Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • STW Northern Chapter Ride – 6th Dec – Marsden/Saddleworth
  • hp_source

OK, I thought I'd start off this thread now so it leaves plenty time for people get their day passes stamped, & before Xmas shopping gets pencilled in for that day.

Usual winter rules apply, car park HERE 9ish, for 9:30 start. Follow signs in Marsden for the station, then entrance to the car park is up a little cobbled street opposite The Railway pub.

The route as it stands is roughly 23miles, pretty up and down, but steady pace as always. Trying to sort out a mid ride cafe/refreshments stop at the moment.

Post ride banter in the legendary Riverhead Tap I guess if we need warming up.

So… who's in?

dthom3uk

Sounds good, I will apply for my pass out now.

chipps

How come that the minute there's a northern gathering, I'm already booked in for a southern gathering ride in the Quantocks that weekend! D'oh!

nbt

Aye, big d'oh from me too, we're in the yorkshire dales that weekend!

robdob
    Free Member

Booooo. Why are these things never on a Saturday?

Trekster

Chipps….There is a Lakes one in Jan, clareym will post details/mail you an invite 😆

I am working but have a day up my sleeve 🙂
    If I can get some others interested and can find it on the map 🙄 will see what can be done.

Jenga
    Free Member

robdob – Member
    Booooo. Why are these things never on a Saturday?

Organise one!

marsdenman
    Free Member

I'm around on that date, starts pretty much on my doorstep…… now, where did I put that Big Book of Excuses…..?

What's the route Keith?

robdob
    Free Member

Mine would be 10 miles with lots of cake. Anyone up for it?

ton

keith, i'm away matey……. 😥
    at inners and glentress……….. 8)

Ben_mw

Can't see of a reason why I shouldn't be able to come out and play. Hopefully it'll be myself and Hazel, but we'll see. I'd be interested in the route too…

Trekster

ton – Member

keith, i'm away matey…….
    at inners and glentress………..

I am off on Sat 5th, working the 6th, so if I don t get down to Marsden I will pop up and have a ride with you Ton 🙂

Bunnyhop

Keith please can we make it another date? I'm away too.

robdob
    Free Member

Organise one!

Friend organised one in Holmfirth. People said they'd come, no one turned up. Great.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I'de try a Saturday one.

Jenga
    Free Member

OK, try this. Saturday 5th December. Gargrave. Meet 9AM for 9.30 start. Coming?

justme
    Free Member

jenga sarcasm or plain awkward
    why make it the sat before?
    make it a different sat and people will make both rides instead of potentially choosing one or the other
    i for one would certainly be interested g

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Is this open to anyone? It's my home town and a cracking boozer 🙂

Jenga
    Free Member

i for one would certainly be interested g

Over to you. YOU can fix it up. Remember you must choose a date that suits everybody. You are not allowed to just pick a date, you must know when everybody who might possibly be interested will want to turn up. Good luck in finding that out. I'll certainly come, but you must choose the date that suits me, or I'll complain, just like you.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Will tey and make it this time. Don't have anything to do with xmas until I really have to!

Junkyard
    Free Member

jenga I dont think G was comaplaining simply pointing out that many of us would struggle to ride two days in a row – not fitness just family and other things.
    A fair point I think

Trekster

If you have to moan and the date does not suit you pls go elsewhere 🙄

ton

sorry guys, agree with trekster…….if it don't fit, don't come.

these rides are decided at the end of the previous ride, it is how we have done it all year.
    and it works.

lowey

Yep, we always arrange the date on the previous ride. No need to change things about. If you try to plan these rides to suit everyone, someone will be left out. Like me, in this case. Sorry Keith, cant make it as its our groups Xmas ride / piss up the day before.

See you all in Jan.

marsdenman
    Free Member

web-toed – yep, open to anyone – just like the Riverhead….. 😉
    Ben – be good to catch up with you again

RobinL

I'd like to tag along on this one please.

