Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Studded snow tyres (home made)
  • lovewookie

After sliding about in the snow and sheet ice on my regular scoot I remembered back to the days of yore and a magazine article mentioning making ice tyres.

So, a rummage in the shed and I'd found two very old tyres and a trip to B&Q got me 200 12mm screws.

An hour or so one evening and viola:

Bimmin links don't work for fotopic now.

about 75 screws in the front and about 40 or so in the rear. The front tyre is an old chen shin cheapo Farmer Johns a-like and the rear is a Marin lite.

The inside of the tyres are protected using gaffa tape to stop pinch punctures.

First go was pretty damn great. railing corners on slick ice no problems. The lack of studs on the rear was not much of an issue, but if I was doing it again i'd stick more in there.

out for a proper hour and a bit run without problems too, they are great, until I inspected them after the ride. I found taht the front tyre was far too old and had torn at the bead where it's perished, oops. The rear had pinch flatted in about 4 locations where the screws had flexed.

To overcome these I'd advise anyone who will try it to make sure.

1. the tyres aren't perished!
    2.the tyres are either blocky, or have sufficient tread to support the screws from flexing. I think something like Conti vapour/gravity would be good, with studs in teh centre of a few of the blocks.
    3. two layers of gaffa tape.
    4. don't run under 40psi, otherwise the screws will flex and pinch the tube.

Othewise, blimmin great.

After an hours use

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Didn't the mag advise using nuts and bolts?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good show that man – they look lethal!

lovewookie

Nuts and bolts. don't know, it was about 15 years ago.

single threaded screws seemed to have enough bite into the tread to hold.

You really don't want to fit them without gardening gloves on! I've got gouges out of my fingers.

lovewookie

using screws meas that they're not that bad on tarmac either, as in they'll not cause you to slide too much.

I was very very surprised how grippy they were. Most of the lanes are sheet ice, these just bit in enough for em to get up a bit of speed in the corners, then I got the fear as I kept on thinking what I would break if I landed on the ice at speed….

The Marin lite tyres I used as a rear just didn't have deep enough tread to support the screws so they flexed meaning the screwheads pinched the tube. If this ice doesn't cease I'll be on the lookout for an old set of cheap tyres to try Mk2.

🙂

Ambrose

Nice one.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I think the article I remember from years back used a fairly narrow slick tyre, with the bead cut off, to protect the tube from the screws.

I think it was used for riding down the Cresta Run.

Matt

lovewookie

suppose those slime tyre liners would do the trick too.

twang
    Free Member

…this I LOVE!!!
    (where did I put them crappy MK's?)

takisawa2

Fantastic.
    Wish I hadn't binned them old tyres now.

kinda666
    Free Member

Might have a go with my old cinders tomorrow!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Two mates of mine did this on proper DH tyres, fitted them to their DH bikes and pushed them up to the middle of the ski station last year, then hooned back down to the resort. They said it was a giggle (and surprisingly effective) but utterly terrifying as the steepness of the slope meant moving your ar$e a long way back and getting very close to the spinning carnage behind you…

PePPeR

The ones I've seen done are screwed in from the other way, then smoothed down with a dremel, it makes hitting the centres of the knobbles easier and still give you the decent grip you require.

Sam

The articles I've seen before recommend trimming the screws down almost flush with the rubber. Check out Nokian tyres, there's not really a lot of metal sticking outside the tyre. With more snow predicted I'm thinking of doing a pair myself…

allankelly

I got Schwalbe Snow Studs. They only have outer studs, but they do work. As said above ,you only need itty little spikes not more than 1mm.

On sheet ice they're only useful at low pressures though – you need centre spikes at higher pressures. The Conti Spike Claw 240s are the ones recommended by folks on here with £100 spare…

My tyres & some snowy ride pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allankelly/sets/72157622937828481/

Cheers, al.

nasher
    Free Member

Is it north worth using the plastic "anti puncture" strip you can get to sandwich between the tube and tyre?

I think halfords sell them…

ssboggy

What about doing it to tubeless?? Just a thought, no tube to pinch with the screw heads and the sealant should take care of the holes, also could be run at lower pressures

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Owwww…they look interesting. I've found my Mountain King 2.4's spot on in the snow and ice – even a bit too grippy in the snow (giving a lot of drag).

MrAgreeable

Inspired by this thread, here's my take on the home-made snow tyre.

