Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Spider eyes helmet light ( bonkers content )
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

wouldn’t use on motor vehicles require some sort of certification or CE testing ?

Interesting…

(v) Headlamps – the regulations set minimum wattage requirements for dipped and main beam headlamps according to the cubic capacity of motorcycles. Headlamps on motorcycles are not required to have any approval markings, and
    (vi) As a general condition the regulations require riders to keep obligatory lamps and reflectors clean and in good working order.

From http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/additional/files/vehicle-type-approval/vehicle-type-approval-for-motorcycles/vca039.pdf

thepodge
    Free Member

I take that as a no then.

Luminous
    Free Member

That looks like a tidy piece of manual machining there Trout.

Good work.
    🙂

trout
    Free Member

RC200f8 loving the look of the light & the beam, how about some comparison shots with the Liberator as a bench mark?

OK here are some shots as a comparison .
    all on high beam

LIBERATOR (1700 lumens measured )

DX Bastid P7 ( 550 lumens measured )

Triple XML normal optics ( on paper lumens 2700 )

Little helmet light 2 XML ( on paper lumens 1800 )

Spider eyes monster light . ( on paper lumens 2700 )

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Trout. Would it be the case that the bulk of the work in one of your lights is in the assembly?

Would it make any sense to offer them in “kit” form with the same profit in it at a reduced price?

trout
    Free Member

Uphillcursing
    the largest cost is the housings getting them made in the UK in small quantities.
    and the build time is the time taker for sure .

I will send them as kits if requested but then the onus is on the builder to assemble in and solder correctly .I much prefer to build /test / send out and ship working lights though .

here is a laugh
    the spider eyes light was way too heavy for use on the lid so it got butchered to lose as much metal as possible it came out looking a bit disheveled but of a usable weight on the lid

chriswilk
    Free Member

Trout, nice.
    I’ll get you the triple/single XML measured lumens next week, been too busy doing real work this week.

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Chris. when I have finished playing around. I will send the aspheric light for you to
    test

big_scot_nanny

not adding a great deal to this thread except to say “WOW”, taht looks absolutely fabulous.

Those latest beam shots are superb and really give you a feel for just how good this is.

Magic.

plus, as others have said, what a brilliant looking thing!

Can I oder one please? (a whole one, not in bits unless you can put them togetehr with prit stik and packing tape)

Kev

dreednya

Looks amazing Chris, wondered what my Hope HID output would of looked like with 3 XMLs in?

Anyone wondered about the spate of grassland wildfires recently and Chris out testing the new light!

bruneep

Good lord! 😯

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

He’s taking you all for a mug. That last beam shot was taken in daylight with the sky photoshoped black. 😀 Seriously though they are some impressive lights you’ve got there.

dreednya

Out of interest Chris, what burn times are you getting on max power?

kaesae
    Free Member

Trout you are **** bonkers! I love it !!! 😀

wors

I want one of those little helmet lights!

ourmaninthenorth

I whispered about the Snake Eyes to my Lumi LED3 last night. It started to cry….

Xylene
    Free Member

Quirrel. the downside to mounting the light on the headtube is the dazzle from the cables flapping about in the beam

If the light unit is curved to fit a head tube, could you not have the cable coming out the side and battery mounted behind on frame.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Think he meant brake/gear cables

trout
    Free Member

run time on mental full from a 4 cell 7.4 volt smudge battery would be around 1 hour
    not yet had time to do runtime tests at the various power levels

I want to do a bit more testing and tweaking before getting together with my cnc pal for a few housings .
    I have just received 50 of the spider eye lenses so I guess there will be around 50 made sometime soon well ( well in time for the dark evenings .