Will the route include the Pack Horse Road descent ?

😀

scotabroad

Sorry for highjack.

Ton I should be able to meet up with you at GT/ Inners for one of the days.

I might, just might be able to persuade a local to take us round the local hidden trails if you fancy?

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Excellent. I reckon I'll be up it. Any ideas on the route?

justme
    Free Member

jenga
    i've already done one and it worked as it was in done the same way as all the other rides have been all year ( see above posts from lowey, ton, junkyard, trekster etc)
    these rides have run all year with no probs with people prepared to put themselves out to show off their local trails to people who could get there on the set date at the set time (which must have averaged 25 or more per ride at tons ride in calderdale we set off with 48)with these being decided at the end of the previous ride when the next person offered to do a route
    If you want to post a ride up and offer to lead it great butif you make it the day before another already organised ride don't be supprised if people can't make it g

hp_source

Wow, I get the feeling we couldn't have chosen a worse date….

Open to all as always, riding to the pace of the slowest rider, and jelly babies galore!

Vague route is out of marsden in a meltham direction, over and down wessenden valley :-), up and over to saddleworth (castleshaw/larkhill/delph), up and over 5 ways, piethorne, back down packhorse for a muddy/rocky finish. Plans to add in a little more is we happen to get a crisp winters morn.

AndyP
    Free Member

ooh…sounds good Will have to consult re the date though. if you're starting from the wrong side of the hill, coming over here, then going back over that way, do you still need visas and jabs?

justme
    Free Member

kieth it will work just fine always going to be a bad date in dec
    crisp winters morn would be good or snow would be fun g

hp_source

AndyP, wrong side of the hill was suggested to mean that the riverhead is close by… it also gives a couple of nice downhill sections too. Jabs etc required, passport control in standedge cutting doesn't open until 10am, hence the early start!

AndyP
    Free Member

😉

hp_source

Little bump and update,

Recce ride completed yesterday, route sorted (if a little boggy in places).

To keep those who like a mid-ride refresher, the Royal Oak at Heights is indeed open at the approx passing time, and does nice beers and crisps :-).

marsdenman
    Free Member

Greetings from the Sun Inn in Kirkby Lonsdale – the joys of a good pub, a pint and real fires and free wi-fi 😀
    Good to hear the recce went well – guess the middle stretch of PackHorse was all but a quagmire!

I'm still up for it……!

Also, Mrs MM has very kindly offered to rustle up home made soup and bread for post ride nourishment (prior to hitting the pub 😀 ) we will keep an eye on the post for numbers so we can fill the right pan so, please, if you're a 'lurker' that will be coming, do make yourself known……. we don't want a scuffle over soup rations 😀

If anyone wants to arrange to drop your clean and dry pub kit off with us before the ride do drop me a line – e-mail is in profile – we're only 5 mins walk from the start / end point, same from the pub!

Also – do check the trains if taking that option coming over from the Greenfield side as it's been a bus service for the last month or two due to Sunday work in the tunnel.

Cheers C&S

lowey

After a bit of shuffling around… It looks like I can now make this ride after all.

wors

I think i might come along for this one, not been on one for a while.

Bunnyhop

Sorry marsdenman that you weren't there to join us on the recce ride, t'was good.
    Yes the Royal Oak was superb, with 2 roaring fires and a lovely landlady who allowed us muddy folk to dry ourselves out by a fire.

Slight downside were the total toss pot MXers riding roughshod all over Marsden moor, then 'f ing and blinding' at us 'cos one of our group was brave enough to stand up to the louts. We were sworn at for at least 5 minutes even though we were legally on the packhorse BW.

Thanks once again H_P for leading us round.

justme
    Free Member

chipps theres been northern gatherings every month for most of the year
    kieth I'll be there prob with others
    lowey have you moved the sat ride cos both was looking a bit tight g

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘STW Northern Chapter Ride – 6th Dec – Marsden/Saddleworth’ is closed to new replies.