Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shimano Saint M810 brakes – what do you think?
  • LabMonkey
    Free Member

Has anybody got/used the new Saint brakes?

What size rotors do you use?

How much power do they have? Please compare them to other brakes you have uesd?

Any additional thoughts, comments, or opinions welcome!

(I am looking to put some on an Intense Tracer frame, Fox 36’s etc – for use at trail centres and quite possibly in the Alps etc. Weight is not a major issue but performance definatly is!)

Thanks in advance, Jon

LabMonkey
    Free Member

…bump

neilforrow

I have had a set since late 08, they are the nuts. Sold a set of mono m4’s to get them… while the m4’s are great brakes… these are in a different realm.

The power is spot on… loads of it (like the m4’s), but usable with lots of modulation.. not a wooden feel like Hayes. the input you need to put in is much is less than th m4’s, resulting in less arm pump and hand fatigue… took a bit of getting used to… no need to grab at them! true 1 finger breaking alll the time…

the bite / power adjuster is a bit of a waste of time… cant seem to make it work that well.

got a 203 / 180 setup.

worth the $$ would get again…

4130soul
    Free Member

i’ve got a pair and used them for the first time last weekend, im used to running hope’s and having to grab a handfull everytime i wanted to stop. but these babies are amazing! i swear at some points i was stopping the world from turning they are that powerful!
    Like neilfarrow says they take a bit of getting used to as you only need to feather them to get the desired results and after only two hours i had so much more confidence braking into corners

regardless of the price i’d recommend them to anyone

(i run 203mm f/r)

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for that Neil – that is the kind of response I was hoping for. Glad to hear that they are better than the Hopes they replaced too, these were another possibility.

Thanks again, Jon

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks 4130soul – thats two strong recommendations now!

iamtheresurrection

I’ll make it three.

I would have thought a 180/160 would give you ample power. The lever is completely adjustable for feel and the set up and running of them seems to be pretty faultless.

I know a lot of brakes are one finger-able, but not like these. My old Magura Louise FR were fine with one finger but it took a bit of power in the old digit: but it’s an absolute piece of with the new Saints.

Very easy to modulate too – by streets the best disc brakes I’ve used.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

And here’s a forth. Massive power, great modulation.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

OK, OK – I will be ordering some very soon! Cheers to everybody for your feedback! Jon

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I getting saints ould go for smaller rotors… 180mm max

I was looking at saints but will be getting XTs instead as there is too much power from saints, pretty snatchy (but very good brakes)… I have been reliably informed that saints are defo ‘DH only’ category and that XTs should see you fine for most UK and Alpine use + they are cheaper (seen a full set for £200 at merlin)

doof_doof
    Free Member

I used my Saint brake (rear only at this stage as CRC were out of stock) for the first time over the w/end – 3 days of riding at Brechfa in Wales.
    It took a couple of days to get used to the obscene amounts of power (180mm) compared to my old Hopes. This is *true* one finger breaking, with only the lightet touch required. The first couple of days had the rear end all over the place until I adjusted my technique.

Best upgrade to my bike in ages, can’t wait to get the matching front now.

Doug
    Free Member

What everyone above says and another big thumbs up. I’m 18st and have always struggled . These are in a league of their own. When you first fit them it takes a while to adapt the power and stop yourself grabbing the brakes.

At list price they are great value. £120 an end from CRC was just ridiculously cheap for so much brake, no wonder they ran out.

neilforrow

merlin have them in stock… ❗

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve now got a front Saint to match my rear. CRC are back in stock, though prices have predictably gone up (£128, no rotor or adaptors). Looking forard to using it an anger tonight, although it already feels massively powerful just riding down the street.

I tried mounting the front with a 183mm Hope floating rotors, but the lower caliper tab was *just* touching the rotor rivets. So I’ll need to file a little off the caliper to make them play well together. For now I’m using a standard 180mm Shimano rotor. 180mm floating rotor works fine on the rear for me.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

doof_doof, I’ve had sucess filing the caliper to give clearance with floating rotors on both saint m800 and the new SLX brakes so it can be done. They work very nicely indeed with the hope floaters

neil853
    Free Member

i’ve had a set for a little while now and seriously nothing comes close! they are so powerful and have decent amounts of modulation. a little word of warning though they do take a little while to get used to, you really have to be more careful when going near the lever as other wise you overbrake all the time! only a small rotor needed for the back too! 😀

huwston
    Free Member

just got a pair of m810 calipers using lx levers.

will let you guys know what theyre like soon as the snow disappears.

huwston
    Free Member

they look damn sexy though, i must admit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Saint M810 brakes – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.