Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sooo, Trails in Knoydart?
  • DavidM
    Free Member

Soo what does STW know about the area? Having a look at the map and the Coire Chorsalain above Corran and the trail up Gleann Unndalain over to Lochan nam braic, then alon to Loch Quoich and back over through Barrisdale Forest both look promising from the map? Does anyone know if those dotted lines are the glorious slivers of singletrack I hope they are, or just Gradd n' Bog?

Cheers

13thfloormonk

Can vouch for the trail running up to and down from Mam Meadail. Fairly high quality stalker's path, although the climb up from camusrory would be mostly pushing.

have seen pictures on geograph.org.uk to suggest the trail from Glen Dessary to Sourlies is mostly unrideable…

DavidM
    Free Member

Cheers. Just Geograph'd Mam Meadail and it looks like it might be good singletrack from the pictures? I have heard that coming over from Gel Dessary is a bit pants. I think the Mallaig ferry in and out coupled with whatever trails look promising might be a plan.

This picture of the east side Mam Unndalain look tempting, maybee linking up with the Glen Carnach trail

People really do need to focus less on the scenery and take more pictures of the trails on geograph

13thfloormonk

Haha, and they should also provide detailed accounts of how rideable the trails might actually be. Thoughtless not to really.

That other picture looks great too, I'll be passing through the eastern end of Glen Dessary next weekend, hope the trails are something like that!

You should check out the trails along the side of Loch Morar, you get to the trail head at Tarbet by ferry and ride back. We did the western half as an out-and-back and it was brilliant.

senojevad
    Free Member

Last year myself and Scratch (from here) did the following (on rigid singlespeeds):
    Glen Dessary to Sourlies : Push up, carry down, for the most part
    Sourlies to invervie via Mam Medial: Push up good decent. Possibly ok in the other direction
    Inverie to Barrisdale via Mam Barrisdale: Push up, ok descent. Ridable both directions with gears I'd say
    barrisdale to Kinloch Hourn – loch side: amazing walking path, terrible with bikes

13thfloormonk

Booooo, I had high hopes for that lochside path 🙁

DavidM
    Free Member

I have walked the lockside path, and whilst I reckon you would be on and off the bike a lot, It would be a nice ride, especially when you throw in the scenery. Don't know if you guys are interested but just found this:

''Not only was there a path running up over the pass and into Gleann Unndalain, but it was one of the nicest paths imaginable. The impression I got was that it was an old packhorse road, but it was certainly old and blended very well into its surroundings.

Often clinging to the edge of the hill, it wended its way oh so gently up to our high point of the day of just under 550m.

I already had a grin on my face, and was skipping along, but didn't expect the path to continue down the other side.

It did, and with stunning views opening out over Barrisdale Bay we made our way down to Barrisdale''

Sounds promising right? I guess there is only one way to find out

13thfloormonk

Hmm… I'll be camping at Skiary or nearby on Saturday night, could be an interesting expedition on sunday 😀

Edit: Ancient pony tracks built by a disgraced south african ex-militant? Sounds like my sort of caper! Good find DavidM

stevomcd
    Free Member

Anyone know if the land route in/out of Knoydart is do-able on an MTB? All the ramblers-type reports say no, but what would they know? 😉

ianpv
    Free Member

This is a nice day out, with lunch at the pub, but requires a little bit of preplanning unless you're a very strong swimmer…

The lochside path is in parts superb technical riding or very very frustrating depending on your skill level (for most I'd say the balance would be on the very frustrating side, especially after a pretty long day in the saddle).

13thfloormonk

Thats a good looking route! Ferry from Corran? What are the little buildings beside the lochans before you descend to Corran?

huggis
    Free Member

DaveM – was it the path along Louch Hourn that you walked / cycled in and out?

DavidM
    Free Member

Huggis – Yep, the Barrisdale – Kinloch Hourne trail, it is the final part of Ianpv's route above. I walked it quite a while back, quite a lot of up and down considering it is a 'loch side' trail. From what I remember (not that much), and as the guys say aboce I think it would be challenging but good fun.

I think I am going to have to give this Mam Barrisdale – Mam Undallain – Mam Meadail loop a go. To promising not to.

13thfloormonk, can I persuade you to take some pictures this weekend?

13thfloormonk

I will be taking copious photos, however I won't be back for three weeks so I hope you're patient!

Plus there's a chance I won't go as its a diversion from my route, weather permitting I think!

DavidM
    Free Member

No worries, three weeks in the highlands – pretty jealous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sooo, Trails in Knoydart?’ is closed to new replies.