Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • STW London ride #2/2010
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Following on from today's great ride I propose ride #2/2010 as 'West to east via South' following the capital ring walk, starting in the West (somewhere close to where we finished today? – how about Hanwell station?) and heading east to Woolwich (so downhill, just!) distance would be just over 60k. The route is a mix of quiet suburban streets, parks and othe green spaces. In fact it ties together a surprising amount of green space so bikes without mud guards are best, but cross bikes would work fine. I'll be on the single speed again so it won't be a racey pace, but a steady 15k is easily achieved. So 5 hours with faffage allowance.

date – I propose the wekend after the swinley singleton ride, so..oh hang on…that's Valentine's, is that awkward?

Neil

aP
    Free Member

Sounds good. I'd quietly suggest starting somewhere nearer the river than Hanwell the it has the added double whammy of river2river.

brooess
    Free Member

would be interested.

Hammo
    Free Member

I think that would be pretty nice.
    Train to W/London, ride east, ride home, excellent.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Andy – yeah I thought that, Richmond bridge was my choice originally. I changed to Hanwell to even up the two legs. However there's only a few K in it. Okay, back to original plan, Richmond bridge start, Woolwhich ferry southern pier end point, distance is about 55k that way. It leaves a ride of about 67K for the return leg, East to West via North.

You can check the route out here http://www.walklondon.org.uk/route.asp?R=1 Basically Richmond park, wimbledon common, wimbledon park, Wandsworth, the prison (Rudeboy, anyone you want to visit? 😉 )Balham, stretham, stretham common, Norwood and a bit of very old woodland, Crystal palace, Beckenham park, eltham palace (nice), eltham park, oxleas wood, oakwood, eltham common, woolwhich common and on to the ferry pier. A surpriseing amount of green space for a city.

Hammo – good for you a pig for me….I'll end up riding the route twice by the time I ride to the start and ride home (Upper norwood, bang in the middle!) 😮

psychle
    Free Member

I'll be up for it… again, as long as it coincides with a weekend off. I know where Richmond Bridge is now (and how long it'll take me to ride to from home 😳 😆 )

mattp
    Free Member

hi fellahs – can i come along? this will be a first for me so would appreciate any advice on what to bring with. i live in reading so would be coming in by car if any one wants a lift in from "way out west". any ideas yet which day are you thinking of sat or sun?

neilnevill
    Free Member

mattp – of course you're welcome, everyone is. Just brng your usual kit – bike, camelbak with soe water, a spare tube, a pump, a multi tool, a bag of haribo tangfastics and a few quid for a beer and the train back to you're car.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm up for this, though have some coursework in around that time so will have to assess as and when… sounds good though!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In fact it ties together a surprising amount of green space so bikes without mud guards are best,

🙁

I'm sorry…..

pinches
    Free Member

i might be in this time! (house moved, bike built)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Sorry peter, not meant as a poke. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy the whole ride this time.

nicko74

Will there be any single women along, or will they all have been snapped up on the singletons ride the weekend before?! 😉

I'm in, if I'm free. Plus a biking buddy is keen to go out riding that weekend, so I'll see if I can get him along for some flatter/ more tarmaced riding than he intended…

mattp
    Free Member

so – mrs mattp is getting on my case to tell her when this is going to happen so that she can invite "the girls" round. any further thoughts on if this trip is going to be saturday or sunday yet?

Jimbo
    Free Member

mattp – of course you're welcome, everyone is. Just brng your usual kit – bike, camelbak with soe water…a bag of haribo tangfastics…

In London?! You're never that far away from a shop!

manitou
    Free Member

ooh might have to come along!

neilnevill
    Free Member

right, executive decision, Sunday, 10am at Richmond bridge.

neilnevill
    Free Member

So is valentine's a suitable date or am I doing it on my own. In fact, if tomorrow night's date goes well I may wish to do it on another day myself. Hmm is there a 'finger's crossed' emoticon?

neilnevill
    Free Member

so. am I riding on my own on Sunday? (yeah yeah… the date was nothing special)

cassin
    Free Member

Count me in on the next ride, I can't make this one due too it being the 14th ! Darn….

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well it looks like this won't in convenince anyone but I AM GOING TO HAVE TO CANCEL. Sorry. I smacked my knee on the climbing wall last night and it is quite stiff and sore this morning so I don't want to ride on it tomorrow. Should be fine for a ride in a few weeks, so I'll suggest another date soon. Sorry again.

manitou
    Free Member

thats handy.. i couldnt make it this sunday… look forward to the new date

neilnevill
    Free Member

It's taken a while to get back to this. but how about next sunday? the 21st. Any takers?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘STW London ride #2/2010’ is closed to new replies.