would pop into place didn't seem to work either.

Will order some valves, tape and sealant next week but wanted to get them up and running with tubes ready for riding this weekend. I predict the beads will pop into place easier with no tubes.

njee20
    Free Member

I sent them back after spending an entire morning trying to get them on without success.

Sent them back for EX500s which I were easier to mount a tyre on.

You're joking?

You swapped for some other, significantly heavier rims, just because you couldn't fit tyres?

Of course you can run tubes, but it defeats half the point of using Stan's NoTubes rims!

29erKeith
    Free Member

KingOfSweden Good tip on the Mylar Tape, Cheers
    I nearly order some Stans yesterday
    Just ordered 5 rolls off of ebay for £7.50 inc P&P 😯

Stans tape seems like a 'charge it because we can' sort of deal 🙄
    same as the bloody over priced Valves £6.50 for a Valve I can get a whole tube for next to bugger all more than that

aracer
    Free Member

same as the bloody over priced Valves £6.50 for a Valve I can get a whole tube for next to bugger all more than that

How many tubes do you think get made? How many tubeless valves?

JamesP
    Free Member

[thread hijack] sorry

Aracer. Do you still want to sell that Speedneedle saddle?

cynic-al
    Free Member

How many tubes do you think get made? How many tubeless valves?

It's not as simple as that. There's no proper competition.

Mavic et al are no doubt fuming at the fact I use valves from old inner tubes 😡

aracer
    Free Member

It's not as simple as that.

It is just as simple as that. Do you not realise how much more expensive it is running a supply chain for smaller volumes? Do you think there's no competition because nobody's interested in making the huge profits you appear to think there are in tubeless valves?

@ JamesP – yes, had forgotten I'd mentioned I'd got one. Should point out it's not in brand new condition – there's a bit of a wall scuff. Will e-mail piccies when I can get at my personal e-mail.

JamesP
    Free Member

Aracer – no worries, as and when you get a chance 🙂 Email address is in profile.

thekingofsweden

No worries 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

willsimmons – Member
    Typical STW response to plea for help on this thread. The OP 'must' be doing it wrong because I/my mate/etc has done this blah blah.

So you think you know best 'cos you've worked in a shop for 10 years? I bet you've still got poor tyre fitting technique – not that it matters when you're sat on your arse eating pies and moaning at the computer screen. Learn to fit tyres and MTFU southerner. Now that'd be a typical STW response 😆

gamo
    Free Member

What width is this mylar tape? all looks too wide.
    Seller ID?

fackit
    Free Member

njee20 –

What so you're saying that 20gms a wheel is a significant weight increase…LOL

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've got 355 rims. Various tyres have been fitted with no problems until I tried a Nevegal UST. Brought back memories of my enduro days(rim lock included} lots of sweating and swearing…..and then it was too wide for the back of the 575.
    I use the yellow tape method. Works a treat.

ononeorange

Yes! Got the ACX on the second time with the Stan's sealant almost without effort. It seems to go on much easier the second time, unless my technique somehow miraculously improved.

Felt so chuffed I took my newly-rebuilt ss out for a long ride.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I had to install 3 of the tyre security bolts in the rear wheel of my old Honda CR 500 MX bike. I was glad to see the back of it! I know nothing about stan rims though. I just use Mavic rims and a tube!

coopersport1
    Free Member

Been running tubeless 2 years now, have both Pro 2 819 combo and Pro 3 355 combo, some tyres are tighter than others its that simple. Would never go back to tubes, have had one or 2 mares but mainly due to me trying to get a bit more life out of a previously damaged tyre.
    Oh and I run Conti Race kings non-tubeless ones, panaracer fire xc ust, maxxis crossmarks LUST, panaracer Trailraker UST on 819s with NO sealant and no problems ever, Panaracer Trail blasters (these were tight!). Have had one bad experience with tubed Schwalbe NN on a demo Giant Anthem X1, some people swear by them some about them. I may give them another chance as my Fire XC are in shreds.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Seriously P'eed off with my new Stan's 355 rims’ is closed to new replies.