Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • STW Purbecks ride? Anyone interested?
  • rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Late September or mid October possibly, the tourists should have gone home by then. Can't do first weekend of October (retro ride down here, time to dig out the old Alpinestars).

Usual format, 10ish start at the ferry, stop mid route for a munch/slurp, back to ferry mid afternoon. Just hope the wind doesn't blow.

Any takers?

knottie8
    Free Member

Im a maybe.

oldfart

so am i .

69er
    Free Member

Yep

DrP

I'm in….

DrP

oldgit
    Free Member

Definately,would have to stay the night before, but I've been waiting ages to ride thePurbecks.
    Was going to ride from Studland up onto the ridge towards Corfe (ain't gotthe details to hand)and back.

cinnamon_girl

Yes but am concerned about the sea crossing as presumably there could be rough conditions at that time of year 🙁

simondbarnes

Can't do end Sept/early Oct but if anyone is around over the BH weekend/week after and doesn't mind battling through crowds of grockles then I could be up for a ride as I'll be down that way with a bike.

dobo
    Free Member

i dont know what i'm doing tomorrow let alone sept/oct but i'm up for it.

rOcKeTdOg

i'm a maybe, fokls caravan permitting, i'm there in 2 weeks time too, is it ok for 29ers?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I'll be there, date pending. Not really that busy then so shouldn;'t be a problem.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@oldgit, we'll definitely be up on the ridgeway, which way we are going is dependent on wind conditions. Its even better up there at night (winter evenings here we come), lovely views over Poole harbour, IOW and Swanage and Corfe Castle. If anyone is coming down before this ride, post on here, as there's always rides going on, over 50 riders out on a group ride Wednesday night this week.

@rocketdog, anything goes bike wise. The fit boys down here can singlespeed it. We'll be dragging 20 year old bits of steel around here in a few weeks time.

@c_g, bring your armbands in case it's too choppy and we have to bale out.

Mulletus, are you bringing your bike down week after next?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

We're down for rach's bithday so the bike probably wouldn't go down to well. I can come back down later in the week for a ride if you fancy it?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Bring it down early, stash it here, then wednesday afternoon casually ask if she wants to see my missus, then drop the bombshell. What could go wrong?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

This is Mrs MM reading your post. Nice try!!!!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Foiled again, RATS!

oldfart

CG me and paul will be on hand with a life jacket !!!!!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks oldfart and Paul, very reassuring 8)

69er
    Free Member

CG, sea crossing? Hardly! it's about 100 yds! Don't try and swim it though…

Anna-B
    Free Member

Great idea RT and I really want to go back to the Purbecks – not been since the last group ride. Will see what date you decide on, have some commitments coming up Sept/Oct. Will hope to be there.

luke
    Free Member

Possibly, depends if I can make my way all the way over to the other side of the Purbecks.

johnners
    Free Member

I'd like to join in if I can make it. My only experience of the Purbecks is careering down some bridleway years ago on a rigid Trek 800 (Sport!) hauling on the cantis for grim death, it'd be nice to revisit on a bike with actual brakes.

cinnamon_girl

kona_ona – last year some of us STW'ers went across an ocean (Southampton Water) and I was just about freaking out, particularly when we went past the new P & O cruise liner 😯

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Potential dates – 12th/13th Sept or 26th/27th Sept.

I can do Saturdays or Sundays, so will go with what ever suits the majority.

Do any of these dates clash with other rides / events?

69er
    Free Member

I'm ok for any of these dates.

CG, I'll hold your hand on the 'sea crossing' as long as you push me up the climbs 😉

patentlywill
    Free Member

Brecon Beastis on 13th September

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Preferably not the 12th, can rearrange if needed.

dobo
    Free Member

hmm both them weekends have multiple southern events on, i'm sure not everyone will want to do them though and you cant please everyone right.

myself i hope to do the Blast on the 20th sept, and MaXx Exposure on the 25/26th sept

possibly cheddar bikefest on the 13th

http://www.numplumz.com/cal/1.htm

cinnamon_girl

rusty – would prefer 26th or 27th if possible.

kona – why, thank you! I now have 3 gentlemen to look after me 8) Not sure about those Dorset climbs though!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Snap decision then, lets make it the weekend of 26th/27th September. Still up for debate over Saturday or Sunday. Holidays are over by then, so Saturday morning /Sunday afternoon traffic should be back to somewhere near sensible (in-laws took over 4 hours to get here from London on Saturday!)

Sods law says this is the weekend we'll be moving house, not sure how i'll square that one with the missus.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Gonna go with the Sunday as that may encourage a few locals to tag along (help with guiding/route). Sunday morning traffic in late September should be fine, and afternoon/evening traffic will be a lot better than this month.

Route will be 'flexible' depending on weather/wind direction. Hope to catch the 10am ferry from Sandbanks, so anyone coming from the west could meet us on Studland side if that's easier. Not sure if car park prices are back to winter rates by then, i'll check next time i'm down there, if not there is some free on-road parking amongst the posh houses.

Route will be plenty of ups, plenty of downs, wonderful views and probably gusty winds. Can be ss suitable if you're fit enough and the pace will be typical stw (steady with plenty of chatting). Can include scenic pub stop and/or Corfe cream tea stop and/or picnic.

Any suggestions / opinions warmly received, and can someone book some nice weather because it's grim over there when it's wet and windy.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Preview of some of the route on Thursday afternoon unless the dentist hurts me too much in the morning. Anyone down here on holiday?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I might well be up for this too. Twas ace last time. Keep us informed!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I might well be up for this too. Twas ace last time. Keep us informed!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry, keep meaning to post on this. Happy to help out guiding, but will have to sweep given current fitness! If you mail me the route I'll make sure I know it all.

elliptic
    Free Member

Sounds good, added to the diary 🙂

(…wots a Purbeck anyway? Do they bite?)

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Not too worried about the route at this stage, there's enough riding for a couple of routes, i'll just see what condition it's in nearer the time, and see which way the wind is blowing.
    Wouldn't worry too much about the fitness Rich, mine's shocking. Anyway, the last ferry home's not until 11 o'clck, so there's no hurry.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Purbecks have been known to bite. Little sand dwelling types fed mostly on scones and cream.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I'm going to be on the way back from holiday then….. hmmmmm…. will I ever make another STW group ride?!
    It'll be a great ride, good memories of the last one there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

yes, it's reasonable to day trip from here so if your chosen date fits with my other half's agenda 🙂 then I'd love to join you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘STW Purbecks ride? Anyone interested?’ is closed to new replies.