Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sligachan route – out and back or loop ??
  • orangina
    Free Member

Hi,
    wonder if I can get some advice on the above.
    As good wedding dodgers we’ll be on Skye next w/e for some quality mtb-ing. One of the routes we’re planning to do is the Sligachan. I have heard people doing it as an out an back rather than the loop, to avoid the tarmac bit at the end?
    What’s the experience doing it as an out and back and where do you turn round?
    Thanks in advance.

Waderider
    Free Member

For me the out and back would be to Sligachan to Camasunary. But I’d do the loop myself.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

out and back

the bit through long myre on the loop is miserable

it’s one of the best bits of singletrack in the uk, no harm in doing it twice

orangina
    Free Member

Waderider, thanks, what makes you prefer the loop over the out and back ?

orangina
    Free Member

Michael,
    thanks! Your comments sound convincing. Must have a look at the map tonight.

balfa
    Free Member
    mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

there’s (was?) a good cafe under the ‘3’ on the route from the bible, that was the only thing that made wading our way through the bog worthwhile

orangina
    Free Member

Thanks, Balfa, we do have the map of the loop, but was just wondering why some people do the out-and-back. Michael, you suggest to do 1 to 7 and back, looking at that map ? That way we’d remove all road riding, some land rover track. If the only section of singletrack we’d miss is likely to be really boggy I think I am beginning to make my mind up :-)!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

1 to 7 to 1

or 1 to 5 to 1

with plenty of time for sitting on the beach soaking it all in, Camasunary is lovely

duir
    Free Member

Did the out and back last year in red hot weather. Did the loop (anti-clockwise) the year before in torrential rain and wind. The out and back was awesome as a short day ride and the best parts of the loop but didn’t have the epic achievment feel of the full loop.

clowner
    Free Member

We’re also up Skye soon and looking at doing the out and back.

Also looking at doing the Idrigill Point loop. Does anyone have any experience of it?

defaultslipper
    Free Member

We did the full loop including but instead of going 3 to 4 in balfa’s link we went for the bridleway further east (the other red line on balfa’s link on the far right) as we had heard it was boggy 3 to 4. It was a long push up maybe an hours worth. The descent down the other side was pretty good. Great cafe at the bottom which is the one mentioned above by mrmichael- the blue river maybe?

Here is a thread from a while ago I keep linking to:
    sligachan loop

The out and back for the good bits, the full loop for the epic bit! Pick a good day for added pleasure

duir
    Free Member

Also did the Idrigill Loop last year and the first part to Idrigill was breathtaking and very rideable flowing singletrack. The remainder is to say the least very tough with almost no discernable path for most of the way, very boggy and has a very suprisingly large amount of descent. However it makes you feel really remote and adventurous and the scenery just blows you away and the feeling when you exit the cliffs after hours of riding/carrying/pushing at a ruined croft is a real experience. Riding at times just a metre or so from a sheer 500ft drop clipped in is special as was following Max at warp speed down steep heather descents with absolutely no path to follow. So to sum up we really thought it was epic but some may find the full loop to be a hideous nightmare!!!

clowner
    Free Member

Duir, it take it that was clockwise?

Where did you start?

orangina
    Free Member

defaultslipper, thanks for that link, I did a search on ‘Sligachan’ before I posted but it didn’t find yours due to the spelling mistake in your header 🙂 will have a look though it.
    duir, how long did the out and back take you then ? We also plan the Idrigill route and last the Quiraing … then over to Harris for some more, hope it’ll be good ….

clowner
    Free Member

orangina – same plan as us minus the hop over to harris only got three days

rickmeister

Clowner, might bump into you ! We do the first ride on Thursday, the last on Saturday, then over to Harris on the same day. Have fun! Weather will be fab i’m sure ;-))

clowner
    Free Member

We’re Saturday to Monday.

What direction are you intending to do the Idrigill loop?

I can’t seem to find much info on what way round is best

orangina
    Free Member

Clowner, does this maybe help:

Route description

dougiemelvin
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    Just resurrecting this thread to see if anyone can offer advice on a wee section of the Sligachan ride.
    It’s the coastal route from Camasunary down to Elgol – does anyone know if it’s rideable or not? I’ve not seen any routes taking this part in, so have my reservations…
    Cheers,
    Dougie

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sligachan route – out and back or loop ??’ is closed to new replies.