Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano M183N shoes – experiences?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new pair of shoes – My M086 fit well so having had lots of trouble with other brands’ cycling shoes and foot cramp in the past, I’m going to stick with Shimano. They’ll be used for mtb and cx

The M183N looks good – any experiences?

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?vertical=Cycling&tier1=Shoes+%26+Footwear&tier2=MTB+Shoes&catref=VARBM183N

clubber
    Free Member

no one?

4ags4
    Free Member

Had some briefly, earlier in the year.
    Fit was good for the front half of my foot – around the toebox and in length.
    I found I suffered with a fair bit of heel slop when walking – not much use to me when pushing uphill or trying to run/walk in mud!!
    If they fit you I reckon they are a good spring/autumn shoe.
    Pretty good vfm when compared to similar shoes of other brands

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Got last years model – look functionally identical to the pic. Had them for about six months and still seem to clean up as good as new after each ride, no noticiable wear or falling-apart-issues. Only things I can think of to comment on:

– typical Shimano, they are stout and ‘boot like’ compared to, say, Sidi disco slippers, but seem light enough
    – not tried them in true winter kack – they are quite airy, esp around the toe box
    – try before you buy. Went for my usual 43, but would prob have gone one size smaller as I am near the limit of the ratchet even using the ‘other’ bolt position for the ratchet mechanism which causes the tongue to bunch up a touch as it’s trying to close so much. To be fair though, this doesnt seem to have introduced any pressure points. Oh, and if you do the ratchet right up to the limit while wearing them, it is the devils work to try and get the damn thing to release…. you have been warned! 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks both.

BB is.your usual 43 in shimano shoes or another brand?

tony24
    Free Member

got them and they have been great had to go up a size to get the width in the toe box. they are alot less airy than full on summer shoes they have no vents but for that reason keep water out for longer and toes warmer in the winter.

4ags4
    Free Member

If it helps, i’m a 43 in a Specialized (usual shoes) but need a 44 Shimano (and Sidi for that)

whyter

I have the M182s, which are just an earlier version. They’ve lasted really well (vs Specialized and Nike shoes I’ve used before). Think mine are 3 years old now.

The lack of mesh on the front makes them good for all but the worst weather, and they’re still not too hot in the (Scottish!) summer.

clubber
    Free Member

I must admit I hadn’t realised that they were less meshy than others – I do wonder if they’ll end up being sweaty in the (Southern) summer – I already have proper winter shoes so I don’t really need them to be warm as such.

yoda
    Free Member

They’re not overly warm, the mesh front does a decent job of letting water in too.

The only problem I have with them is that the tongue tends to slide over from the middle and ends up down the outer side of the shoe.
    this seems to happen most if I run in them. I have to make sure the tongue is over towards the crank side when I put them on, though this could just be a sock/tongue interface issue.

Very grippy in just about every condition off the bike. They’re the best shoe I’ve used on the 3 peaks by a country mile.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I recently got some of these, only ridden them for half a dozen rides, but they’re spot on. Snug and supportive, and very stiff. Feel more like a road shoe which I like.

As has been said, the quality is exceptional, molded rubber in all the places where scuffing might be an issue and the carbon-effect infill panels look the business. Look like they’ll last forever!

I got 43s, tried 44s first but heal slop was an issue. the 43s are certainly a snugger fit on me that most, but I anticipate a bit of spread with wear.

I wear a 43 in Shimano road shoes and 42 in Spesh etc…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Clubber – yep usually a Shimano 43. Can’t say I’ve noticed them being particulary more/less ventilated than anything else I’ve used. The toe area appears quite reinforced compared to some others – the side effect of which is that there is less mesh around the toe than some.

clubber
    Free Member

OK, thanks all, sounds like they’re pretty much spot on.

tony24
    Free Member

They are a very nice shoe. Did a 12 hour recently in baking sun my feet did not get to hot.

sam_underhill

another +1 here. If you fit shimano shoes then order the normal shimano size you need. Stiff, comfortable, job done. non mesh panels are way better IMO, much less airy, never get too hot in them (not that we’ve had many hot days!).

pistola
    Free Member

They are sized a bit bigger than older Shimano shoes. I had a 5-yr old pair of 225s that were size 43 and the 183s feel about half a size bigger.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M183N shoes – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.