Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Southern riders – your favourite bluebell wood is …
  • cinnamon_girl

I am eagerly anticipating a huge display of bluebells this year and thought it would be interesting to hear STW'ers recommendations. 😀

So … name the county and the wood then marks out of 10 please! Just to clarify, am particularly keen to hear about Chilterns, Berkshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset.

Thank you so much!

soobalias
    Free Member

burnham beeches – but i usually only visit on foot, with the dog

for riding, the ones on my doorstep loop – but im not telling you where that is, sorry. (chilterns)

the green tips are poking through the leaf mulch already!

dalepoint
    Free Member

christmas common balhams farm

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, two Chilts recommendations already 8)

C'mon on SOOBalias, give us a clue!

dalepoint
    Free Member

tips are showing and the trails are drying out a bit as well. be careful anyone doing the stonor fence desent locals have been blocking the desent every twenty feet with all sorts mate broke a collar bone the other week. have reported to the council. silly old sods must have taken the most of the day to build them half a tree in one place even built a stone wall backed with soil for support. shame a nice quick desent.

kimbers

ashridge is always good

just google images for ashridge and bluebells

jfeb
    Free Member

Ashridge – spring bluebell walks (rides for some) are an institution where I live

ETA – beaten to it!

soobalias
    Free Member

leaving the road on to a footpath, which contours the hill through about a mile of newish plantation, corner sharply right and then left, the trees open up to reveal a large dip, 0.5k across. bluebells as wide as you can see, all the way down, up the other side and across the top to distant left (trail goes right)

obviously you cannot ride there as its a footpath.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Dalepoint

the stonor fence desent locals have been blocking the desent every twenty feet with all sorts mate broke a collar bone the other week. have reported to the council. silly old sods must have taken the most of the day to build them half a tree in one place even built a stone wall backed with soil for support. shame a nice quick desent.

Do you mean this one: http://www.multimap.com/s/RVwGiZdt
    If so that's bang out of order, and very dangerous. And i was planning on riding it this weekend.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The woods outside Lockeridge (W of Marlborough) are lovely most years.
    Chute Forest has some lovely spots of bluebells as well.

However, my current favourite bluebell/bike related memory is of a hot sunny day riding Hermon at CYB, with that wonderful heady scent filling the air.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Oh, and sorry c-g – just to stay on topic: far end of shotover hill, running parallel to the byway. lovely bluebells usually.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Micheldever woods, just north of Winchester. Some good bridleways around there too…

cookeaa

Bluebells? don't really notice them until I'm cleaning their pulped little flowers from my tyre tread at the end of a ride…
    Surely this is one for the gardeners world panel?

Rio

Great Widmoor Wood in the Chilterns. A beautiful birch copse that always has a stunning display of bluebells.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

+ 1 for Shotover Hill

And the snowdrops up on Boars Hill were looking very nice when we weaved through them on Tuesday night.

MaxWall
    Free Member

West Woods nr Pewsey, Wiltshire. Always manages to make even the dullest of days seem bright and cheery. I think this is the same as CFH has already mentioned good riding around the Vale of Pewsey, going out there on Sunday 21st March!!

Dr_Bakes

Looks like the Chilterns is the place to be for bluebells.

My vote goes to the misleadingly named Grim's Ditch:

It's far from grim, especially when the bluebells are out. Shame this bit is 'misleadingly' shown as footpath on the OS.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, that's it! West Woods! Had forgotten the name!

