Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • STW Howgills ride, Sunday May 31st – Interested ??
  • lowey

Following the last few STW rides we have done (and bloody brilliant they were too) we are sorting the next one out for the classic Howgill’s loop.

Meet in Sedbergh for 9.30 look to be riding for 10am. RELAXED pace, plenty of chatting, plenty of stops. From memory I think the route is about 26 miles or so with a reasonable amount of climbing involved.

OK I know its 4 and a bit weeks off, but as its getting into (hopefully) summer, I thought I’d post it early so people can sort out day passes etc.

So who’s interested ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

count me in looks a monster climb from the road

matt_outandabout

Its a great route – enjoy!

yoshimi

Yep, I’m in!

DeeJay
    Free Member

yoshimi

Yep, I’m in!

Are you sure – no housework to do? or your hair? mebbe some knitting? 🙄

Vortexracing

I’m in.

with probably 4 others.

and I even have permission

hp_source

I should be around for this, should be great if yesterday was owt to go by 8)

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Yeah i’m up for it, thinking of camping as its quite far for me. Anyone else thinking of camping nearby to sedbergh?

ton

i’m not coming, i hate you all, speshially junkyard, cos he allus takes the piss…………………….. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Anyone else thinking of camping it up nearby to sedbergh?

yeah, why not? they’re very tolerant round there…

D0NK

Monster isnt the word Junkyard, stupidly steep at the start and goes on forever (possibly)
    Not trying to put anyone off like, once you’re up top its a long long looooong downhill.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sod you then I am going to go for a walk with SFB instead of walking uphill with you then

Right then so worse than Belmont ascent in the wind …defo bringing my walking shoes

the picture link of loweys mate at the top as encouragement
    http://www.dave-lowe.fotopic.net/p53864055.html

marsdenman
    Free Member

walking uphill

now, if that’s allowed I’ll see if I can get a pass out…… 😀

Chris
    Single Track World Walkers Group….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Count me in!

ton

**** it, i have had a change of mind………………

count me in……. 8)

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm could be tempted! Did I miss where it says what the route is?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Am I allowed to attend or will someone chuck their teddy ?

PS yes it’s a hard climb, but when you get to the top you realise it was more than worth the effort just for the view, never mind the longest section of non trail centre singletrack in the north ahead :o)

ton

barnes, you can come, but if yer step out of line you will get it…..big time…… 😉

Vortexracing

If Ton is going then that photo of my Grey 15″ X5 against his grey 29er would make an amusing photo.

and just one point Lowey, it’s not the pace that kills me it’s the bloody climbing!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but if yer step out of line you will get it…..big time

promises, promises big boy :o)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Did I miss where it says what the route is?

if you click on one of my pics above and then ‘route’ you can see the map. Sedbergh, Winder, Arant Haw, Calders, Calf, Bowderdale, Ravenstonedale, Adamthwaite, Murthwaite, Narthwaite, Cautley, Sedbergh.

lowey

the picture link of loweys mate at the top as encouragement

Lol…. that was Toss, however, it was only at the half way stage of the climb!!

Joking apart, yes it is a bit of a climb to start the day, however the views provide ample excuses for frequent stops.

It really is a cracking route.

grumm
    Free Member

How relaxed is the pace going to be? I reckon it would probably take me about 5-6 hours to do that including rests, photo and lunch stops etc (yes I am slow!)

ton

bit of a climb……….ppppfffff pmslraotf………. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Only ever done that bit between Bram Rigg and Winder as a dh – this route had better be good to justify doing that bit the wrong way round cos its an amazing downhill.

ton

bowderdale is among the top descents in the country.
    singletrackaliscious 8)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ll be there..

Should be another great walk ride..

Lets hope the weather is the same as yesterday..

marsdenman
    Free Member

YOIKS
    just looked at SFB’s route map – his piccies make it look like a long but steady climb, the type I eat for that eat me for breakfast ……
    the profile diagram says otherwise…..

all I can say Ton is that’s one heck of a sprout portion 😯 can only hope it’s more sherry than trifle for the downhill 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We’ll be fine at the back Chris.. 😆

Just don’t forget yer jelly babies…

marsdenman
    Free Member

We’ll be fine at the back Chris

to right we will – tis a very responsible job, making sure no one is left behind 😆

Don’t forget to drop me a line if you fancy an STWalkers paced ride around these parts / pint in t’Riverhead.. 😀 infact I have to confirm the one for this Saurday, when I last posted there was interest from half a dozen or so….

stucowp
    Free Member

Home sweet home!!! Hills forever more you can count me in for this one, Might even have a lighter hill climbing machine by then!!!!!

DeeJay
    Free Member

Might even have a lighter hill climbing machine by then!!!!!

Oh b*gger – he will do the whole climb in big ring – mind you he might puncture – or break his chain – hehe

trout
    Free Member

Yep You can count Garry and me in also I might even try the last climb 😳

Did it years ago in the fog so it would be nice to see the views .

ton

stucowp
    hijack, email me if you fancy riding this wednesday mate…..

elliptic
    Free Member

Bit rude suggesting this now, seeing as I just rode it on my own on Saturday… 🙄

… still, it’s good enough for a repeat showing, I’ll consult the diary supervisor…

toss
    Free Member

Count me in! Cheers for reminding me about that fookin climb, Junkyard and platering that pic of my arse all over the place 😉

Well worth it though on the other side… Awesome.

T

Junkyard
    Free Member

Grumm we go at the speed of the slowest rider (or we wait for them) and you will have lots of company pushing up I promise.

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

Are there any details on the route hidden in the website or do I need to scan through my back issues of singletrack?

Certainly a great area so am interested if I can get my passport sorted for a border crossing!

Junkyard
    Free Member

sfb /boggies route here
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe.php?route=44
    Assuming Loweys route will be the same similiar etc

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

There are 3 ways from Bowderdale Farm to Weasdale, so that bit might be different

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘STW Howgills ride, Sunday May 31st – Interested ??’ is closed to new replies.