Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Something a bit different this weekend…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

This weekend, Humanbean (occasional poster) and I went for a ride with a difference.

Took the last train from Malvern to London on saturday night arriving at midnight. We rode up to Parliament hill for a couple of tinnies and then in the twilight and as dawn was breaking went to explore parts of the centre of the city. Came back on the first train on Sunday morning at 8am and snatched an hour’s sleep. Then since I was in the mood went onut on the Pompino for another hour 🙂 Bike’s are great arent they?

Covered 31+ miles playing in deserted streets, on steps and landscaping. Checking out the city architecture when you’ve got the time and space to gaze around without the traffic or pedestrians to worry about. Its been a couple of years since I used to live in London and I used to often ride around on Sunday mornings (though not quite this early 🙂 ) on my own, so was good to get a few pics and do a few things I woudnt normally with a mate this time.

The route we took (note we didnt need to go East of Tower Bridge since there’s nothing of note out that way).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2915839

Not many pics as it was for the most part too dark and I only have integrated flash, not to mention we were enjoying riding too much 🙂

Finally got to ride the escalator at Moorgate – been meaning to do this since I first saw it years ago

got this cool one of Mr Bunbury riding under an underpass near Southwark that had leds in the pavement

The GLA at 4:00 in the morning

And Mr Bunbury himself.

juan
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t show this post to rudy…
    Or we’ll get about the greatest city on earth for the whole summer. I like the southwark shot though

Stoner
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t show this post to rudy…

it’s like a baited trap.

I wonder if he can keep his hyperbole under control this morning?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

RudeBoy’s gonna have an orgasam over this thread….

:mrgreen:

Nice pics, looks like fun..
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And I GOTTA ask, did you ride DOWN on the UP escalator as it was moving?

juan
    Free Member

RudeBoy’s gonna have an orgasam over this thread….

Now that is just gross…

Stoner
    Free Member

PP – I rode down it, and unfotunately they had turned it off (it was 3am). I have seen it running very late at night and have always wanted to ride it. Its outdoors.

Stoner
    Free Member

a list of places we played

Stepped terrace in front of Aviva tower and the Gherkin
    Narrow alleyways off Lombard tnad threadneedle
    Millenium bridge and steps
    Thames path at the Globe (steps and terrraces)
    GLA “The Scoop”
    Sheldon Square and Paddington Basin stepped sunken areas between the new buildings and the canal
    Little Venice
    Coporation of London Guildhall
    Paternoster Square/St Pauls

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – I rode down it, and unfotunately they had turned it off (it was 3am). I have seen it running very late at night and have always wanted to ride it. Its outdoors.

Awwww, spoilsports!
    Next time eh?
    Escalators have to be pinch-puncture-tastic though, with the sharp edges to the steps?
    🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

float like a butterfly young paddowan 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL!
    Maybe you can, but I descend like an elephant: Lots of speed, very little control, hope for the best!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

looks great, London is only ever beautiful when there are no miserable Londoners/tourists ruining it. I often see it at silly o’clock because of my work and the hours between 3am and 5am in summer are just great.

I also once walked down the Thames after coming out of The End in a slightly altered state of mind at about 6am just as the sun came up listening to a Nick Warren mix on my minidisc player. Buzzing 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

[hijack]PP since you’re on here…Im after some O rings for a set of rebas (2x sets of 32mm stanchion, dual air, one balck box, one motion control) for both the damper and spring sides – any idea where to get a box full online from??[/hijack]

juan
    Free Member

but I descend like an elephant

Cake intake 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

as the sun came up listening to a Nick Warren mix on my minidisc player. Buzzing

gurning no doubt 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Used to work up the road from that bit of Southwark street. Always wanted to take my trials bike up there 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

retro – just further along from the underpass there are raised curbs with kicker lips on them 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP since you’re on here…Im after some O rings for a set of rebas (2x sets of 32mm stanchion, dual air, one balck box, one motion control) for both the damper and spring sides – any idea where to get a box full online from??

Oooooo. That’s a question for you.
    Sorry, but no I don’t have a clue. I’ve only ever replaced seals myself and cleaned/refitted/lubes the O-rings I already had….

I can see where you’re coming from though: Oil seals can be had cheaply (Ask Solamanda about that) and the rest is just standard O-rings…..

Stoner
    Free Member

oil seals – do you mean the grey wipers at the top of the lower? SOlamanda has a source does he? TBH mine are fine, but after I serviced the forks there’s a bit of stiction and Id like to replace all the sealing O-rings in the circuits – I think my mates is leaking oil out the bottom of the damper into the lower leg 🙁

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

sounds like an awesome weekend

Stoner
    Free Member

it was.
    but I had to go to bed at 6pm last night…
    I’m not the night-owl I used to be 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

that looks like a lot of fun – i’ll have to get involved with some of that, maybe a super early sunday morning effort. any more good pics?

Stoner
    Free Member

We took only a few photos as it was pretty dark and I couldnt be arsed stopping to take the camera out all the time.
    Ive put them all up here anyway (currently uploading so give it a minute)
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/northmalvern/LondonRide

no more good ones I dont think.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I also once walked down the Thames after coming out of The End in a slightly altered state of mind

Are you Jesus?

Stoner
    Free Member

he probably was thinking he was…

pedalhead
    Free Member

looks fantastic, was thinking about doing something similar recently.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i like this one:

solamanda
    Free Member

I hear my name…

The oil seal inside a pair of rock shox forks sits under the grey outer seal, if they’re leaking oil and you catch it early, the grey outer dust seal should be reuseable. The oil seal is a standard part, just remove and use the markings on it to order from a bearing/seal supplier either in person or by phone. I can’t remember the specification off hand. Shouldn’t cost more than a few pounds each.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Something a bit different this weekend…’ is closed to new replies.