May even do a limited few of better looking dual spider eyes for the registered blind mtber

If you want to annoy your fitter mates from far behind then drop me a mail requesting to be on the list for one of the 50 or a double spider-eyes

nicko74

Stupid question this, but what kind of price are you looking at for your ballpark 50 production run? Cause I’d bite your arm off for that…

trout
    Free Member

I have no idea at the moment depends on machining costs when I get them

what would your idea of a fair price for such a light be ( car salesman mode )

infidel
    Free Member

Just to clarify please:
    The beam shots, the bottom = the dual spider for the blind?
    The shot labelled little helmet light 2 XML – is this the single spider eye?

Ta!

wors

Put me on the provisional list for the little helmet light, as long as it’ll do a couple of hours. I’ll email you as well.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Crazy light!

Keep it going Mr T you genius mad engineer. I have visions of you going into your shed and as the door closes you the floor drops tens of storeys into a secret facility with Tesla Coils and other such things crackling in the background!

Mrs Ming may well be interested in one come winter time. Keep us updated as to progress.

lipseal
    Free Member

Interested just hope I can afford one.

robhughes
    Free Member

Count me in for one the spider eyes one chris.
    i,ll take one please to add to my trout collection. 😀

grtdkad

Fantastic lights Chris!
    I can’t help but think of one of those deep ocean, spacehopper eyed fish though! Barrelfish?

That would be megga with my Liberator!!!!

McHamish
    Free Member

Out of interest what would a driver of a car see if you looked directly at the car approaching from your left when you’re waiting to join a road at a t junction? Those lights look feltching bright!

fisha
    Free Member

Really interested in the double, have sent you an email.

Good effort chap.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Thread Hi-jack, sorry 😛

Troutie, you’re not the only one who’s been ‘beavering away’ since last winter! Yep, it’s me again but I’m back with the finished article ….your little bast’d 🙄

Before I bore you even more I just want to say those spider-eyes units are the dogs, the output/performance is staggering….and I thought my Lumi HID was impressive LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Toutie, the SUGRU was a massive success, from waterproofing plugs & sockets, insulating soldered wires, ‘forging’ mounting stubs and moulding bar switch housings. It’s SO easy to work with, yet easy to remove with a Stanley knife.

Here it all is then, your old unit re-vamped

The sugru-tastic bar switch

OOooowww, the running light

Beam shots, bit rubbish tbh.

I tried to position the main beam area 4/5metres away. The climbing frame is 37metres away and the garden is 42.

HID

Little Bast’d

Loved making it, dispite the huge time to do so… Well, thanks Troutie and BCT …..looking forward to upgrading the Lumi can to XML love 😈

trout
    Free Member

Nice one Love tubs
    wondered how you were getting on with it .

@ Infidel

That is correct bright shot Spider eyes
    little helmet light 2 xml = half spider I guess

It would appear a lot of you are registered blind as requests for a spider eyes are double requests for half spider .

Might have to rethink the housing situation with the cnc guy .

smudge
    Free Member

Not bad for a guy who said he was quiting building lights about a week ago! 😆

They do get better and better, have the nights started drawing in yet?

Keep up the good work MrT

stuey
    Free Member

Chris – how heavy is your spider light compared to your other XMLs?

trout
    Free Member

Stuey
    This one weighs in at 147 grams

infidel
    Free Member

would you put me down for the full spider please! email sent

stuey
    Free Member

<shonky eyes-poor bike skills>

If I ran such a bright helmet light – would it swamp my Trout MK1 and make me blind to trail drops – lose shadows ?

How much light are people really running?

</shonky eyes-poor bike skills>

dreednya

Definitely put me down for a half-spider, but maybe the full retina burner as my eyes are not what they used to be? Let me know when you have costings 🙂

rc200f8
    Free Member

Hi Chris, possably interested in a spider eyes light, what voltage battery is required?

Luminous
    Free Member

Trout.

Nice work there, good to see that you’ve got your light Mojo back 🙂

What camera settings are we using now for beam shots, please.

Cheers.
    🙂

nicko74

what would your idea of a fair price for such a light be ( car salesman mode )

er…. I have no frame of reference. Somewhere between £50 and £200?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Spider eyes helmet light ( bonkers content )’ is closed to new replies.