Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Speed limit on a dual carriageway?
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

So I always thought that the national speed limit on a dual carriageway with a central reservation was 70 mph.

So was surprised to read this

Chief Insp Andy Clarke, of Mansfield police, said: “There was a very real risk that someone could have been seriously injured because there were people walking into on a road where cars travel at 60 mph.Link

Does it make a difference if the road has a very very large central reservation? Large enough to find some nice off road biking 🙂

A611 between Hucknall and Annesley btw

Cougar

It’s 70 unless signed otherwise. Is it signed otherwise?

allthepies
    Free Member

70 for cars/bikes unless signed otherwise. 60 for vans.

ebygomm
    Free Member

National speed limit signs only

TooTall
    Free Member

Best way I was told to judge whether it is a dual carriageway:

Can you roll a ball from one side to another? If you can, it isn’t.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You’d struggle to throw a ball from one side to the other, nevermind roll it.

totalshell
    passtherizla
    Free Member

Have a look at this quite interesting…

Know you speed limits
    edit: too slow

ebygomm
    Free Member

All supports what I’ve always thought to be the case, just surprised that apparently the the Mansfield police Chief Inspector doesn’t know.

GrahamS

So I always thought that the national speed limit on a dual carriageway with a central reservation was 70 mph

<pedant>it wouldn’t be a dual carriageway without a central reservation</pedant>

coffeeking
    Free Member

All supports what I’ve always thought to be the case, just surprised that apparently the the Mansfield police Chief Inspector doesn’t know.

Tis possible he is human and made a mistake?

poly
    Free Member

Or perhaps he was referring to typical actual speed rather than the limit.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Or perhaps he was referring to typical actual speed rather than the limit.

Typical actual speed is probably more like 80mph, especially late at night

Wibble89
    Free Member

<pedant>it wouldn’t be a dual carriageway without a central reservation</pedant>

Correct it would be as S4 instead of a D2

midlifecrashes

If it’s the area I’m thinking of it’s more like a rural one way system with two lanes in each leg, you can’t even see the other road so I’d not have considered it as a dual carriageway.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It is that area midlifecrashes. I wasn’t sure whether the fact that the carriageways follow totally different routes affected it’s classification and thus speed limit.

midlifecrashes

Mind you if you’re coming from Hucknall end it starts as a regular dual, then splits where the new road was built on, if you come from Annesley end it just looks like you’ve come on a one way road that later merges in to a dual. Off to google streetview to look at the signs now.

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s not classed as a dual carriageway, there is no central reservation, just an entire woodland (w some decent trails in) between carriageways
    It is a bit of an oddity as it is dual lane and as safe of not safer than a dual carriageway but the limit there is definately 60
    I should know I fell foul of it a few years ago said the same to the copper and was actually let off with a warning as he agreed with me but did state they don’t class it as a dual carriageway 😉

midlifecrashes

Yup, loads of one way signs, white arrow on blue, and no stopping circles too. Can’t be classed as a dual if the one way signs are there.

ebygomm
    Free Member

So the Hucknall end where it’s a traditional dual carriageway would still be 70 then turn into a 60 past the Newstead turnoff?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Speed limit on a dual carriageway?’ is closed to new replies.