Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Stans Flow rims and Maxxis tubeless help.
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m going tubeless for the first time. I have the ZTR Flow rim (yellow tape on) and Maxxis Ardent Tyres is it just a case of tyre on, sealant in, pull bead as close to edge as possible and pump?

Am I missing anything?

BadlyWiredDog

Pretty much, but a slightly slower, but slightly easier way is to mount the tyre with a tube then leave it for an hour or so, then remove one bead only, install the valve – sealant also unless you have removable valve cores – take some washing up liquid and whisk it up with a little water and brush it onto the rim/bead then pump. It means you only have to seat one bead, as the other one should be more or less already in place. Lots of soapy washing up liquid suds would be my tip whichever way you do it.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

That’s pretty much it. If the Maxxis are LUST, you won’t even need to pull the bead anywhere, if using a floor pump.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The Ardent’s won’t be lust, I’ll give it a go and try the fairy liquid. Do I just put it all around the remainding bead?

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve done that combo myself and it was startlingly easy. Lots of soap around the bead and rims, then inflate with a track pump to seat them.

Let them down again, then put the sealant in and re-inflate. The sealant isn’t to seat them, it’s to seal them so you shouldn’t put it in at first.

There are good instructions on the Stans site:

http://www.notubes.com/support_detailed.php

Don’t forget that the goo dries out after 2-3 months so you’ll need to put more in.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Fitted an ardent to my 29er arch rim. Didn’t need to bother with soap suds, just went straight up with a track pump. Bit of sealant in and sealed instantly P.O.P

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to trying now. It’s sounds pretty simple but a pain if it won’t seat.

Cheers guys

thwapy
    Free Member

I struggled to get mine seated with a floor pump at first then found that using neat washing up liquid rather than soapy water worked a treat. Seated first time after that with the valve core removed.

Not trying to ‘jack’ the tread but do you really need to replace the fluid every 2-3 months?

honourablegeorge

Second that – neat washing up liquid right the way around the bead, it’s thick enough to plug a gap just long enough to seat the tyre.

I found it helped to push down the tyre at the valve stem with my hand too.

poppa
    Free Member

1. Leave tyre inflated with tube in overnight
    2. Remove valve cores for initial inflation (better airflow)
    3. Use washing up liquid solution for initial inflation, and if you have any trouble ‘getting it up’, then use neat washing up liquid
    4. Compress the tyre around the valve lightly when inflating, as this is where air most often escapes from

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

When you say remove the valve core which bit do you mean?

poppa
    Free Member

Stan’s rim strips let you unscrew the middle bit of the valve, leaving a hole big enough to syringe sealant into.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah the silver bit at the top of the stem? How do I get it off though? I’ve tried unscrewing it but it won’t budge.

poppa
    Free Member

Ideal tool is needle-nosed pliers, or else you can bodge it off with something else. If you do that, don’t be surprised if it breaks!

toons
    Free Member

If you’re having trouble with the tape\valve, I’ve got a rim strip for sale 🙂

doof_doof
    Free Member

My 2.25 Ardents needed seating with a tube for them to go up with just yellow tape & floor pump.
    Ended up ditching the tyres as they tend to disappear from under you with no warning at a certain cornering angle. 2.25 UST RR’s are much better in all situations.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve not tried yet waiting on the Ardents. Just preparing because I’ve never tried before.

Shackleton

The black widget on the left of this photo is the ideal core remover for presta valves. You can see a neatly dismantled valve on the right too!

I found washing up liquid to be more hastle than it’s worth, especially with wire beads. Haven’t needed it with any Maxxis folder I’ve set up tubeless so far.

therealhoops
    Free Member

[fellow tubeless virgin pulls up a chair and awaits outcome]

poppa
    Free Member

I found washing up liquid to be more hastle than it’s worth, especially with wire beads. Haven’t needed it with any Maxxis folder I’ve set up tubeless so far.

Count yourself lucky then!

carbon337
    Free Member

toons – you have no shame

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

do you really need to replace the fluid every 2-3 months?

Yes, I’ve left mine too long (circa 6 months) and only took a look because the front (single ply ST minnion) had started to loose pressure over time. Inside was dry!
    Popped a bead off and refilled; reinflated straight off with track pump; done the wiggle/lay flat bit; sorted.

The rear one still had liquid in but it had separated into clear fluid and a nice latex spikey ball. I’d worn the tyre out on a single filling so was replacing.
    Getting lazy now and just inflated dry with track pump (UST ADvantage); first time – no problem; popped a bead off to add Stans goo; reinflated; wiggled; lay flat; wiggled; lay flat other side; sorted. Ride.

Flows and Maxxis – no problem at all. I’m not going back to tubes.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m hoping the ardents will be instock soon, then I’m just going to try. I watched a video that just put the tyre on both beads in, left a bit open, poured in the sealant, tyre levered the bead and pumped! Worked first time.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

I remove the valve core before inflating, I reckon you can get the air in quicker with the track pump, get it to pop onto the bead then remove pump, tyre deflates, inject Stan’s with big syringe then refit valve and reinflate. Done (slaps hand Gordon Ramsey style).

thwapy
    Free Member

You think I would read the back of the pack eh! It does say replace fluid every 2-7 months.

Just done my new back wheel, stans flow with a folding crossmax (non UST) with out any bother.

As has already been said above:

1.Put yellow tape on REALLY tightly, pull like mad and leave a good 75mm lap over.
    2.Leave a tube in over night.
    3.Take out the tube and be careful to leave one bead on.
    4.Put the presta valve in with core removed.
    5.Replace the bead and rub neat washing up liquid on the bead side you removed.
    6.Stick a track pump on and go mental while holding the middle of the tire in a bit with your thumb where the valve is.
    7.Should hear a pop as the bead seats.
    8.Remove a wee bit of bead and put in fluid.
    9.Replace bead, pump it up and shake while turning.
    10.Lay flat on worse leaking side for a while, shake a bit more and put back on worse side for a while.
    11.Grin and put on bike.

To be honest before I read about the neat washing up liquid on here I was getting a tad annoyed and frustrated but that’s the trick!

Good Luck

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Stans Flow rims and Maxxis tubeless help.’ is closed to new replies.