Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sticky Avid Gear Levers
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Sticky in that they dont return quickly to their resting position after releasing the brakes. Juicy 5s. I've bleed them pretty thoroughly and the braking is fine, they just dont feel right.

I've cleaned out the lever unit including the barrel that acts as the pivot for the lever itself and everything looks ok. Plenty of pad left, the spring is sound and there is no rubbing on the disc.

I guess the issue might be at the point where the piston (?) in the lever forces the fluid through the hose, it feels like there isnt enough force pushing it back into place or there is too much resistance somewhere. But what creates that force? Is it hydraulic pressure, does the pad spring help at all?

cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

a rare STW post with no reply…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had same problem on 3's two week ago, it's the seals in the levers apparently. Got both replaced under warranty as it's not really a worthwhile fix according to the lbs. See my previous post re juicy 3's if you really want the full low down. Hope this helps, oh and the lack of replies may be due to your post title
    !! 🙂

MrOvershoot

I think the title might be confusing some 😉

Seen this before on Avid J5's ended up doing a complete lever rebuild as the seals had swollen causing the lever to stay 1/2 way in.

IMO the build quality of some Avids is terrible.

beat me by 3 second wrighty

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mr overshoot. "so close" 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

As above, sticky piston in the lever, repaired one yesterday for a customer.Cause- either poor quality control, or maybe careless application of lube on pivots reacting with the seals and causing them to swell.

MrOvershoot

coatesy – Member

As above, sticky piston in the lever, repaired one yesterday for a customer.Cause- either poor quality control, or maybe careless application of lube on pivots reacting with the seals and causing them to swell.

Yes I have seen a few sets where the owners have been busy with the GT85 in the lever area which swells the seals.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

We've had a few of these come through the workshop. I upgrade the springs in the lever by replacing with a longer version. Works a treat every time.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks everyone (note to self, do not use "sticky" in titles!)

They're still under warranty so I'll return them to the LBS. Couldnt swear I havent been near them with GT85 mind you? BTW – what else should be kept away from GT85, other than the really obvious (rotors, pads etc)

cheers

Stevie-P
    Free Member

what else should be kept away from GT85

Cake!

coatesy
    Free Member

Anything that relies on grease for lubrication i.e. BB or headset, as it will penetrate the seals and break the grease down.

MrOvershoot

agentdagnamit – Member

thanks everyone (note to self, do not use "sticky" in titles!)

They're still under warranty so I'll return them to the LBS. Couldnt swear I havent been near them with GT85 mind you? BTW – what else should be kept away from GT85, other than the really obvious (rotors, pads etc)

cheers
    Its not the Sticky in your title you asked about Avid "gear" levers

Stevie P has the answer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sticky Avid Gear Levers’ is closed to new replies.