Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • So the beeb lose another sport!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Well partially anyway, bloody sky get half the f1!!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Actually it sounds like sky get all the f1 and the beeb half. Money talks as usual!!

votchy
    Free Member

absolutely rubbish even though the bbc director of sport is delighted that the bbc will retain F1, means I will only get to see half the races live and the rest as highlights due to the cost savings the bbc have to make

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

What a bloody joke! No point in paying a license fee these days with all the stuff the bbc is giving away to other companies.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Car racing? I thought you meant a sport.

billybob
    Free Member

Imagine if they did it with football or tennis,

‘wow viewers that’s the first half of the world cup final over, the game is delicately balanced, tune in tonight at 12.30am for extended highlights to find out what happens in the second half.’

richmars

Still live races on the BBC website.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

billybob – Member
    Imagine if they did it with football

If only……! 😉

edhornby

good, lets replace it with cycling on the telly – mountain biking, road biking, national track championships etc

thepurist

Just seen this – pointless deal from the BBC for anyone who’s an F1 fan, and it’s not going to attract any more fans to the sport either. Do I feel like paying $ky to watch adverts interspersed with a bit of F1… do I hell. Will I be looking for a dodgy foreign live streaming service – yep.

EDIT – richmars, where does it say that it’ll be live on their website?

uplink
    Free Member

Looking forward to ad breaks at key moments 😐

Drac

Well it costs them millions with with no real return so saves the BBC a fortune to let it go.

racemonkey

Didn’t see the website thing either.

It’ll be exiting to watch listen to all the attempted overtaking manouveres on radio 5 though. 😥

racemonkey

Drac, what returns do they get from showing any televised sport though?

kimbers

well Rupert Murdoch got Cameron in power of course he expects his payment
    bskyb profits massively up today
    I’m glad i never pay a penny to his tv or his papers , sadly a lot of people do

jon1973
    Free Member

Indeed. You could argue the same about News and the BBC. It’s about providing a service primarily, not returning a profit.

uplink
    Free Member

Pretty sure that RTL Germany still broadcast in the clear on the old Astra [Sky] satellite at 19E – I’ll check today

They show it live so you could simply use an old Sky dish or similar and listen to the R5 commentary , as a bonus, it’ll also give you Eurosport in English

cp

I’m a huge F1 fan, and this has probably put a nail in the coffin for me following f1 I’m afraid…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hahaha F1, it’s a bit 3rd world sport these days isn’t it?

Why not put it on BBC3 say 9pm after the watershed, the day after the race itself.

I’m happy enough to pay the license fee for BBC4 alone.

tomlevell

richmars – Member

Still live races on the BBC website.

Nope
    From the BBC website

Races screened by the BBC will be live on the BBC Sport website for UK users.

May as well stopping watching now. Probably watch the Monaco Grand Prix as a one off event in the future.

Drac

They can sell some footage of other sports but they can’t sell footage of F1 it’s Bernie’s.

Indeed. You could argue the same about News and the BBC. It’s about providing a service primarily, not returning a profit.

Indeed you can as they sell that footage too so see some return.

neil853
    Free Member

total dog sh$t

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

the beeb sell their commentary all over the world Drac…

racemonkey

Still I guess by not paying Bernie and saving on Jake’s easyjet fares they can carry on paying for loads of staff to watch the olympics that no-one could get tickets to and sending hundreds of people to lots of music festivals will all be fine.

Guess I’ll just enjoy this season then forget about it in future.

uplink
    Free Member

the beeb sell their commentary all over the world Drac..

They sell the unique VT too

philconsequence
    Free Member

how disappointing, sunday in the consequence household means waking up and watching a film whilst mrsconsequence sleeps in, getting fuelled up and going for a bike ride with friends then returning home to relax together and watch the f1 with a big meal cooking in the kitchen.

Drac

the beeb sell their commentary all over the world Drac..

Not the footage then?

uplink
    Free Member

The chain’ll come off if you keep back peddling 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

no, cos thats sold by F1 – selling the commentary still means some return for the beeb though, doesn’t it.

MSP

60 million was far too much to be paying for that sport, it was out of balance with spending on other areas and sports. I think its a poor decision by Berni, and will damage the popularity of the sport in the UK, but its not a bad decision by the beeb to reduce its spending on it.

Dobbo

Bring the darts back, I miss Jocky Wilson.

Drac

The chain’ll come off if you keep back peddling

Where am I doing that? My original statement still stands, they paid a fortune for the no real income as they can’t sell the footage.

uplink
    Free Member

Where am I doing that? My original statement still stands, they paid a fortune for the no real income as they can’t sell the footage.

They can sell some footage of other sports but they can’t sell footage of F1 it’s Bernie’s.

Which ones?

Milkie
    Free Member

Dammit, my friends and I were only commenting on how good the F1 is on the BBC and how ITV ruined it.. If it’s available on the BBC website then great, otherwise I won’t be watching it anymore and I love my F1 !

Drac

Which ones?

Good question to which the answer if I’ll struggle with but isn’t some atheletics covered by the beeb, so when likes of ITV use their footage they have to pay them. Of course on that part I could be a mile out but I bet they’re not paying anyway near what they had to for F1.

binners

To be fair to the BBC (and I’m certainly not defending the evil Murdoch empire here) they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t

If they outbid Sky – cue ‘Outraged of Tumbridge Wells’ screaming about ‘my license fee going to pay for men driving cars around! There should be more episodes of Gardeners Question Time and Songs of Praise.

And if they don’t outbid them, well…. read all the above

The problem here isn’t the BBC. The problem is the monumental and limitless greed of the organisations that run sport. Their woefully short-sighted attitude means they sell to the highest bidder every single time. With no other consideration. Even if it ultimately means less people will enjoy their sport and its standing will be diminished.

And I’m afraid no-one can compete with the deep pockets of the evil empire. Depressing really

philconsequence
    Free Member

so the f1 on sky… is it going to be on one of the normal basic sky channels that everyone will get or only shown on a sports channel you have to pay extra for?

DrJ

It’ll be exiting to watch listen to all the attempted overtaking manouveres on radio 5 though.

Or they could condense all the overtaking manoeuvres into a clip to show between the news and the weather, and the rest of the time broadcast “vroom vroom” noises on the radio. Big money saving, and no loss of content.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Personally, I’m delighted and wish they’d drop it altogether, along with getting it off 5live too. However, I’m disappointed for all the F1 fans here who seem to enjoy it so much. You just know Sky will be shut at it.

Oh, and binners +1. Remember what happened when the RFU tried it?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Imagine if they did it with football

I live in hope …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘So the beeb lose another sport!!’ is closed to new replies.