Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • so what is middle-aged?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Ok, so clearly i’ve drunk too much tonight…

I remember, aged 17, listening to bowie, on a walkman the size of a brick, sing ‘who wants to be alive when you’re 25?’ and thinking wow thats some years away. Except now, in a few weeks, i’ m suddenly 20 years past 25.

I’m the lightest, by far, i’ve ever been in my adult life. I’ m the fittest i’ ve been. i’m surfing the best i ever have.

So why the f@ck am i so hung up on feeling that i’m ‘middle aged’? Surely that is a term our generation has rendered obsolete?

molgrips
    Free Member

Only problem I have with being middle aged is being closer to death 🙁

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Every generation thinks they’re different from the ones before them. Try telling a teenager you were the same as them once…

trout
    Free Member

No one knows when they are middle aged as you dont know when you will die

say you go to 70 then 35 is middle aged so what is in between middle aged and old aged

rob2
    Free Member

If it’s being woken up all night by your children and then they get up at 6am then I don’t like bring middle aged !

kaesae
    Free Member

Crap! but not as bad as it could be!

Leku
    Free Member

I just put a rear mud-guard on my Cotic.

And I’m wearing slippers….

bigant

There is an inverse relationship between age and how offensive you find the Daily Mail 👿

Mugboo

Its a state of mind…

donsimon
    Free Member

+1 Mugboo, it’s in your head, in your head, in your head, head, head.

For it’s an attitude.

don simon, 44 going on 20!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5 years older than you are. Myself I am approaching middle age at 50 and my 75 yr old mother claims to be approaching late middle age

globalti
    Free Member

Middle aged is how others see you.

I’m 54 yet I still have the same 32″ waist, I have a resting HR of 48, can road cycle 100 miles, ride my MTB faster down a hill than a bloke on a full DH rig, ski any black or skin up any mountain and apart from a couple of aches and sprains have no illness that I’m aware of. I think of myself as about 25 mentally as I think I’m open, interested and keen to learn about new things. I see blokes my age and can’t believe how old they look and behave, it’s as if most people aged 54 have accepted that they will slow down and get ill.

Yet I’ve seen a bit of life so inevitably I have some ideas on how I think things should be done; when I express these ideas people (my family) deride me as old-fashioned and fuddy-duddy. But I simply don’t see myself as middle aged, for me that’s the ultimate term of derision.

I think of myself as MV40 rather than middle aged.

Simon

Mugboo – Member
    Its a state of mind…

So would you say you’re middle aged or not?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mugboo – Member
    Its a state of mind…

So would you say you’re middle aged or not?

Put it this way, I bought him a nice wool vest for his birthday.

gordimhor

I wouldn’t say I am middle aged but that doesn’t mean I am not 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

You are reading this thread, therefore you are middle aged.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I remember, aged 17, listening to bowie, on a walkman the size of a brick, sing ‘who wants to be alive when you’re 25?’

You start losing your memory…

Walkmans were about the size of a couple of fag packets and although Bowie wrote it, Mott the Hoople recorded “All the Young Dudes”.

Time for the bus pass, buddy.

iDave
    Free Member

If you need to sit down to put your socks on you’re middle aged

ride my MTB faster down a hill than a bloke on a full DH rig

which bloke? sounds like bullshit to me

epicyclo

You’re middle-aged when you have your first life changing medical event…

donsimon
    Free Member

Walkmans were about the size of a couple of fag packets and although Bowie wrote it, Mott the Hoople recorded “All the Young Dudes”.

Mott the Hoople doing a pretty cool Bowie impression. 😕

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZqY3hiXJr8[/video]

ton

i think middleaged is mid 40’s to late 50’s.
    so most of us saddo’s on here are well in the middle aged group.
    no matter howe fit you think you are, or how small your waist is…………..just accept it…….. 8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Fair enough. Proves my point, though. It’s my bus-pass year this year… 😯

I’ve already got a bus pass.
    But then, I work for the bus company.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fair enough. Proves my point, though. It’s my bus-pass year this year…

😀

loddrik
    Free Member

WTF has waist size got to do with being middle aged…..

Tbh I always imagined middle aged was 40. But as I am nearly 38 I’d imagine when I reach 40 I’ll suddenly think middle aged is 50.

jj55

It’s when you start asking ‘when is middle aged’

It’s when you ache for days after a good ride

It’s when you are still hung over on Monday after a night out on Saturday

It’s when your bladder becomes the size of a pea

It’s when you start thinking about ‘that blue pill’

It’s when you look back over your life more than you look foreward

It’s when you get angry about nothing in particular

It’s when you catch sight of yourself in a mirror and can’t believe what you see.

It’s when you see an old bloke coming down the street, and when you get closer you realise it’s one of your old school mates.

