Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Somebody pimped their Blur…
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sub-19lb Blur here. Pimptastic.

Thing that most interests me though is this bit;

“While we don’t, in general, advocate 10-speed systems for mountain bikes (some of us still miss our 8-speeds), we knew some of SRAM’s top-drawer Red road group was going to make its way onto this bike,” Currie explained. “The missing link required to let Red play nice with a mountain group was provided by Paul Price of Paul Components, who sent us one of the new Thumbies he’s designed to work with SRAM time-trial levers. The finished shifter was work of neo-retro art: a carbon fibre thumb shifter that weighed 30g less than even a SRAM X.0 twist shifter.”

Now, if I remember right, these new TT shifters from SRAM have a “return to centre” function, whereby they sit in a neutral position and you simply bang the gear up or down from there. Now this, to me, sounds like thumbie heaven….!

theflatboy
    Free Member

what’s the link to the info?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

WANT.

Give to me, it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Is is on Bike Radar

theflatboy
    Free Member
    Richyb
    Free Member

Thats mingin

aviemoron
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmm, me likey, especially the thumbies – I’d buy em.

MrAgreeable

Are those Maxxis Flyweights? Lose 200 grams rotating weight and turn your bike into a sketchy death machine in one fell swoop.

I don’t understand the mentality of these people who jump through any possible hoop to make their bike light, no matter how shit it is to actually ride. If you’re that determined to shave the grams then you might as well ride a unicycle.

theflatboy
    Free Member

did you read the article, mr a?

MrAgreeable

Yeah, but I’m not convinced. It came across as a bit pre-emptive, if you know what I mean. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s just an advertising statement for their service, isn’t it – like lotus doing up that lada riva for top gear, gets the name out there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MrA, there’s always the trickle down effect as well. People building loony bikes like this, and the Merida on the front page, have a longer term benefit to everyone.

After all, ten or fifteen years ago or so, full suspension? Disc brakes? Hydraulic seatposts? Are you quite mad? What’s the point? etc. etc. etc.

It’s called progress! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Now, if I remember right, these new TT shifters from SRAM have a “return to centre” function, whereby they sit in a neutral position and you simply bang the gear up or down from there. Now this, to me, sounds like thumbie heaven….!

Just mount them under the bars and you’re there!

MrAgreeable

Wasn’t the whole “make your bike as light as possible” craze around 10-15 years ago too? 😉

My take on these things is that someone has spent an exorbitant amount of money on a white elephant that is probably going to be about as nice to ride off-road, and as much fun, as a rigid singlespeed or a CX bike.

nickc

I agree with Flash, the point is, it can be done, and “relatively” sensibly. OK, it’s a shit load of cash, but I’ll bet they’ve sold one or two just like it. It wasn’t that long ago that I rode a hardtail steel bike for regular XC that weighed the same as Gee Atherton’s 2009 DH bike.

MrAgreeable

I bet Gee Atherton’s bike a) has someone to strip it down and check it for malfunctions and breakages after almost every run, and b) doesn’t have tyres that are useless anywhere other than a German bike show.

Dougal
    Free Member

There is some silly stuff on there, especially when you can build a 20.5lb full susser with no silly bits:

Ignore the flat bars, it had risers put on it after the first ride.

rOcKeTdOg

thumbies like the paddles on a F! car??

where do i send my cash???

mikey74
    Free Member

I have to say that that Blur is hideous (**throws up a little**)

njee20
    Free Member

Riser bars? Thought you said no silly parts 🙂

I like that Blur, they’re actually Maxxis Maxxlite 310s I’d say, which are worse than Flyweights, and worse than Schwalbe Furious Freds I’d say too! Still, stick some Rocket Rons and some ZTR Race 7000 wheels on there and you could keep the weight the same and make it more usable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Exactly! I have flappy paddles on the Audi and it’s lovely. the idea of a sort of sequential shifting thumbie is brilliant!

thomthumb
    Free Member

still could lose some weight with road front mech and there are lighter seatposts available. poor show!! 🙄

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Wouldn’t a hardtail with SIDs be lighter, or am I missing the point?

rOcKeTdOg

dougal are those your riding shoes?

Mistere
    Free Member

Exactly! I have flappy paddles on the Audi and it’s lovely. the idea of a sort of sequential shifting thumbie is brilliant!

Yeah! You could integrate them into the brake levers so you don’t even have to move your hands to reach them. Now if someone made something like that they’d sell millions!

crouch_potato
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

If so, you could save a good 50g by drilling out the heels. Alternatively, consider stilettos.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very nice looking for a Santa Cruz.

Not mad on that fork though.

Houns

Love it

Dougal
    Free Member

Yeah. The bunions are a bitch, but they make my (yes – shaved) legs look totally killer when I pop into the bakers for pie mid-ride.

For the return to center thumbies you’ll need….

* A pair of the SRAM TT shifters – £160 on CRC. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31541
    * A pair of pauls thumbie mounts – $50ish on fleabay. http://shop.ebay.com/paul%20thumbies?_nkw=paul+thumbies

Not that cheap really. You also have to put up with 10 speed road kit (Until XX comes out at the end of next year), unless the cable pull is the same as 9spd.

D0NK

Ooo I like it, could lose more weight on wheels n stuff and is that a remote on the forks?

I’ve always wanted a really light bike, trouble is if I got that I’d immediatley put on some spds instead of those silly things, seat QR, crud catcher, yeti lock on grips, decent treads – then after the first 15 pinch flats I’d probably bung a DH tube in the back tyre. Well done donk your 19lb superbike just piled on the pounds like a post fight ricky hatton.

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m gingerly trying some Egg Beaters out at the moment, I’m sorely tempted by some 4ti ones, but they are just so expensive, and by all accounts they fall apart!

Grippy tyres is fair enough, Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs are still reasonably light, run them tubeless and you needn’t worry about pinch flats. Lock-on grips are silly. Seat QRs and crud catchers are unnecessary!

Light bikes can be very usable these days, look at Dougals MSC, or my Epic which isn’t much heavier.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I rather like the look of the Blur.

Just one question regarding the sudden “Must have return to centre shifters” don’t normal MTB shift levers always end up in the same place or am I REALLY missing something here?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, but they’re multiple levers. This is one lever which you can push away to shift up the block, and pull towards you to shift down the block.

I don’t actually think it would work that well, I think you’d struggle to pull the shifter towards you in a hurry.

steve_b77
    Free Member

njee,

sounds a bit of a pointless concept when mounted on normal bars, I understand the usefulness when mounted on the end of TT bars.

Dougal
    Free Member

njee20 – What Epic do you have? Current S-Works weighs in at 23lbs, owners were seen crying at last BMBS when my bike was weighed.

njee20
    Free Member

Your memory is hazy Dougal, when I weighed my Epic at BMBS 1 it was 21.2, the Anthem X0 was 23. The Epic is presently 20.9, still not quite as light as yours. And if you’ll recall, I asked to weigh yours, as I knew it would be lighter 🙂

Dougal
    Free Member

I’ll blame the heat for my memory loss. Impressed the Epic was that light. You racing this weekend?

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed I am, you? Your local round I guess!

Dougal
    Free Member

Only a four hour drive, local-tastic!

njee20
    Free Member

Well if you will live oop North!

It’s 5 for me, if that’s any consolation. But then Crow Hill’s only an hour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Somebody pimped their Blur…’ is closed to new replies.