Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • STW SkiClub – Recommendations please!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am looking for the following;
    Very good beginnners and intermediate skiing, along with a little bit of off piste playtime. Would be good to have some leisurely blues down to the village/resort as well, in case of large lunches!
    Good snow in late January
    Quiet(ish) resort, not full of lager louts pretending that getting hammered and vomiting = “Apres ski”
    Stuff to do away from the piste, such as an ice rink, cross-country or toboggans etc.
    Nice location, not some prefab monstrosity

So, your suggestions please!

Stoner
    Free Member

portes du soleil is my favourite (a mate of mine I once had to arrange a H evac off a ridge for has a couple of apartments there which are at my disposal woohoo!)

http://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/
    Morzine for a more fun vibe, or the smaller villages around like Chatel, St Jean d’Aulps, or Montriond. All the little villages have at least one bar/restaurant for easy evening fodder. Most of the eateries in town are a bit touristy although there’s a few specials ones like the clin: http://www.restaurant-leclin.com/ although it’s changed hands since I last went – fingers crossed it’s still a great little restaurant and bar.

Huge area with varied pistes. Plenty to do in the area – check out the activités sportives on the site for details.

easy to get to and some of the smaller villages are bargins if you have transport.

RealMan
    Free Member

Tignes? Not sure about the extra stuff to do away from piste.

Dark-Side

Les Arcs is a vast area, runs to cater for all abilities and great off piste opps higher up. Last year the conditions were fantastic in late Jan and we have booked again for this year we enjoyed it so much. Loads of good restaurants and bars but its seems to be an older crowd in general so no groms causing mischief.

If you go week commencing 31st Jan you could even meet me for a beer! How are things any how? I’m back up North now, I couldn’t resist the pull of ‘proper’ riding any longer!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Norway. Some gentler slops, better suited to XC ski-ing, but absolutely perfect for beginners, plus XC ski-ing is really good fun. I found it easy to gain a lot of confidence in just a short time, and there’s not the ‘oh shit how do I stop’ terror.

Spensive mjnd. But definitely something a bit different to the average ski-ing holiday I’d imagine. Probbly a lot quieter too. Plus the Norwegians seem to be really into snowboarding and that too. The Winter culture is a lot less touristy, as it’s just daily life for most people there.

—————————–

I’m hopefully going to be negotiating the use of a place near Perpignan for MTB and ski-ing holidays, very reasonable rates to STWers. 😉 I’ll keep you posted…

Creg

Montgenevre is a very nice little resort. Big skiing area which can get busy during the french/italian holidays but it remains lager lout free. Good off piste stuff and the lift pass gives access to Sestriere and Serre Chevalier as well. Montgenevre village sits at 1850m with top lift somewhere around the 3000m I think. Quite a nice little village, especially as they have now put in a tunnel moving all the passing traffic underground. There are a few ski in/out hotels/chalets available.

St Martin de Bellville is also worth a look. Quite a nice little village and you can get access to everything up the Belleville valley which means lots of variety both on and off piste. St Martin is low, 1300 I think, but Val Thorens village is at 2000m

donald
    Free Member

Tignes is almost the complete opposite of what you have asked for!

I’d consider La Clusaz.

Resort altitude 1110m – 1110m
    Highest lift 2477m
    Lowest lift 1110m
    kms of piste 130km²
    Black pistes 7%
    Red pistes 20%
    Blue pistes 23%
    Green pistes 22%
    Snow parks 2
    Glacier No
    Snowmaking Yes

With the caveat that at 1110m you are not guaranteed good snow in a bad year.

donald
    Free Member

Nor would I go to Norway in January, the sun doesn’t come up 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, noted, thanks.
    DarkSide, blast from the past! How the hell are you? Already done Les Arcs and liked it a lot. Didn’t like the long transfer, though!
    Creg, skied some of Montgenevre last year, as well as much of the Via Lattea. Great area!

Keep ’em coming!

Dino
    Free Member

Saalbach / hinterglem
    zell em see/ kaprun
    all 1 hour transfer from salzburg etc..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nor would I go to Norway in January, the sun doesn’t come up

A fair point actually. The sun does come up, if you’re below the Arctic Circle, but not for long, and it can be propperly bastard cold. Late January/early Feb wouldn’t be too bad, and there’s a better guarantee of snow than some other places.

