Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Specialized helmet replacement scheme: how does it actually work?
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, following a bit of a nasty crash on Wednesday night, my Spesh S1 helmet has a proper crack, and a piece missing out of it. I did have concussion, but fortunately the helmet has done it’s job, of saving me from far more serious injury, thank God.

So what’s the deal with the replacement/discount scheme? Anyone had experience of how it actually works?

The helmet was bought in 2003, when I worked at Cycle Surgery. I have no receipt, as I bought it through the Staff Discount scheme they had. Cost me £50, I think. Was a £100 helmet at the time! I may be able to provide proof of purchase through CS.

What do I need, to get a replacement/discount, if indeed this is still possible, after all this time? I can’t remember what the deal was, when I bought it.

I will be buying a replacement, but it would be nice to get a bit of money off, in these austere times.

Any thoughts?

And what’s the current equivalent of an S1? Small, light and low-profile.

robbo1234biking

I rang up (the number was on the old forum) and they just asked me to send the old helmet in with a cheque for a replacement. Think it cost £16 for a £50 helmet – no need for proof of pruchase. Im sure someone will know the number

robbo1234biking

Specialized (UK) Ltd

Longmead Business

Centre Felstead Rd

Epsom Surrey

KT19 9QG

Tel: 01372 840800

This is the place I had to send mine to – worth giving them a ring

alexpalacefan

Just tried this number, seems to be outdated, Epsom Motor Company or something. The nice lady there gave me the following to try, which woked a treat.
    0208 391 3500
    £50 for a replacement 2D

A

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, nice one,thanks. I’ll try the second number, when Tiscali fix my bloody ‘phone line. Odd, that my internets aren’t affected.

That 2D looks nice. Think I’ll toddle down to a bike shop later, to try one on for size.

Matt Black, or Silver?

robbo1234biking

Oooops sorry about that! Cheers for finding the right one!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Glad your bonce is OK RB.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I’m not sure about that, but it appears to be intact, at least. What state the contents are in, is anyone’s guess.

Best to preserve the pickled remains a bit longer, praps.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah from what I was told you don’t need proof of purchase and I think you can also request a different colour for the replacement (no clue if diff size is allowed though). Dented my 2D a few weeks back but needed a replacement a few days later so ended up having to buy a new one, haven’t decided yet if I want to spend another £50 on a spare (already have two Giro’s for that :p ).

njee20
    Free Member

The 2D is a far better helmet, you’ve done yourself a favour by smashing up your S1!

It’s all about the white IMO.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I loved my S1. Small, light and even stylish looking! 🙁

The 2D looks good. White would certainly be a good idea, in terms of night-time visibility. Hmm..

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just spoke to Spesh UK (really nice sounding Aussie/Kiwi lass), and all I have to do is send the helmet back to them, and a cheque for £50, and I’ll get a brand new S-works 2D helmet! Sweet!

Plus, I may be able to have mine sent back, so’s I can give it to my Yute Worker mate, to show kids on his cycle scheme thing why you should wear a helmet!

I have a lot to thank that helmet for. Quite possible, it saved me life. Certainly from far more serious injury. If it can possible be used to persuade others why they should wear a helmet, then that would be fantastic.

devs
    Free Member

It’s probably caused you severe spinal injuries due to unmeasurable rotational forces. It possibly took out an orphanage too.

matt_outandabout

😆

flatback
    Free Member

i used this once after a crash and spesh were very helpful, a friend decided to get a new helmet from the replacement policy when he found out i had got one
    so he put his helmet on the floor jumped on it and broke his ankle,helmet was fine though
    karma!!!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL! Serves him right!

In a spookily similar case; a mate of mine was knocked off his bike. A few bruises, nowt much. Decided he wanted some compo, so he jumped on his bike wheel or something, to damage it and therefore have something to claim for, and ended up with the same result! The bike was fine.

Me? I laughed!

Now, what colour..?

fizzer
    Free Member

This colour

aP
    Free Member

Just get the white one.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Nah; the red is too lary.

It’s a choice of white, black or grey, I reckon.

FuzzyWuzzy

I had a silver one originally but swapped to a Lotto team colour one last time (similar to the red one above but a bit less lairy as black at the front, then a red bit then white), looks better IMO :p

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Specialized helmet replacement scheme: how does it actually work?’ is closed to new replies.