Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stans notubes solutions solidifying in a big lump?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I've used Stans no tubes before and when I finally punctured after a year (and no top ups) and needed to get the tyre off, there was a big rubber/latex lump in my tyre.

Got some more of the stuff waiting to be used….

I know its supposed to last longer in cooler conditions but will it also last longer if I ride more regularly i.e. the solution is getting agitated more often and doesn't have chance to settle and set into a big lump as it would if I didn't ride for 3 months and the bike just sat there in my shed?

RealMan
    Free Member

If you didnt ride it for 3 months thats probably why it solidified.

Looks like youre going to have to ride more. Dam.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Had that happen to me a while ago, riding minimum twice a week. A solid lump of sealant in the rear tyre made for a very bumpy ride, as the lump acted like an eccentric weight on the wheel.

Happened about three months after installing the tyre on stans system.

stoney
    Free Member

What andypaice said!!!!! Have been running tubless since the bike was built (roughly 4 months now) and ridden a minimum of twice a week. I hit a drain gully quite hard and the tyre receved a SMALL hole which did not seal at all. So when i went to put a tube in i found a solid lump of Stans fluid had formed like a lump of coral!

Not yet convinced about tubeless!

pitduck
    Free Member

try a spoonful of cheap antifreeze. 🙂

imp999
    Free Member

I had a ball of solid sealant rolling around in one of my tyres and wondered if it was bought on by my use of CO2 to inflate it when I did the tubeless conversion.
    By the way – I was using JRA wheel milk.

I now let a lot of the "air" out of my seated tyre and re inflate several times to purge the CO2 from the tyre. Or use my mate's compressor.

DezB
    Free Member

Stans is cheap and good for a short period. You have to change it regularly, which makes it a bit crap.
    If you want something that works and doesn't dry out you have to spend a bit more – Geax Tubeless Therapy or Hutchinson Protect Air don't dry out, but they do cost a bit more.

FuzzyWuzzy

My Stans was still very runny (apart from where it had sealed around the bead) when I replaced a tyre after 3 months. The JRA stuff is supposed to dry out faster.

tinsy
    Free Member

Do a search for homemade tyre sealants, lots of recipies out there and you can tune the mix for either long life or sealing massive holes.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It was a hypothetical "if I didn't ride for 3 months". I was probably riding once or twice a week and there was still some liquid when I went to top it up, along with a 'lump of coral' like stoney. But riding more still sounds like a plan 🙂

I did buy a bottle of JRA wheel milk but it solidified in the bottle before I'd even opened it.

I suppose stuff that doesn't dry out won't seal a puncture hole so well because it won't solidify when it comes into the air as it squirts out the puncture hole?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found the JRA stuff partialy dried out leaving a thin film of latex over the inside of the tire, which helped it seal holes. The downside being that the weight went up bu 50g every couple of months as the stuff needs topping up!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

50g huh?

I was curious about the genuine weight of dried latex from an 80ml dose. I took the time to peel off and collect the film and weighed it (it was a slow day).

It weighed 16g.

I have a two year old bottle of wheel milk that is still liquid

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stans notubes solutions solidifying in a big lump?’ is closed to new replies.