Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Show me winter mountain pics you've taken that you like!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hi, thought I’d start another photo thread, this time leaning towards the snowy side of things. I’m not racist towards dry sunny mountain pics though, so if you have some of those thats fine too!

Just getting in the mood for skiing again and i was looking through all my pics. Here’s some I like.

Switzerland

Switzerland again

The Eiger is there in the background in this shot, hard to make it out though.

Pila.

crispo
    Free Member

Is that Zweiluitchinen train station? Ive got loads from the Lauterbrunnen valley, stunning scenerey!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks more like the station at Grindelwald to me.

Kit
    Free Member

Grasmere by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

G Mounts by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

GrahamS
    GrahamS

Also Whistler, 2009

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like this one – just a snapshot from somewhere in the Morzine ski field

And this one from my back yard

or this as the sun moved

And one with some quick filters – again from my house.

Tracey

GrahamS

Another from Whistler – not very mountainy, but lots of fun!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

DSC_0232 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Me and my boy, just up the road from my house last november 🙂

crispo
    Free Member

Graham – have you been to Whistler? 😆

m1kea
    Free Member

Here are some of mine from Panoramio

Mt Washington in New Hampshire

And the same hill without ****tty filtering

Shawnee Peak over the border in Maine

(Another typically busy day on the slopes….)

Goat’s Eye Mtn at Sunshine, near Banff

And this 360 at Waterville Valley is a stitching trainwreck as I thought I’d be cocky/stupid and take my pano gear with me on the chair and try a moving one :roll:.

GrahamS

Graham – have you been to Whistler?

How did you guess? 🙂
    I don’t have many other shots online.

Here’s one from Banff though:

anc
    Free Member

Kit that one of grasmere is excellent 😉 roll on winter.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Nice!

I think my train station shot is Grindelwald, have’nt heard of the other place anyway!.

m1kea
    Free Member

GrahamS

How does Whistler compare to Banff – Sunshine, Lake Louise, and if you’ve been there, Kicking Horse?

We’ve not been to Canada since 2007, mainly because it’s more expensive than doing the east coast of the USA.

crispo
    Free Member

Zweilutschinen is where the train splits from Interlaken to go to Lauterbrunnen of Grindelwald. It could be one of the stations between grindelwald and zweitlutschinen though.

Oh god I look like a train spotter…… 😳 (i’m not, I just know the area)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

@Crispo

Haha well it’s not the worst place to be waiting for a train anyway, nice place. I’ve only been there once when i was staying at Interlaken, skiing in Wengen.
    Had to drop off my hire ski’s somewhere up the mountain at the end of the week 🙂 .

GrahamS

GrahamS
    How does Whistler compare to Banff – Sunshine, Lake Louise, and if you’ve been there, Kicking Horse?

Not been to Kicking Horse, but we’ve done Whistler, Banff and Fernie.

Banff has good variety of riding and the scenery is great, especially at Lake Louise. The powder bowls over the back of Lake Louise were also a highlight.
    Plus it was stupidly quiet at times (I remember coming down slopes and not seeing anyone else at all for the entire descent).

Pic: Lake Louise – not very busy.

It is a proper little town and there is some nice gentle walking by the river for days off.
    But I have to say that sitting in the bus to get to/from the slopes every day was a bit of a drag, especially the longer ride to Lake Louise (~45 mins IIRC)

Whistler you can walk to the slopes from most hotels/chalets and it has a lot more going on by the slopeside: many a post-ride pitcher of beer was sunk in the Longhorn bar 😀 but it is definitely a much more commercial, purpose built resort – with the highs and lows that go with that.

On balance I think Banff had a little more variety, but we picked a fairly crap season to go to Whistler and we only got 1 day of “proper” Whistler powder.

Pic: Whistler pow day

So it is hard to judge. Both were awesome holidays!

m1kea
    Free Member

Graham

Sorry, I meant to say we’d been to Banff a few times so know the score re transport and the shopping. It was more after a comparison of the skiing at Whistler.

Kicking Horse used to be a Heli Skiing place and features a 10K ‘beginner’ run. We’ve not been for a few years and I see they have MTBing there now – http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

We know New Hampshire well and go there on the basis of knowing where the deals are (tis much cheaper than Canada).

GrahamS

Sorry, I meant to say we’d been to Banff a few times so know the score re transport and the shopping. It was more after a comparison of the skiing at Whistler.