It’s when the first icy winds of old age start to swirl around you and you start to shiver!

But enjoy it because you will never be that young again!! 😯

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I am. Who cares!?

psling
    Free Member

‘Middle Age’ can come at any age. It’s when you start contemplating your navel and trying to justify to yourself (and anyone else who will listen) how ‘in shape’ you are, how fit you are, how much of a rad dude you are for your age. Sound familiar!?! 8)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    You’re middle-aged when you have your first life changing medical event…

+1. Brings the remaining time into focus.

DrJ

@jj55 – I resemble those remarks. Ouch 🙁

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Hmm nice thread. Yes what is middle-aged? Im 39 right now but will be 40 in just over 3wks time (eek!). Now Im having all the how the **** did that happen & wow I made it thats really rather impressive stuff (I do feel quite proud to be nearly 40! I think given my life for the last 40yrs its quite an achievement..)

Im fitter than Ive ever been, just over 71kg with a 31 inch waist & my HR is low 40’s. Ive made enough money to now spend my time riding bikes & other assorted outdoor high-jinks. (Yes Im an evil capitilist dog! Burn me! 😈 )

But Im still bothered about being older.. Why? I guess its a number of things.. my body hurts more when I train hard (no big deal really but I notice it), my friends & Family look older & I think thats the worst part.. I guess at middle-age mortality is just something you are that little bit more aware of. Not your own but maybe others..

Is that it? I dont know, old man ramblings over – I need to get & my bike sorted for tomorrows Brass Monkeys!

jj55

One thing I have noticed is that the older I become time really does go much MUCH quicker!! My 40’s went by in a flash, and now I’m halfway through my fifties and time appears to be speeding up even more. HELP! Where are the brakes, and are they disc or block?

samuri
    Free Member

Well I’m 43 or 44…

It’s when you start asking ‘when is middle aged’ Nope
    It’s when you ache for days after a good ride Nope
    It’s when you are still hung over on Monday after a night out on Saturday Nope
    It’s when your bladder becomes the size of a pea Nope
    It’s when you start thinking about ‘that blue pill’ Nope
    It’s when you look back over your life more than you look foreward Nope
    It’s when you get angry about nothing in particular Been doing this all my life.
    It’s when you catch sight of yourself in a mirror and can’t believe what you see. Nope
    It’s when you see an old bloke coming down the street, and when you get closer you realise it’s one of your old school mates. That’s them who has got old, not me.
    It’s when the first icy winds of old age start to swirl around you and you start to shiver! Nope

Yay, I’m still young!

gordimhor

jj55 dont brake too hard or youll go over the handlebars 😀

jj55

gordimhor ……….. that hurts more as well!!!!!!!

epicyclo

Don’t read this if you’re easily depressed 🙂

If you’re 40, you have probably got only 5-6 years before you run into some problem.

At 45 I reckon I was as fit as I’d ever been, 6 pack etc, then wham, had a medical problem, and that was it. No amount of training or exercise would regain the lost ground. This seems to be the experience of most of my age group, something hits in the 40-50s. Despite keeping as fit as possible, having a reasonably healthy lifestyle, I have had 3 major health problems since.

It’s not the end of the world, but then you’ll soon find you have to train hard to stay as crap as you were the year before, but you can’t train too hard because you then get other injuries. The main thing is to keep going at it, but with the realisation you’re mortal. 🙂

So make the most of the next few years. You won’t ever be able to push yourself so hard again, and if you have some grand adventure planned, do it now.

Sorry if that sounds depressing. I just wish I had been warned about this when I was young. I didn’t get to cycle to the South Pole, and now never will.

Still there is the short version of Iditabike… 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

Middle aged ? Meh.
    I’m 54, but enjoying life like a 30 year old. I still don’t believe our first child got married last summer.
    Luckily my body keeps doing it’s bit but I do dread a serious injury/illness. Getting back up could be tough.

BigJohn

I found yesterday that carrying a little 11-month old kid around town and sticking him in your trolley at Tesco really does result in more attractive women coming up and talking to you. I didn’t let on he was my grandson though. 🙂

Today, booking some cinema tickets for tonight, I find I am eligible for the “senior” rate as well, saving a couple of quid.

cinnamon_girl

Check out today’s edition of The Times, there is a multi-page article about the over-50’s darn that Carol Vorderman.

I’ve embraced being over-50 but, then again, I ride not ‘train’. My body works fine courtesy of glucosamine sulphate!

As an aside, I also quite enjoy a slightly eccentric demeanour. Folk no doubt say ‘silly old bat’. 🙄

At the end of the day, it’s down to you. It’s a number, that’s all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘so what is middle-aged?’ is closed to new replies.