• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So how sweary can you be on STW??
  • stumpy01

I ask because I was banned on here a few weeks ago for a couple of days because of The Apprentice thread that cropped up during the first episode of the new series.
    I used a swear word with purposeful self-editing by adding a dollar/pound sign in place of a u and a c in a word that starts with f and ends in t and is quite erm, ‘wit’ty……..I had seen similar things done before on this forum and thought it was acceptable (although having the terms sent to me made it clear that it probably isn’t OK). Having drunk 3 bottles of premium ale probably didn’t help….!
    In the same thread there are probably 10 other occasions of swearing, either self censored/letter rearranged or otherwise. Did anyone else get banned??

Since then, I have noticed that there is swearing everywhere….c words, f words, s words…..even in subject titles. One of the reasons I was given for being banned is that people have complained about the fact that this is a site for users of all ages and as such the language should be suitable for them.

Are all these people banned for swearing?? What’s the deal? Was I banned because someone reported my specific thread??
    I’m trying to be careful in my threads now and not putting anything in that might be deemed offensive, but it seems that it is going on all over the place anyway.

jedi

you were banned for personal reasons

jedi

heh heh heh

stumpy01

I did wonder….. 😛

Bimbler
    Free Member

I was banned for linking to a video full of swearing (every single swear word in every single episode of the Sopranos ). At the same time another video was linked featuring “Sony’s new piece of s**t” (from the Onion) also full of swearing which wasn’t banned. Go figure

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

anything I say is offensive…

you f*?£$%t

stumpy01

SFB…that’s the word…..admittedly I only censored the u and the c……but I can still understand your intent. BAN…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it says “flutist” :o)
    Which is carefully crafted to be offensive but not bannable…

donald
    Free Member

Forum Rules

If you notice that a post has been moderated and after reading this page you are still unclear as to why, then please email us directly and we will try to explain our decision. DO NOT post your request for a reason on the forum as we have found that this just provokes needless argument.

So you are due another banning 🙂

oomidamon

Bimbler – I saw that vid and thought it showed just how rubbish the yanks are at swearing, they only use the F and S words. I’m proud to be British and use colourful words begining with C, B, W, P, etc….

bullheart
    Free Member

Now thats some sh%$thouse luck!!!

AndyP
    Free Member

Go figure
    now THAT should be an instant ban

anagallis_arvensis

I swear on here and havent been banned but then I know the swear filter does its job so is it worse to **** swear or to F**King swear? Or are both banned?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just provokes needless argument.

how can argument be needless ?? It’s like oxygen to me.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Someone who doesnt like you reported your post to the mods, or the mods don’t like you and are just being deliberately inflexible.

I’ve been banned on numerous occasions for doing things others do all the time.

theotherjonv

how can argument be needless ?? It’s like oxygen to me

No it isn’t.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No it isn’t.

me: that’s not an argument, that’s just contradiction!
    theotherjonv: yes it is!
    etc

Mark

I’ll respond once and no more.

We don;t moderate every rule infringement because we don’t see every rule infringement. That’s why we have a ‘report post’ link at the end of every post. We rely on that for the majority of rule infringements. We always look into them when they come through. What we don;t do is patrol the forum looking for trouble. This means any argument along the lines of ‘he did it but you let him get away with it’ is not really a valid argument as we have NOT let ‘him’ get away with it, it simply hasn’t been reported.

As for swearing. Avoiding the swear filter by replacing or reversing a few letters is not enough to stop it from being recognised by people who find it offensive and distateful and so if those posts get reported we act on them. The rule is simple. keep it clean. If you don’t and you are caught we will deal with it. You can’t swear on this forum any more than you could expect to stand on a soapbox in the street and expect to get away with it. Both are public forums. Both require an element of self control.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So how sweary can you be on STW??’ is closed to new replies.