Pewsey…happy memories…! 😈

yossarian
    Free Member

the kings woods nr challock in East Kent and various other parts of blean & thornden

I'm moving back to Oxford soon so looking forward to some chiltern/bluebell rides – i wonder if they are as amazing as I remember them from way back 🙂

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Oh, that bit looks lovely Dr B. As we walk our bikes through that part we'll be able to take in their beauty in more detail…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Borthwood Copse (Winford) and The copse on the north of Tennyson Trail by Bowcombe Down both have crackling bluebell patches (Both on the Isle of Wight)

RepacK
    Free Member

Dalepoint thats bad sh1t. Its totally illegal & highly dangerous – take the obstacles down would be my advice..As for bluebells CG? Well its been a whiles since I rode the Chilterns so Im not totally sure but Im gonna say the slopes above Hambleden..I seem to remember lots of blueness up there.

cinnamon_girl

That's pretty shocking news about the Stonor bridleway 😯

Thanks for all the replies, reckon I'll be a bit busy and saddle-sore next month!

dalepoint
    Free Member

crispedwheel
    yep thats the one had troble there on and off for a couple of years worst one was half a tree balanced across the fence and a tree at head height as you round the tree at the top come down to a small drop before it opens up wide. took the gravel rash ripped shorts better than no head. night ride Tuesday starting there were you cant see before you are in it every 20 feet or so. pointless mindless idiots. all the root balls from the locals raiding the compost heap to build the blocks were a bit of a give away. I cleared it as I came down as I had friends following me so they could have a clear run. but be aware in case they have been building again proceed with caution. I have reported it to oxford council but what they can do I dont know.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Good work on reporting to the council. We ride with a couple of local police officers so might be worth mentioning it to them.

tang
    Free Member

sheepscombe, cranham and painswick in gloucestershire. beech woods loaded with bluebells and wild garlic. some great trails through them also!

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Bluebells? In Hampshire?
    Well, Itchen Wood and Parnholt Wood are both pretty good.
    The wood on top of Moundsmere (the lumpy bit between Ellisfield and Bradley), I think I met you up there last year CG.
    There's usually some in Longwood Warren and the tracks around Marwell and Owslebury.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Kings wood near Winscombe in Somerset is also nice on the bluebells front.

mutley
    rOcKeTdOg

the NW Alps is usually abundant with bluebells, we are the the biggest Uk exporter

wiltsrover
    Free Member

Yes West Woods are superb, although avoid going on the weekends when the tracks are fully open to vehicles in early May, they get hundreds there and its rubbish for riding. Plenty of orchids in the woods as well.

Another couple of sites in Wiltshire are the woods at Great Ridge near Salisbury and Cranbourne Chase near Shaftesbury, Wilts/Dorset border, decent riding in both places along with good pubs and tea shops!

tommo999
    Free Member

The Angmering Park Estate in Sussex has loads of bluebell woods – you could ride for 45 minutes without seeing the same part twice, mostly on singletrack 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for tang's suggestions up there as well. Oh, and a few beers at the Butcher's go down a treat too!

clubber
    Free Member

Leigh Woods, Bristol has a couple of very good bluebell spots – on in particularl has a great bit of singletrack right through it which makes for great pics.

tang
    Free Member

flash im up the butchers now as it happens….quick ride up to cranham, rude not to! dont drink anymore but when i did, pint of 'pigs ear' please!

nickc

Another vote for Grim's Ditch along the way to Nuffield in't Chilterns. Haven't been up or down Stonor for a while, will check it out.

atlaz
    Free Member

Forgotten the name, but the one up on a hill by Gatwick. Not ridable in any sense and at times, barely walkable if you don't want to kill off bluebells.

cinnamon_girl

Well, this place never ceases to amaze me! So many replies to a bluebell thread. My maps will be well-marked with places to visit. 😀

UnderThewood – oh yes, the singlespeeders meet in the woods!

rOcKeTdOg[quote]the NW Alps is usually abundant with bluebells, we are the the biggest Uk exporter [/quote]

I do hope you are not picking them!

grahamb
    Free Member

Second what tommo999 said, Wepham Wood between Worthing & Arundel. Has a few bridleways through it.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Yes West Woods near Marlorough is beautiful when the bluebells are out

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Southern riders – your favourite bluebell wood is …’ is closed to new replies.