Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stans Crest with Nobby Nic UST problems
  • andyl46
    Free Member

I’ve been running tubeless for years on various combinations, normally NN USTs on Mavic 819 or stans Flow rims.

Got my Crest wheels yesterday, as soon as I put the UST tyres on, they seat pretty easily but then blow off the rim at 20PSI. Standard Nobbys seat with difficulty but are leaking like seives at the bead and through the sidewalls

Is anyone else having problems with Crest rims and Schwalbe UST tyres or is it just me?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

pedalhead
    Free Member

I heard that the latest Stans rims don’t play so well with UST beads. I think I read it on mtbr so accuracy could be in question.

andyl46
    Free Member

Its strange as the beads were tight to get on, so easily inflated as there were few airgaps, but it seems the hooks dont hold onto the bead and it blows off, with teh resulting temporary deafness. Not a happy bunny at the minute…

dickie
    Free Member

JRA told me I wouldn’t get UST tyres on Stans rims – not that I’d want too due to weight.
    In the past 2-3 years I’ve had 3 Schwalbe UST tyres blow off the rim – one during inflation at installation, one stood in sunlight at home, & one stood in sunlight halfway round Garburn Pass route in the Lakes.
    After the third I contacted Schwalbe – there was a mamufacturing fault with a batch in 2009 – they replaced all three.
    I now run NON UST Schwalbe on Crest’s with sealent – latest being Rocket Ron Performance – 500g a tyre & £35 a pair from On-One. Inflated easily & after a couple of rides stay solid.

TimCotic
    Free Member

You are NOT alone Andy – I read that the Crests were the latest and greatest and better than the 355s, but when they arrived, my tubeless tyes were so tight it was a real struggle to get ’em on. I sent the wheels back and got Justridingalong to put 355 rims on instead. The 355s are great.
    JRA told me that Crests were really intended for converting non-tubeless tyres to tubeless. The website never mentioned anything like that before I ordered them.
    When it comes down to it, superlight rims are nice, but I didn’t want to risk being stuck miles from home, knackered, dirty, and having a nightmare trying to wrestle a tyre onto a rim!

bobalong
    Free Member

Hi Andy,

I had similar issues too! I ended up buying some new tubeless ready Nobby nicks, they were easy to get on and the rim seat was perfect, but the sidewalls leaked like crazy. Lots of sealant later, theyre sealing perfectly.

Good luck.

andyl46
    Free Member

Standard Nobby’s and a load of sealant means I’m on the roll again. I dread any catastrophic punctures though, the beads were loose and took some furious track pumping to get the beads to seat!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of Stan’s rims was that you didn’t use UST with them. In fact I thought one was warned against it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest with Nobby Nic UST problems’ is closed to new replies.