Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Speedplay: a warning
  • aracer
    Free Member

I know how hot they are on the legal stuff on here, so in order to try and avoid this posting being removed by Speedplay’s lawyers I’ll just post the link:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80010
    read and make up your own mind whether they’re a company you want to buy from.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve even picked up a set of their pedals, they any good?

wwaswas

they any good?

lots of float for the weak of knee is their usp, well that and an, eerrrmm, unusual approach to customer service and brand promotion.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey.

Assholes.

RealMan
    Free Member

Assholes.

+1.

D0NK

ouch, so basically you are not allowed to sell generic bearings if you say “these might fit speedplay pedals”? or if you do their lawyers will come along with their great vengeance and furious anger bit?

mrmo
    Free Member

i had thought about trying a set once my Times died, but looks like i might just get a newer set of Times when the time comes.

d4
    Free Member

Thinking I may look at Time for floaty pedals instead.

FuzzyWuzzy

I use Speedplays (on the road) but yeah that’s a pretty appalling way to behave for a company.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What a bunch of grade-A arses.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m glad to see this thread is resulting in the intended response. Somewhere in that thread is a suggestion to post on any other cycling forums you belonged to, so I did.

toys19
    Free Member

Shame, I’ve often thought about these, hopefully the rrp or 2nd hand prices will come down and I can capitalise from the rest of your moral outrage. (Not that it isn’t well placed you understand, it’s just I’m scum)

wwaswas

patents up soon so there’ll be lots of copies along…

aracer
    Free Member

hopefully the rrp or 2nd hand prices will come down and I can capitalise from the rest of your moral outrage. (Not that it isn’t well placed you understand, it’s just I’m scum)

That’s alright – you getting some will devalue them still further 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think they might rethink their policy after that 😉

Oh dear I think I might have emailed myself the instructions – oops

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

WOW 😯 That company has some serious issues.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

it’s just I’m scum

Ooh! I’m scum too, so I might get some! 😀

What are they again?

teethgrinder

What a bunch of cock-knockers. Worse than Apple and Sony combined.

njee20
    Free Member

Wow, that is shocking. I wouldn’t buy them!

donsimon
    Free Member

In addition, a customer’s replacement and use of your non-conforming “after-market” parts would void the Speedplay warranty on its pedal system and your failure to advertise that fact causes your advertisement of your parts to be misleading in violation of numerous state and federal statutes.

Finally, we do not believe the evidence would show that you have sufficiently tested or constructed the replacement parts for safety and reliability such that consumers using the products would be safe. Customers using such replacement parts on their bicycles might assume they would be as safe as using OEM parts on a Speedplay pedal system and we do not believe this to be true. We have examined your parts and find that the screws that you sell (and perhaps manufacture) do not meet either manufacturing or safety requirements specified by Speedplay. You do not explain this deficiency or difference in your advertising of your product.

As a result, we believe your advertising not only to be misleading, but to be in violation of numerous state and federal consumer safety laws. Customers who were to purchase and use your replacement parts in Speedplay pedals, and then have their pedals damaged or worse, be injured, may make claims against or sue Speedplay, which would necessitate Speedplay defending those claims and seeking indemnity from you including its attorneys’ fees and costs.
    From the Speedplay letter.
    Surely if the seller complies with the requests and states that these are not original parts, that they will void the warranty and although they have been tested they haven’t been tested by Speedplay, then he will have less problems.
    Perhaps if the seller speaks to Speedplay there might be a solution.
    Two sides on every argument.

FOG

Eek! I have some on my road bike which I have been well pleased with but when I lost some cleat screws, I replaced them with non Speedplay parts from some hardware shop. Will I die? The main reason was that the originals are 3mm x 11mm which is an unheard of size compared to the common 3mmx 12mm. In fact I suspect, yes I do, that these were made this size just so Speedplay could indulge in the crap mentioned above.
    This is not an uncommon ploy. I was once replacing main bearings on a Suzuki and had to buy them in a Suzuki box for £40 when I could get virtually the same from a bearing factor for £6 because Suzuki had the bearings machined to make them unique.

donsimon
    Free Member

This is not an uncommon ploy. I was once replacing main bearings on a Suzuki and had to buy them in a Suzuki box for £40 when I could get virtually the same from a bearing factor for £6 because Suzuki had the bearings machined to make them unique.

Which is fair, no? The price of the original product is hammered down and profits are made from the aftersales.
    Was it Renault that introduced the torx or something?
    Didn’t Audi start putting ruddy great pieces of metal in the engine bay to prevent unauthorised garages working on them?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

But Suzuki don’t get in touch with ebay to have the listings removed if it sees it’s second hand pedals for sale.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t know what Suzuki do behind the scenes, but it appears they have developed a unique size that no-one reproduces, restricting your sourcing opportinities.
    Equally I don’t know what happened before Speedplay felt the need to write the letter and request the Ebay sales being pulled. What is clear is that if the seller clearly states that the product are not connected to Speedplay and that they will void the warranty, then there isn’t a problem. That’s how it appears to me.

sc-xc

That is the most [DELETED] thing I have ever seen…I can’t belive wjhat I am {depleted]

BIGMAN
    Free Member

personally i have had to send pedals back to uk disti twice. Once due to a big crash.

Both times fixed foc and returned in under a week…

I would buy again happily.

Hell i already own 2 sets!

iain1775
    Free Member

I wonder if contadors mechanic knew when he stripped the grease out and changed to ceramic bearings (according to bike radar article) that he could possibly kill his rider / drug cheat
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/tour-de-france-tech-thor-hushovds-yellow-cervelo-s5-30891

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Speedplay: a warning’ is closed to new replies.