Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • STRATHPUFFER ADVICE: DIY advice for a how-do-I-stop-my-camelbak-freezing bodge?
  • jimmers
    Free Member

I could buy a special ice proof version but that would cost money.

Any tips on making my bladder survive the Highlands? Went for a night ride last night here in sunny Southampton and it froze in 5 mins.

StirlingCrispin

Blow back up the tube…

Jamie
    Free Member

I would just pay, at least you know your sorted.

crazy-legs

Cover it in bubblewrap.
    Seriously!

jimmers
    Free Member

Pop some anti-freeze in there?

You mean Gordons gin mixed with Tequila?

IA

As above, blow the water back up the tube after each drink, then it's all in the bladder and warmed by your back.

Gin and a slice of lemon would probably work too 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

Run the tube under your arm instead of over your shoulder. Blow back. But the first time you forget, it'll freeze.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

wrap an old tube/ thick cloth around the tube, havent tried bubble wrap, it would be more aesthetically pleasing though, i would try that!

thought about putting a rod in my water bottle to keep it from freezing, but il just keep drinking until it freezes, then change bottle each lap.

brant
    Free Member

Blowback, no insulation on the tube, but wear it inside your jacket.

Blowback keeps the tube clear.

No insulation means that the heat of your body will keep the tube warm and stop it freezing.

Worked down to -40C for me.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Once you've blown back after drinking you need to make sure the bite valve doesn't ice up either. So give it a suck every 5 minutes or so!

br
    Free Member

trouble with blow back is the the bladder gets bigger…

shaggy

what Brant said, and run it under your arm rather than over youe shoulder.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘STRATHPUFFER ADVICE: DIY advice for a how-do-I-stop-my-camelbak-freezing bodge?’ is closed to new replies.