Definitely a ‘different’ experience mind. And there are some pretty remote places if you chose to be adventurous.

Just an idea.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Vallandry. Nice little village at the bottom of tree lined runs connected directly to Les Arcs also connected by CC to La Plange. Enough skiing for weeks, great in January as the trees give it shelter so you can ski in a white out. Never any queues on the lifts and a great place to learn as it has some nice easy blues and reds. However it also has some full on off piste and blacks as does Les Arcs.

Breckenridge CO. Plenty of great beginner runs nice and long but flat and wide (off of Peak 9) Great intermediate blues on peak 8 and 9. And good expert runs. Apres is good in January there’s less people as it’s outside of spring break and other holiday times over here.

Ice rink 5 mins walk from base of peak 9, dog sledding on the outside of town. Free bus service to keystone for tubing or to Frisco for tubing if they finish the building work.

Best of all I work as an instructor there so you can borrow me for guiding!!

Two cross country centres on the free bus route as well. One is a short way from Peak 8 base.

khani
    Free Member

We went to livignon last feb and it was great, loads of snow as well, plus loads to do when your not skiing, some good snowbird and ski jump comps to watch in the day, and it wasn’t full of berks either,

khani
    Free Member

I must add that all the people I went with are decent skiers while I am not,
    I slide down things in abject terror until I crash at the bottom! But I enjoyed it immensely anyway.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone been to Ischgl or Galtür? Looks pretty ideal so far.

Livignon and Vallandry look good too, thanks!

nbt

Courmayeur. Picture box village, great skiing, off piste in the trees if the snow’s good, possibility of doing the Vallée Blanche (without the terrifying arete entrance) if conditions permit. The only bit it fails on is skiing down to the village, it’a a gondola ride up and down – but the restaurant on the mountain are fabulous anyway, it’s in italy

higgo
    Free Member

Livignon and Vallandry look good too, thanks!

If you mean Livigno and you’re aiming to avoid ‘vomiting lager louts’ you should think again.

I’d consider La Clusaz.

Consider also Le Grand Bornand next door.

edit: NBT’s right about Courmayeur too. Off piste options include the Vallee Blanche and going over the back to La Thuile.

nbt

Dear god, if you thought les arcs was a long transfer then avoid Livigno. Les arcs is circa 2.5 hrs from geneva, livigno is a 5 hour transfer!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks re Livigno, both.

DavidB
    Free Member

Sainte Foy

Woody
    Free Member

Yep – avoid Livigno as it also has a 5 hour tfr.

La Clusaz, Montgenevre, La Tania, are all great, Kaprun when it has snow on the local lifts without going all the way up to the glacier every day is also great fun as would Kirchdorf and lots of other Austrian resorts which are much better value than they used to be, with greatly improved/modernised lift systems.

dab

la clusaz / grand bornard is a good choice
    short xfer from GVA , tree skiing, classic french charm, other posters have commented on it being lower but in Jan that shouldnt be an issue

done morzene and would suggest other resorts
    Montgenevre / Serre Che gets a big thumbs up too

la plagne doesnt have huge nightlife but very good skiing in jan

turin
    Free Member

breckenridge +1 its the only place I have returned to, best holidays of my life

smiththemainman
    Free Member

You have in my opinion just described Flaine in France, just rebooked for 3 rd consecutive holiday,Wife and kids all learned there and can`t get enough now.Not a lager lout in sight.Have fun.

Bunnyhop

Folgarida – Dolomites, Italy

Val De Sol mtb races were held there a few months ago.

It’s a lovely little resort, with enough to keep your group happy.
    Good Pizza restaurants, not too noisy or wild.
    There is the opportunity to ski over to Madonna de campiglio and back in a day, a very posh village, where the woman still parade around in their fur coats.

Only one tour operator has acommodation from the U.K. So book early.

Creg

You have in my opinion just described Flaine in France, just rebooked for 3 rd consecutive holiday,Wife and kids all learned there and can`t get enough now.Not a lager lout in sight.Have fun.

Tis a bit of a concrete monstrosity though.

Agree on the slopes though, simply brilliant resort. Loved the Serpentine run back down to the resort…huge grin factor for that 😀 Some fantastic off piste stuff as well. I liked being ready for first lift and heading down to Les Carroz, runs so long if felt like they were never going to end. Many happy memories from my season there

What about Schladming? I personally have never been but have friends who have worked seasons there and they say it is simply brilliant. Good range of runs and a very nice village.