Donor tyre was 2007's must-have wheelband, a Kenda Blue Groove. I've screwed from the inside out (oo-er) and cut down the screws using a cable cutter, then tidied the ends up with a dremel. By way of reinforcement I've added a blob of superglue to the end of each screw as I put it in, and a double layer of gaffer tape on the inside.

So far it's had a quick test ride which didn't actually involve very much ice, looking forward to giving it a proper try later this week.

lovewookie

Excellent.

I've just ordered a set of new exceedingly cheap tyres (some Michelin thingamy's) that should do the trick, so should have a set of fully functional ice tyres Mk2 by the weekend.

🙂

Wally

I'm off to the garage now!, but whilst I have a brew..Questions
    Google has revealed Robertson screw heads have a puncture resistant head.
    Most screw from in to out and trim spikes, others use short bolts in to out and some even just screw a sheet metal screw in from the outside and use the screw head as the contact point.

I guess this is the delight of bodge it and co, there is no one way. Might go and see if I can find any of the Robertson headed screws at the local DIY.

Any suggestions?

Waderider
    Free Member

I made a pair last week and have done about 80km so far with no issues. They're pretty brilliant, even if I do say so myself.

Front tyre, about 150 1/2" No6 sheet metal screws, back tyre about 80 of the same. Screwed them from outside in through a tread block first, then removed them, and reinserted then sharp end out through the perforation.

I don't see the point in cutting the protruding point down. They'll wear with use, and replacing them once worn is tedious work. I put up with the rolling resistance.

Lined with an old pair of Continental Avenue slicks with the bead cut off.

Suggsey
    Free Member

How about using a pop riveter instead of screws with some small rivets?

crazy-legs

My LBS has some of those Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres in, he's had them lying around for years but has brought them out again given the current conditions. £40 the pair for 700 x 38c cyclocross ones. I was very tempted…

mamadirt
    Free Member

They said it was a giggle (and surprisingly effective) but utterly terrifying as the steepness of the slope meant moving your ar$e a long way back and getting very close to the spinning carnage behind you…

Reminds me of an article in MBUK a couple of years ago when Rob Jarman (I think) did similar and ended up with ripped shorts (amongst other things . . . ouch!!).

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Cool post lads, going to give it a go tomorrow with an old pair of conti explorers 😉

MicArms

Crazy legs, which LBS is that mate?

lovewookie

Waderider, excellent job. Wearing down the points with use was my theory too. The ice is pretty thick up here so there's no problem with the extra bits sticking out.

Think I may drill through the tyre with a thin drill bit to use as a guide hole before trying to guess where to stick the screws for the next pair.

Still think a couple of layers of gaffer will be enough to stop the screws from pinching the tyre, though I'm looking in the shed for other bits to use too…so far I'm eyeing up the big strips of helicopter tape…

Wally

Decathlon 2 tyres £7.50 michelin trail 1.95
    puncture resistant plastic tape £8.50
    400 6*12mm screws £3.50
    contact glue£4
    will post up results tomorrow.
    Really tried hard to keep it cheap.

MrAgreeable

Tested in the woods yesterday and it seems to work! There were another few inches of snow here last night, hope they hold together for a few more days!

Waderider, those look like they would do you some serious damage if you took a fall… 😐

Waderider
    Free Member

But I won't fall, I have full length man studs……not going to die with a 1/4 inch deep wound anyhow! Head injury from lack of grip would be more likely I'd say……off out again, this time with a studless pal. Shall be an interesting comparison, though I think I'll lead him clear of the areas that I know are actually icy rather than just snowy. Studs are for ice or old hard snow, plain tyres work well in the softer stuff.

Wally

Ingredients ready

mlke
    Free Member

Is it possible to use small screws from out side into large nobbles without anything protruding far enough to pop the inner tube?

ton

i did this to my wheels, and it is very very good

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i pumped my tire up to 45psi…then the little rubber things press into the snow and work well…has a lack of grip on frozen water tho…

Wally

risky I would have thought. Here is my attempt so far.

I will clip the closest couple a little more too.

mrchrispy

pulls up chair and gets out notepad

ton

just 1 thing………..
    to ride uphill on ice or compressed snow you need grip in the center.
    rubber alone does not work.
    put a line in the center.

coastkid
    Free Member

my friends pair of studded endomorphs..time to get serious!

warton
    Free Member

could you use gaffer tape as tube protection?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Studded snow tyres (home made)’ is closed to new replies.