Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano disk rotors – RT51 and RT61
  • woodrz
    Free Member

Any idea what the difference between RT61 and RT51 disk rotors is? Both 6 bolt, both 160mm. I am assuming they are interchangeable, but I know the danger of assumptions in the Shimano world…..

Mister-P
    Free Member

RT51 is for use with resin pads only. RT62 which is a more holed version of 61 can be used with sintered pads.

poppa
    Free Member

So what’s an RT75 then, out of interest?

Mister-P
    Free Member

RT75 is a 6 bolt XT rotor.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, I getcha, and the others are Deore.

Mister-P
    Free Member

SMRT61

SMRT75

woodrz
    Free Member

“RT51 is for use with resin pads only. RT62 which is a more holed version of 61 can be used with sintered pads”

Ah – yes I see “resin only” on the disk now.

This picture of an RT61 has exactly the same hole pattern though. From what I saw the RT62 is the centrelock version that does have different hole pattern. So what pads to LX calipers come with by default?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/otherwisehk/ShimanoSM-RT61.jpg

Mister-P
    Free Member

You are correct, 61 is 6 bolt and 62 is centre lock. I was thinking of 61 being the mored holed version of SMRT60. It is quite easy to get muddled with all these codes floating about.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How can the disk only use resin pads? Sounds like sh1te to me.

woodrz
    Free Member

Different quality of metal? Never a problem with Hope….

woodrz
    Free Member

Right them – a little more digging shoes that the Rt61 is “hardened” presumably to make it deal with more abrasive sintered pads. So perhsp the reverse logic applies and the RT61 is nromal, whilst the RT51 is made of left-over cheese from Shimano chainrings….

woodrz
    Free Member

Well I took delivery of some RT61s today – same layout as the 51, but a nicer looking quality of metal, and no “resin only” text.

Now to assemble my LX calipers, which come in several dozen pieces….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano disk rotors – RT51 and RT61’ is closed to new replies.