Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • So I bumped in to Daisy Duke on the SDW today
  • m1kea
    Free Member

He was having a go at the double but having some major trouble with the puncture fairies :(.

I caught him going up towards Truleigh YHA, not knowing who he was until we introduced ourselves to each other.

Up to that point (60 miles) he’d had 7 punctures! 😯 and wasn’t in the most positive of mindsets. I did try and cheer him up with 3.5 miles of listening to a chorus of creaks from my suspension and binding rear brake 😆 but I think I might have undone any positive vibes when I’d said I’d taken 1:40 out of him, plus have never punctured on the SDW.

In theory he should be on his way back to Alfriston as I type and fingers crossed he’s still at it 8).

nuke

he’d had 7 punctures!

Blimey. That is soul destroying.

Easy to say should have run tubeless but hindsight is a terrible thing.

Good luck to him…fingers crossed he makes it

superfli
    Free Member

easy to puncture tubeless on the SDW as well. sharp flints can rip the tyres. I suppose its luck/tyre choice and maybe try less dragging of brakes? Anyway, I hope he completes.
    I’m hopefully doing the SDW complete for the 1st time in a couple of weeks (14th), assuming weather is ok.

m1kea
    Free Member

nuke – Member

Blimey. That is soul destroying.

Easy to say should have run tubeless but hindsight is a terrible thing.

Good luck to him…fingers crossed he makes it

He was on 29’ers so I couldn’t give him a spare or two. Very strange to have that much trouble and I gather Mrs DD had had to go shopping for more :(.

Twas another BHF 65 / 100 mile ride today and I’d passed quite a few peeps on the trail side with punctures.

Superfi

He bombed away from me on the two descents we did so I don’t think there was any brake dragging going on on his part!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Well I made it M1kea! 2 impact punctures, 1 piece of glass, 1 thorn, 1 faulty valve, and 2 unexplained tube failures. At flat number 7 I almost baulked. At Eastbourne, it took me a while to find the 100 mile marker (I never bothered to reccie the last 3mile, Doh!) and was over and hour and a half down. By 12:30am, two out of the three Lupine lights had failed and by 1:30am the last Lupine was on half power. Met wifey at mile 150 and what followed was a brief discussion and a difference of opinion about being sensible vs pig headed! Stomach cramps by 3am meant I couldn’t eat, but managed to top up water bottles at Queen Liz Park. Crawled into Winchester at 7:55am. Job done and done it!

m1kea
    Free Member

You do realise you do need to do it solo / alpine stylee to do it ‘properly’? 😉

Big props for completing it and it makes my bailout after 130 miles / 15 hours all the more galling for not having the guts to carry on.

Did/do have a gps tracker of any sort?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘So I bumped in to Daisy Duke on the SDW today’ is closed to new replies.