Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sore knees :( Any ideas?
  • Zoolander
    Free Member

I know that the answer is to see a doctor, so I'll do so but as it's due to cycling and you are all cyclists I'll ask you lot as well.
    I've been suffering with a sore knee for a while now. Only get it on the left knee and usually towards the end of rides and it's normally fine and can ride on it again the next day. Started some months ago when on a fairly easy ride there was a painfull burning sensation at the front of the knee just below the knee cap (which is where the ache is now as well), which just sort of came from nowhere. It's never been that bad since but just aches at the end of rides and ain't getting any better with time? Anyone suffered from similar or any ideas?

nuke

Clipless pedals? If so which ones.

I use Shimano SPDs and recently started getting knee ache on long rides but experimented with the cleat position and it went.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cool I may try that, what worked for you in terms of cleat position? I've been using shimano spds.

nuke

what worked for you in terms of cleat position? I've been using shimano spds.

I could feel in my knee that as I went into the pedal stroke my knee/foot wanted to twist slightly but couldn't because there was no more float remaining. I moved the cleats so they were pointing in slightly towards the frame on both sides and, after a bit of trial and error, it was problem solved. Still, what works for me may not work for you…all trial and error.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Quite right. I'll have a tinker I think . Thanks

shadthebad
    Free Member

If the problem is not your bike, then it sounds like you may have a touch of Patellar Tendonitis, aka "Jumpers Knee". You can buy a support strap to help relieve the pressure off the tendon just below the knee cap. You're probably best getting it checked by a physio.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Moving the cleats to allow your knee to twist might just hide the real problem.
    A lot of riders tend to get knee pain towards the end of long rides because the muscles holding the knee in line get tired, resulting in the knee twisting in or out and resulting in knee pain. It would be worth trying a bit of stretching, and looking up some exercises to strengthen your hip adductors and abductors.
    Also, its worth getting your bike fitted properly. I'm sure everyone knows the parameters of what position feels right, but its worth getting an expert to make sure the fine details are correct.
    o, and seeing a doctor wont help; they'll tell you to rest, or ride your bike less!

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

It could be Patellar Tendonitis – if it's not down to the bike (pedal position, seat height, etc), but it could also be a number of other conditions. You don't say how old you are, but Osgood-Schlatter disease is common in active teenage cyclists.

Ti29er
    Free Member

What bike are you riding?

teef
    Free Member

Ice after ride

Aus
    Free Member

I switched from Shimano SPDs to Time (on advice) and it really seemed to help my knee discomfort

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I can sympathise with you, I've been getting the similar pains but in my right knee. I read on the net about moving the cleats forward a few mm's might help. I did this and could hardly walk the next day, knee was really sore.

Went to the doctors who said to rest and she'd book me a physio. A week off the bike and the gym helped, then started back at the gym and had my first ride back on the bike two weeks later. Moved cleats back around 5mm's now which seems to have helped. Had a ride out today and knee seems ok, but can feel a bit of pain on the MCL (medial collateral ligament). I recon even when I get a physio appointment they'll be no help unless they are a cycling/sports enthusiast. Must save up for a private physio who's sports specific.

voodoo_chile

had same burning pain right knee below kneecap using shimano spd too ,got bad pain physio i went to is looking at patella tendonitis aka "jumper's knee" she has ultrasounded ,heat treatment and acupuncture all over the joint
    repositioned the cleat now no pain riding the bike but pain whenever i am off it !!!!

jacko54321
    Free Member

physio maybe, might just be a bit weak around the knee

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cheers all. Will seek the quacks advice but will play around with the cleats aswell.
    Am riding an inbred and saddle height seems right for me. Am wondering if I should have gone for the next frame size up as the seat has to be back as far as it can go – could seat back too far be a possible cause?

tall_martin

I had some knee pain and its gone due to a combination of switching from shimano to time pedals and lowering my saddle about and inch.

Good luck!

Starrman28
    Free Member

Could be just cold weather, my left knee really suffers if its cold so I have to wear knee warmers until the weather gets really warm.

isnilloc
    Free Member

I also had simular after 4 or 5 hours.

I adjusted both my cleats(use TIME better :-)) and saddle height. Worked a treat.

Stretch before a ride and after….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sore knees :( Any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.