Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • STOLEN BIKE IN READING
  • speedysarah
    Free Member

Hello,

I’m new to all of this mountain biking malarkey but I bought a new bike last week and was very enthusiastic about it all. Monday night thiefs broke into my shed in Tilehurst and freed my beloved baby bike with bolt cutters. I am checking Ebay and Gumtree regularly but if anyone spots anything similar to my desrciption please let me know!
    It was a Carrera Vengeance 2011 Ltd Edition.
    Black frame with Carrera written in white on it
    White wheels with Carrera written in red on them
    Front suspension
    Brake discs
    No mud protectors
    Black bell
    24 gears
    Black grips
    Reflector on front but not at back
    It is a mens mountain bike but I replaced the original mens white seat with a black ladies gel seat.

Thank you! From sad bikeless sarah

RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t want to sound too paranoid, but having a bike nicked from your shed a week after buying it, could point to one of the people who sold it to you have something to do with it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’ll be worth pokeing your nose into all the cash converters type shops in the town centre every so often, there are usualy a lot of suspect looking bikes in there (and the ones leaned up outside by the clinentel are even more suspect!).

cookeaa

I’d have a wander round the Norcott road area if I was you, a high concertration of Scrotes round that way…

speedysarah
    Free Member

Thanks guys…..

I have already spoken to the manager of the shop i bought it from because i thought it was a bit suspect too but no joy.
    I have called cash converters and they apparently don’t accept bikes any more for that very reason but I sent a description of my bike to another similar place in town.
    As for the Norcot Road…I would have to mentally build up to it 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

Most household insurance companies cover bikes up to £500 without special cover, so you might be able to get your money back…particulary as you’ll have all the receipts seeing as you bought it last week.

zbonty

Bad news.

Second hand shop on smelly alley in town is worth checking. Lots of bikes, broken down into parts in there…

Dodgeville!

speedysarah
    Free Member

Oh…I didn’t know there was a second hand shop in smelly alley…I shall contact them.
    Unfortunately my contents insurance only covers up to £250 with a £75. bad times!

I think I will go for a secondhand bike myself when i get tha tmoney back. If it is less shiny, it m,ay be a little less attractive to the scrotes!

cookeaa

Don’t want to sound too paranoid, but having a bike nicked from your shed a week after buying it, could point to one of the people who sold it to you have something to do with it.

more likely the area she bought it in; I’m guessing shes in upper tilehurst (The nice bit) and bought her Carrera from the Halfords on Oxford road just past the roundabout with Portman road…

Odds are she was spotted on a shiney new bike as she pedaled home and trailed, somwhere along Oxford road, possibly near the bottom of Overdown Road?

If your lucky it’s being used as a Chav transporter, if your unlucky it’s already been converted to Cash, Booze, Drugs or a Scooter (they do like a scooter) or a mini moto (they really like a mini moto)…

If you do venture to Norcot take a PCSO, not for protection, they’re more likely to beat them up first giving you escape time

speedysarah
    Free Member

hmmmm….

I’m not feeling particularly positive about things now. Perhaps I shall give in and buy a mini moto

cookeaa

They’ll steal that too…

Best bet is to move further out of Reading; Purley, Pangbourne, maybe over the River to Caversham?

Will your insurance cover the loss?

speedysarah
    Free Member

Ironically because I hadn’t taken the bike out I actually phoned my insurers on Tuesday to change my insurance to cover the full amount and reduce the excess. The same day I also phoned Halfords because I couldn’t locate the serial number and they told me Carreras didn’t have one.
    I did all this not knowing until I got home from work that my bike had already been nicked on Monday night.

Love it!

cookeaa

Hmmm, could be a tricky phone call to the insurance people then….

My advice, get the replacement from the Halfords across town (seems to have slightly better staff) and consider a boardman while your at it.. Then invest in locks, Ground anchors, Razor wire, and CCTV…

5AM
    Free Member

Keeping my eyes peeled for you Sarah, and don’t forget I’m only around the corner if you need me.

We’ll get you back on the trails somehow never fear.

speedysarah
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice! once I get my insurance money I shall be back on here to ask what’s best to buy!

Perhaps I should just get roller skates!

Cheers 5AM…see…I’m following your advice! Did you get my email about the police press release?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN BIKE IN READING’ is closed to new replies.