Bunnyhop

Been to Mongenevre a few times and the snow reliabiltiy isn’t always good.

However I would second Flaine, its downside though, is the awful 1960.s purpose built village. It’s worth putting up with that for the skiing.

Mintman
    Free Member

Anyone been to Ischgl or Galtür? Looks pretty ideal so far.

I looked at that but ended up with Igles; smaller, nice and high and very austrian tyrol looking.

Not millions of miles of pistes but doubt I’ll cover what’s there in 1 week anyway!

higgo
    Free Member

No mention of it in the OP but if childcare is an issue, I can further recommend Le Grand Bornand.

We’ve used their “Mom’en Ski” service twice a year for the last three years now and they’re superb – drop the kids off at 9:30 and they take them to ski school. Then they pick them up from ski school, feed them (well) and let them play ’til about 2pm when we pick them up and ski with them a bit more.

p.s. Flaine – some really good skiing but not a pretty town – I’ve only been there for day trips so I don’t know what it’s like at night. Based on the skiing, I’d happily spend a week there.

clubber
    Free Member

Breckenridge again – went there on honeymoon and it was fantastic. Not much more expensive than France/etc either once you add in all the costs once there.

Plus other resorts nearby if you’re there for two weeks and fancy a change. And the Pearl Izumi (cycling) outlet store nearby 🙂

Bunnyhop

10 – we stayed in a rented house in Frisco in the mid 1990’s. It was a real cowboy town then. Guys wearing chaps, stetsons and everything.

nbt

RE: flaine

Agree on the slopes though, simply brilliant resort. Loved the Serpentine run back down to the resort…huge grin factor for that Some fantastic off piste stuff as well.

Flaine is a resort on a massive limestone escarpment. There are potholes there that would swallow a bus. You should treat it like a glacier. If you;d ski off piste on a glacier, fine, but otherwise take the appropriate precautions

geoffj

I’m loving this, El Fred offering the captain advice on where to go skiing.
    😆

mafiafish
    Free Member

+1 for les arcs, plenty of through the woods blues and reds but has the high altitude open runs too. Some very long, easy blues with great views too.

surfer
    Free Member

+1 for Les Arcs. So much variation and even when its busy once you are out of the villages it quietens out a lot plus the wide pistes make it ideal for learners.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Second DavidB, Sainte Foy is pretty much ideal for what you’ve asked for. Pretty village (all wood/stone, no concrete!) quiet, immaculately-groomed pistes, epic off-piste. All funnels back to the village, so easy to meet up for lunch/hard to get lost! 1550m altitude and snow-making on the lower runs, so very snow-sure.

Drop me a line if you want any advice. We’re pretty full already for late Jan, but might be able to sort something out depending on dates, etc.

La Clusaz and Grand Bornand of those listed above are closest to meeting your requirements (that I’ve been to anyway), but both are very low. I personally don’t like Les Arcs much for skiing/snowboarding (better for mountain biking!).

Rio

Nice location, not some prefab monstrosity

You have in my opinion just described Flaine in France,

Flaine has to be the worst prefab monstrosity in France. Only place I’ve been back to and regretted it. Some reasonable skiing but that doesn’t make up for the resort making your local Asda look like an architectural gem. Also no apre-ski to speak of.

Some of the Austrian resorts are greatly improved recently. Have you thought about St Anton (not nearly as bad for lager louts as you might think – they all go to Solden) or Lech/Zurs which share the same ski area? Or Obergurgl – small but very pretty and with a ski area out of proportion to the size of the village hence uncrowded slopes and untracked off-piste.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If you want a nice village most Austrian and Swiss fit the mould. Exchange rates ith Swiss franc are not good so I reckon Austria. It’s where I will be going this season. There is lots of choice for intermediates. Drunk austrians are not like drunk Brits. They are quite safe, even fun.

Frisco in the mid 1990’s. It was a real cowboy town then. Guys wearing chaps, stetsons and everything.

BH – It still has it’s moments. The BBQ festival had a fair number of cowboys as you’d expect!! Without doubt my favourite thing about being here is the Texans and their skiing in jeans and starter jackets!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘STW SkiClub – Recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.