Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • STW Ride – Cragg Quarry – Saturday 1st May
  • Ed-O
    Free Member

To launch the new mountain bike trails at Cragg Quarry in Rossendale, Lancashire, we are having a launch ride out there on Saturday 1st May.

The idea is to meet at the Buck Inn, Cowpe at 10am. We'll have some coffee, do a bit of pre-ride faffing and then roll out and up the Mary Towneley Loop to Cragg Quarry. There will be plenty of time to put in a couple of laps, at whatever pace you fancy, on the excellent new red grade loop before heading back down to the Buck Inn for beers and food if you're in the mood.

Here's a link to a map, showing the location of the Buck Inn.

The new trail uses the former quarry landscape and makes the most of the flowing, rolling lines of the place to make a fine example of 'flow country' riding. There are plenty of berms, rollers, ups and downs to pump and pedal to your heart's content. The trail complements what is already at Lee Quarry. It is also a little bit different. I think it's really good. Please join me and see for yourself.

The trail has been designed by Rowan Sorrell and been built by his company Back on Track. The Cragg Quarry trail is the latest development in the progressive trail building project that is taking place in Lancashire.

So are you coming or what?

Drac

Might see about that depending on work.

Harry_the_Spider

Oooooo… I'll apply for a pass out.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

Ohhhhh i'll see if I can get the driver will bring me
    Caz xx

lowey

Balls! Camping in settle that weekend.

Trekster

Is it worth a 6hr round trip from oop North?

AdrianW
    Free Member

I should be able to make it but I'll be cycling over from lboro so I'll join you all up at the quarry

hora
    Free Member

Would love to but if I'm on Surrey hills duty that weekend 8)

philfive
    Free Member

i shall be there 😀 is there a link over to lee quarry or a way over there? looking forward to this a lot 😀

MrSparkle

Sounds good. Might muster a posse from Darwen.

stumpyjon

Think I've just secured a pass. You sure you want to ride UP the MTL 😯

TonyL
    Free Member

some of us might push a little!

wors

gutted, away that weekend. you doing another ❓

albino
    Free Member

Sounds great….may also meet everyone up there as I'll be coming over from Rochdale. Having said that beers at The Buck afterwards sounds good!

Was up there today and met a good bunch of lads. Managed a couple of loops and it's fantastic. The trail works you hard and keeps you on your toes – going to try and get up there at least twice a week.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Albino – i'll be heading over Rooley Moor as i live nr Tesco! 😆

Mr.Trail-Motions
    Free Member

Sounds good. I wouldn't mind coming over to check it out if I'm free on the day..

Ed-O
    Free Member

You sure you want to ride UP the MTL

There's nothing like a gentle climb to start the day……and that's nothing like a gentle climb!

Those that want to race up there are just as welcome as those who want to amble along on foot. We'll all get up there and it's definitely worth the effort.

stumpyjon

I must admit the one and only time I've ridden up that way it was my breakfast that was coming up. What a great way to start a 47 mile ride 😳

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hope to tag along and see how it should be ridden! 😉

Cheers Paul

Naranjada
    Free Member

The number of 30-minutes-from-Manc, summer evening playtime, feature laden trail centres just doubled …winner!

Sounds like fun, count me in.

Iain

jamievosper
    Free Member

how long is it??
    will try and make it
    sick of working bloody weekends!!!

stumpyjon

Sort of as long as you want really, the quarry is only about 1.2 miles long so I would assume a lap of the trails can't be more than 3 miles. The ride (push) up to the quarry is probably about 2 miles.

Ed-O
    Free Member

The Cragg Quarry loop is supposed to be 4.5km (2.8 miles). However we kept putting extra turns in and deviated from the originally planned line to make best use of the shape of the ground, so it could be a bit longer!

jedi

mmmmmm, possibly

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

i fancy it but may ride up from rammy , probably up fecit brow if any body fancies it

JimBowen
    Free Member

Think I'll be up for it Ed as long as my missus doesn't drop our baby early and may come with my old man and my pal Rich.

Will be a good chance to meet you before the Skills course we have booked on the 20th of May with you.

Will have to dust the cobwebs off the old iron pig as iv'e not used it for 3 weeks due to DIY commitments 😐

Baz

xherbivorex
    Free Member

think i'll be up for this; it'll be my 42nd birthday weekend treat ride! which bike though- stiffee or bouncy 6"er?

Ed-O
    Free Member

Stiffee for sure. It's almost all smooth hardpack up there.

Nezbo
    Free Member

xherbivorex – hehe it will be my 32nd birthday ride as well. we will have to bring cake 🙂

Ed-O
    Free Member

Oh yes. Please bring cake.

And hip flasks.

footstomper
    Free Member

xherbivorex – hehe it will be my 32nd birthday ride as well. we will have to bring cake

And there was me thinking you looked around the 40ish bracket 😈

xherbivorex
    Free Member

And hip flasks.

mine'll have ginger beer in it…

Jamie
    Free Member

Trekster:

Also is it worth a 6hr round trip from daahn saarf?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Can't make the 1st, so I took a sneaky trip up there last night to check it out.
    Jees' that's one hell of a climb from the Buck!!!
    Worth it though – the quarry's an absolute scream.

It's a bit addictive… "just one more drop", just one more berm", "just a bit more", "This bit was good last lap – I'll just do it again", "just one more time through that drop", "I'll stop and rest in a bit".

Really quite entertaining 😀
    It just keeps egging you on faster and faster until you inevitably loose it and it spits you off so you can take a breather.

Warning though. The pub was shut when we got down about 9:30 😥

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

How do you get to Cragg Quarry from Lee Quarry? Is it possible at the moment and how long/how far is it between the two?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Nuts, I've got to go to a wedding on the first. Not far from me though, I'll have to get down there. Another time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I shall grace the occasion with my presnce but more importantly my cakes – can you hear the vegan xherbivores delight?
    No idea of climb but I suspect I will walk.
    Leaving from Chorley if anyone requires a lift

Elsa
    Free Member

I'd be keen to come along to this. Would be good to meet some local riders…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

johnnie, i plan on attempting to make a veganised millionaire's shortbread for this…

Ed-O
    Free Member

Trekster:

Also is it worth a 6hr round trip from daahn saarf?

It is if you make a weekend of it and ride Lee Quarry on the Sunday. I could link you some accommodation if you're interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘STW Ride – Cragg Quarry – Saturday 1st May’ is closed to new replies.