Well as I say I think there is a little more variety at Banff, as you have the multiple resorts – but Whistler is pretty huge and you’ve got two mountains which are now joined by t peak-2-peak gondola, so you can go up one and down the other 😀

There’s probably a little more for kids at Whistler (family areas, tube slides etc) and I think it had more terrain parks than Banff.

From memory the slopes were a bit more open in Whistler and more of them seemed groomed (*spit*) but that could just be because they were getting a bit thin on snow when we were there.

If you like Banff then you might want to look at Fernie and I can’t recommend this chalet at Fernie highly enough – it is awesome.

Edit: oh yeah, we did hear that Kicking Horse was good, but it could be bitterly cold and the snow was sometime pretty bulletproof.

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

We had -28′ C at Lake Louise one year and New England is known for being cold and icy.

Would like to go back to Mammoth sometime; – I imagine it might be like Whistler. Have also skied at Winter Park in Colorado. The base area is 9000ft up and that takes some getting use to!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I like the blanket of cloud around the mountains in that Morzine shot!

The big mountain shot of Banff is really cool as well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

GrahamS

The big mountain shot of Banff is really cool as well.

Thanks. 😳 It’s one of my favourites.
    It was taken out the window of a moving bus on the way to the airport!

matt_outandabout

Teh Buchaille

Tarmachan wanderings

Walking up to work one morning:

View from my lounge:

Winter, 99% of the time in the hills:

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Old Gang mine workings, Swaledale,

From the Aguille du Midi,

& from the other side..

GaVgAs
    Free Member

e

The Boathouse Ullswater lake..

From PooleyBridge looking West

legend
    Free Member

Powder Mountain Cat Skiing 2008:

IMG_1294 by mark_penman, on Flickr

Whistler Mountain 2008

IMG_1257 by mark_penman, on Flickr

grum
    Free Member

Oooh me me me, can I play!!! 🙂

Some nice pics in here – I like the Grasmere and Whistler shots especially.

Wise Een Tarn, Claife Heights by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1060278 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr
    Windermere

P1060348 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr
    Langdale

Monte Rosa and the Gorner Glacier by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Dufourspitze by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Winter walkers near Rotenboden station by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Gornergrat Railway by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Matterhorn – Hornli ridge detail by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

m1kea
    Free Member

Bah

I want to go skiing now.

Damn you all 😆

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hey Grum, my photo above is also of Doufourspitze and Nordend like yours. My pic is taken from the summit of Signalkuppe. we caught the train up to Rotenboden station and walked to the Monte Rosa Hut (in your first pic but virtually impossible to spot), then up the Gornergrat glacier (big central glacier in your first alps pic), then up Doufourspitze and back down to the Monte Rosa Hut.

colournoise

slainte 🙂 rob

grum
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – awesome, would love to do something like that. I was just being a tourist up at the Gornergrat station. On my pic on flickr I’ve labelled what I think is the Monte Rosa hut.

Monte Rosa and the Gorner Glacier

I think it’s been rebuilt though, dont know if that was before or after you were there.

The Gornergrat station/hut: 🙂

Gornegrat by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

IMG_0166 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes that’s it.
    That trip was 15 years ago, but I’ve been up there again since (approached from the Italian side tho). Unless the Monte Rosa hut has suffered a disaster I can’t imagine it’s been rebuilt since I was there, it was a high standard hut 15 years ago. Possibly they’ve extended it, Doufourspitze is the 2nd highest peak and a bit more technical than the standard route up Monte Blanc, so it’s popular.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Oh, double post.

This is the summit of Signalkuppe on the same trip, me on the left, but a boy (1995). This is taken outside the Margarita Hut at 5am, it’s the highest building in Europe at 4500m.

martinxyz
    Free Member

M1kea wrote: “..And the same hill without ****tty filtering”

I was thinking along those lines before i spotted the comment.haha! Still a nice pic but i`m glad you know how you feel about making things look bad by overshopping when its beautiful as it is!

Grum, when i scrolled to the bottom of the thread and came across the reflection pic,i grinned and said to myself “that guys unreal” :O)

martinxyz
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Oooh me me me, can I play!!!

Oh o.k. then!

2hottie
    Free Member

Some nice pics on here,

A few from the lakes last year,

Some with a keen eye will spot the DH for Garburn.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

oh, little Brian, been talking to stumpyjon tonight BTW 2hottie, I’m back to Gisburn this Autumn, I haven’t been volunteering there for ages. What about you (and Brian)?.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Show me winter mountain pics you've taken that you like!’ is closed to new replies.